Sightings WOW, photos not so... (Oct 2018)

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Sightings WOW, photos not so... (Oct 2018)

Post by Mel »

The wildebeest also were in and out - except for one day when we didn't see a single one at the waterhole, despite the drought all around us :shock:
DSC_2276_00015.jpg
DSC_2278_00016.jpg

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And what followed this sunset would become a night to remember :-0
DSC_2284_00034.jpg
At about 2.15 am we were awoken by the jackal howling right at the waterhole. But unfortunately it had started the alarm too late so we only heard the leopard coughing after drinking but never saw the cat itself.

We had just fallen asleep again - kind of lol - when the hyenas started howling and barking. Nothing of the friendly giggling, but fierce and serious sounds that were coming from right underneath our bedroom window. The (younger) camp hyena was under attack of two older ones that we had seen drinking at night before. I don't have any pix of that because I hardly dared peeping out of the window, constantly feeling watched by the hyenas. Now the reason, why I found that experience so unsettling was that two nights before, the people who had stayed in the unit next to us, had tried to lure first a brown hyena, then the camp spotty with "kom, kom" and went as far as throwing the spotty some meat morsels. Just imagine what might happen if the hyena learns that there is food inside those strange cubicles… The canvas will certainly not hinder such a strong animal from getting in. O/

Anyway, the bickering and fighting went on for an hour and it was just before five by then. And although I was dead tired after having slept very little, I was also wide awake and decided to make myself some coffee and see what would appear in the darkness of the early morning hours.

Well, here you go - a couple of lions walked in around 5.30 am.
DSC_2298_00001.jpg
DSC_2306_00002.jpg

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Half an hour later a very nervous brownie walked down the fire break, sensing the presence of the lions.
DSC_2316_00003.jpg
But it all got too much and so it ran off.
DSC_2321_00004.jpg
While the female had walked out of sight, the male was still lying in the riverbed, soaking up the morning rays.
DSC_2326_00005.jpg

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We had thought that the brownie had given way to the lions, but it turned out that the camp spotty had been the reason for its distraught…
DSC_2350_00006.jpg
It had obviously survived the nights ordeal well :yes:

After that, the day was done. In a very literal kind of way. Even though the lions never showed up at the waterhole again, they must have been close by and none of the antelopes dared coming in for a drink. But, hey, who are we to complain after a night and morning like that. O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The two kudu bulls are very handsome, those horns.......... ^Q^ ^Q^

The spotted hyena looks young, it is not ugly at all. Maybe it is the quality photo and not the animal =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ag, thanks, but no. It's the hyena itself. It is younger than the other two fat ones that only came in for a drink, while this one was around all night. Somethings in total silence and with nothing to proof its presence than the spoor next morning O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

\O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

All great pics, Mello! X#X

Our hyenas come into camp whether there is a fence or not! lol

Love the night lions - is there a spotlight on the waterhole?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, but spotlight is cut off at 10 pm. So this is torch light. :-)

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O

Hyenas all over the trip reports this weekend! lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”