Not what we expected KTP Dec Jan 2017

GavinW

Not what we expected KTP Dec Jan 2017

Post by GavinW »

Not what we expected: KTP December/ January 2017

As always, the majority of the photographs are taken by my stunning SO, Debbie (aka as Wannabe Nerd), with a few muk and druk shots from the driver of the Jap

Long ago (in the “olden” days) the authorities used to close the park over the peak summer months due to the intense heat which was generally experienced in the Kalahari at that time of year.

I know that. So when we booked a trip to the park from the 24th of December till the 10th of Jan this year, we went up to the park prepared for hot,( and given the present drought in the country), dry conditions.

Well the Kalahari had other ideas.

Join Debbie and I on this trip and we will show you a trip to paradise which was totally out of the box in more ways than one.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Re: Not what we expected KTP Dec Jan 2017

Post by GavinW »

Friday 23 December Our trip begins

I think its age, but the days when we used to drive up to the park in one go seem to have passed. In May when we were last in the park, we stopped over at Keimos and did the same this time.

I am still in two minds about this strategy as I would rather maximise my time in the park.

However, it was not to be, and after leaving home in Cape Town at 5.30, (yes you read right!) we arrived in Kiemos at about 3pm.
The accommodation again was great and we had an awesome swimming pool all to ourselves

Swim

braai

Our first sunset

and bed :-)

Wishing I was in the KTP
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Oh, goody! More from the Kgalagadi ^Q^

I'm with you on your pondering about the one stop strategy... Actually, I'd welcome a night in Upington after having done the long haul flight from Europe.
But with only two weeks, that one night is way too precious to be wasted. So we compromised on taking it really slow on our first day to shake off the hectic.
But in contrast to you, we move into a chalet and don't have to pitch our tent when we get into the park. Also a point to be considered.

Debbie looks very relaxed and happy though with the stop over accomm :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
pooky

Post by pooky »

With you on this trip, and looking forward to seeing the KTP in a different mood.

We stole a few hours off work on the Friday afternoon and stayed in lovely accommodation
just beyond Citrusdal. Still quite a long hop to Kgalagadi lodge. Our first night in the park
was at Polentswa.

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Welcome Mel and pooky 0/*

Christmas Eve: We head off to the park:

Excited at the prospect of returning to the park, we wasted no time in leaving Keimos and were on our way by 6 am
We stopped in Upington to fill up with petrol and coffee and at the Kalahari Guesthouse to pick up some biltong

About 50km before the Kgalagadi, se had our first sighting. About 50 white backed vultures in a tree and on the carcass of either a sheep or a goat, quite close to the road. Unfortunately our camera equipment was still buried deep in the mess of stuff packed into our car, so no pictures. 0*\

We arrived at Twee Rivieren at about 9.30am, and had to take the compulsory welcome pic at the entrance to the park.

Once we had done all the admin stuff, we headed off to the petrol station to see if we could fill up and to deflate our tyres.
We had heard that the petrol pumps were malfunctioning in the heat and the supply of petrol could not be guaranteed after 10am as the temperatures rose,
We were in luck, and I made use of the new self service air pumps to deflate the tyres

We soon out in the park on our first game drive. We decided to take a trip up to Kij Kij and then return to Rooiputs to set up camp and to meet our campsite companions

Long story, but via social media and with some fluke we had discovered a few weeks before our trip that Botswana Wildlife had double booked Rooiputs no 4 with ourselves and another couple for December 24. After a few phone calls, e-mails etc we had all agreed that the best solution was to live with it and hopefully we would still have an enjoyable first evening in the park. As things turned out it was great.

Anyway I digress. Our trip up to Kij Kij and back was pretty quiet

I had to take a photo of THE TREE

We also spotted this barn owl

And some black backed jackals on our travels, before going to set up camp

Wishing I was in the KTP
harrys

Post by harrys »

Yes....another KTP TR to prepare us for our first trip to KTP in November ^Q^ ^Q^

I liked your photos at Keimos...that sunset and the view ^Q^ ^Q^

0() 0()

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
pooky

Post by pooky »

Great start in KTP.

Love the barn owl.

The jackal look quite thin :-?

It looks like the clouds are already rolling in :O^

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Alf

Post by Alf »

Great start ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Our first evening drive, a drive with a difference

I have always associated rabbits/bunnies whatever you call them as being nocturnal animals, but this trip proved that to be wrong. (Well so we think.)

We set out on our evening drive and the first sighting of note was this guy who thought that 4pm was definitely night time

Just before Kij Kij, we came upon another nocturnal species, trying very hard to pretend it was night time.
A Verreaux Eagle owl and her chick in a tree

We got to Kij Kij and I have notes that besides 13 cars, we saw a lion which proceeded to roar. :o0ps:
The notes must be correct, but we have no pics.

We were probably scared off by the attendance at the sighting. We are such snobs :o0ps:

We turned around to head back to camp and just after the intersection of the Botswana and SANParks road on the way back to Rooiputs, Debbie asked me to stop to look at an owl up on the calcrete ridge

Happy wife, happy life, I obliged :-)

Just as we were leaving. I noticed some movement in my rear view mirror
I stopped, reversed and we saw what had crossed the road behind us.
A stunning African Wild Cat

On the hunt......

Let the pictures take you through the next minute of our lives ( sorry mousey) :twisted:

The net result was a very happy kitty

On a total high on having experienced our first kill of the trip, on our first day, we returned to camp and a wonderful steak braai with Charmaine and Juan, along with all the prescribed campfire talk that goes with the territory
We hope to touch sides with them again soon back home in Cape Town
Thank you Botswana Wldlife O0

Wishing I was in the KTP
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

=O: =O: =O: You snobs! ... Well done on fleeing the scene lol We would have done the same... 13 is definitely a crowd :shock:

Love your owls! :-0

And of course what a stunner to start with! Not only an AWC but also one hunting successfully - WOW O/\

THE TREE <3 <3 <3

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”