When the mice can’t play....... KTP June 2018

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: When the mice can’t play....... KTP June 2018

Post by Mel »

You had awesome sightings! Leopards all over the place, cheetah and a great BEF sighting too O:V

I strongly believe that the crows are being fed… Why else would they stick to a car 0-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

10 June: Our last full day in Mata Mata

We were up and ready to set out for our morning drive well before gate opening time, so we took a moment to take in the sun rising over Mata Mata

Our morning drive proved to be one of the quietest of our trip so far.
Luckily the birds were out and about.

A Gymnogene at 14th borehole bounced around the trees in search of something to eat

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29FSBft]Image

These white backed vultures were busy nesting

And a little bit further down we spotted this Lilac Breasted Roller

WE eventually got to 13th borehole, and decided to return to camp as obviously nothing much was going on, and while there is nothing wrong in that, we had been a bit spoiled over the past few days.

The trip livened up a tad near Dalkieth when we came upon a journey of giraffe, with two young males testing out each other’s fighting skills

It was cool to watch and we were amazed at how hard they actually hit each other

Back in camp a ground squirrel came to say hi

Whilst we were in camp we took the opportunity to do some housekeeping in preparation for our move to Twee Rivieren tomorrow

We also had a quiet evening drive down as far as Craig Lockhart, where we had some sundowners

While we were there some more giraffe came along

And came in to drink

We returned to Mata Mata and enjoyed another African sunset The end of a rather quiet day for us in the park

Last edited by GavinW on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Another lovely sundown photo, also thanks to the PCG in the tree ;-) \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Thanks everyone
:o0ps:

11 June : Twee Rivieren here we come:

Today we were moving from Mata Mata to Twee Rivieren, so after collapsing our campsite we got out of the gates about 30 minutes after the official gate opening time.

The vultures were still in their tree near 14th borehole

And besides general game we saw very little until just before Urikaruus

What we missed yesterday

Yesterday, if you remember correctly, we had decided to turn around at 13th borehole. What we didn’t know then was that the two cheetah which we had spotted the day before had made a kill in the riverbed. We were told about it in camp the previous evening, and had tried to ignore the fact
Anyway as we approached Urikaruus, we were obviously on the lookout to see if we could see any remnants of the kill.
Well we did. These really cropped pics taken directly into the sun proved the fact that we did in fact miss the previous day’s action

But then you can’t be everywhere all the time.

Besides the cheetahs, we did see a lot of general game as we made our way down south.

Auchterlonie called for a fry up. O/\

Breakfast in a stunning setting. Yummy

And a view down to the waterhole, where a whole lot of wildies were also having breakfast

Another Black Shouldered Kite

We got to TR probably around lunch time. We were booked in to camp there for two nights before heading off to Rooiputs for our last stint in the park, and were hoping to get a campsite up in the un-electrified sites at the back of the camps site, as these were a bit more remote and thus quieter than those in the camp site proper.
Well, we weren’t in luck. A tour group in a big overnighter had taken over the entire area. No ways could we slip in there
The rest of the campsite was also pretty well full, so I made an executive decision.
Chalet
Luckily we were able to obtain one for the two nights, so I bit the bullet and we checked in
:shock: 0:

Luxury  O\/ O\/

That evening we took an evening drive to “That tree” and back

Met up with Barbara and Marcus, our next door neighbours at Mata Mata and now again at TR

And one of the highlights of the day, a Verreaux Eagle Owl making a lot of noise whist perched on our roof

Last edited by GavinW on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Cheetah cubs O/\ O/\

Pure bliss not to un-pack and pack again, ehh? X#X

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

12 June: With the birds about, the mice still can’t play

We made sure that we were out of the gates early, and before the big tour bus
The sunrise to the east is always spectacular, and no more so than over the Kgalagadi veld

Some Bokke were having a bit of an argy bargy near Leeudril

And the just past Rooiputs we spotted this chap

A caracal

O\/ O\/

A brief sighting but a caracal tick none the less ( How many this trip :shock: ?)

Excitement over, we returned to the norm
A couple of tawny eagles in a tree

We went up to Melkvlei for coffee and a comfort break, before turning around and after Kij Kij we set off over the Lower Dune Road

There we had one of the most awesome Secretary Bird sightings we have ever had in the park

After that a PCG was keeping the mice in hiding

As did this black shouldered kite

Back at camp
Lest we forget we were are, I really needed to take a photo of something, anything

So I decided to remind us where we were :-0

And that evening our friendly Giant Eagle Owl was back : O/\ O/\

I must admit, it is pretty hard writing a trip report where basically nothing happened during the day, but to those readers that think the Kgalagadi provides sightings on tap.
No it doesn’t, you need to work for them, and be lucky. Then it’s worth every second when the Kgalagadi does deliver

Tomorrow Rooiputs -O- -O-
TBC

Wishing I was in the KTP
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very good, Gavin! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Amazing how some trips can be filled with unusual sightings and big cats and how others tend to be rather quiet on that front lol
Am really curious to see what the Kgalagadi will have in petto for us this time :-)

Can't believe that they allow those tour busses in there… or those monster camper trucks… Really spoils the KTP experience for
others, methinks, because they are an ugly sight in the middle of the desert :evil:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is shocking that they allow big busses into the park 0*\ and if they get stuck in the sand? O**

Caracal! ^Q^ ^Q^

The birds can mostly save an empty KTP day ;-)

GavinW

Post by GavinW »

13 June: Unucky for some, Lucky for us

After a few quietish days, we were excited about and looking forward the last leg of our holiday, four nights of unfenced camping at Rooiputs.
We slept in (a little bit), enjoying our accommodation whilst we could, and eventually left Twee Rivieren at about 8 in the morning.

Our plan was to drive up to Rooiputs, and, if possible drop off the trailer in campsite no 3, our home for the next few nights, and then to carry on along our morning drive, to return to camp at mid day to set up camp.

Initially our drive out was pretty quiet

However we did have an amazing sighting of these bokke, looking stunning in the morning light

And of these ground squirrels being as inquisitive as ever

We managed to drop off our trailer, thanks to the lady who was busy vacating the sight, who had no problem with us invading her space
That done and dusted, we carried on up towards Kij Kij.

About 5kms before the waterhole Debbie spotted this on the Botswana road

Wishing I was in the KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”