Let me think......................
Flutterby

Re: Done and Dusted

Post by Flutterby »

Great to see so many cheetah together! \O

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Mel - thanks for all the information. You certainly know your cheetah. Please feel free to use any pics you would like - have no problem with it.
Corinne and her offspring were seen at Samevloeiing at about 16h50 on the 19th August 2015. Sounds like she should rather be called rabbit with her breeding =O:
Ekon was seen on the Botswana side of the road roughly 7 kilometers from Melkvlei on the way to Kij Kij on the 17th of August 2015 at about 14H35
We also avoid crowds and that is one of the reasons we did not stick around at the second cheetah sighting and we did not want to have to speed to get back to camp :-)
We enjoy having our own personal names for animals makes it seem as if we know them. The bees were not too bad - but I didn't need to be stung twice on one trip - once was bad enough O:V I don't think Jax was singing "I kissed a lion - I liked it" definitely needed some breath freshener :O^

Lisbeth - perhaps we should recruit him for the South African diving team - but I'm sure he would not be happy away from his family :-) Agree totally about too many cars - would far rather see anything without cars than one of the bigger creatures with many cars.

nan - fortunately it was only one idiot - the rest of the people were all considerate and polite. This is the problem when people see a lot of cars they don't slow and look around but barge in and ask what one is watching. Probably spent their holiday roaring around - not seeing anything unless someone else had stopped at a sighting.

Alf - You may have a point about checking for speedsters =O:

Flutterby - it was - except for the cars. Then again if it had been at Kruger not far from a main camp there would have been 70 cards instead of 7. There was no blocking of the roads -or bickering and fighting to get a better view - bar the one lot and they did not stick around very long.

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Heading back to camp, we did not spend too much time searching for an African wild cat. We had decided if we were going to see one- we would see one. It seemed we were having a day for big birds. We did stop for a short period of time to watch these two interwact with each other. At least they were not arguing and squabbling.

We had every intention of enjoying our last night in the park. We were treated to, possibly, the most beautiful sunset of our stay.

It was almost as if we were watching a painting being created in it's various stages. Not letting sad thoughts about leaving get to us - we sat around our fire- watching Mr Fox at his nightly ritual.

One topic of our conversation was various trips we had been on. We were both in agreement, that in the past, way too much time had been spent getting up at the crack of dawn and spending the days chasing from one place to another looking for animals. It is always a wonderful experience to have a good sighting and the uglier side of human nature is we all want to see something unique and exciting that possible no one else has experienced so we would have bragging rights once we get home.

How often did we forget we were on holiday and bowed down to the pressure of driving around instead of rejuvenating our souls by doing nothing but enjoying camp life?
How often did we forget the pleasure of just sitting out in the bush with stars the only illumination?
Do we travel and kill ourselves just for the privilege of seeing animals or do we rather take the time to absorb the beauty of nature?

We both agreed we had been blessed with this trip - but at the same time our most amazing time was the meteorite streaking across the sky. The sitting relaxing far away from people, listening to a crackling fire and the night sounds was priceless. This is what makes a trip to the bush special. These are the moments when you are filled with peace and the worries and cares of your life do not enter your mind.

Deciding we had done enough philosophizing for one night - we were soon back to being kids in adults bodies.

With the visit by PeeWee and Herman and , we assume PeeWee, ducking under the tables, we had changed tactics with our "table barrier". Time for a last bit of fun before we got some sleep. We wanted to be packed and on the road the minute the gates opened.

We woke up bright and early and, honestly, the Kgalagadi did not play fair. With the magnificent sunset set of the previous night - she tried to outdo herself with the sunrise the next morning!

Fortunately it only takes about 30 minutes at the most to be packed and ready to go, so we were on the road to the gates as early as we had planned. On the way we saw three honey badger motoring towards the dunes. We did not stop as getting a picture was not highly likely.

At the gate we bumped into a couple we had seen at the previous evenings cheetah sighting. We started chatting and they said the cheetah did kill - but they were the only car left there. It happened behind the trees at the waterhole - they did say they battled to get pictures as most of the action was too far from were they were sitting and obscured by the trees. At least the cheetah had full bellies for the night.

We chatted to the Botswana guys with a couple of queries and concerns we had regarding people driving off road after dark and a few other things. This procrastination did not delay us all that long and all too soon we were on solid roads heading home.

So my story - like my trip is done and dusted.
(but a repeat trip is currently in the planning stages for next year :-) )

nan

Post by nan »

love the balerines \O

and the fence =O:

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ and thank you... till the next 0/0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ai, MoggiEEEE! Goosebumps all over!

This has really been astounding, one of the best TR's ever, IMO!

Thanks so much! O0 O0 O0

I don't know which pics to nominate, or which media to send to, you must say! 0:

What a privilege to see this!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Just great, entertaining and soothing for the soul \O

I am sorry that you did not see an African wild cat :-( A very egoistic consideration, as I love those small kitties :yes: ;-)

:ty: Moggiedog O0

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks moggiedog,

for a most entertaining trip report which I enjoyed tremendously ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

For sure you still had incredible sightings during your last hours - The lions are brilliant, then love the cheetah, the quirrels in a row or the meerkat on the look out O/\ O/\ O/\

:ty: for everything O0

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

An amazing trip and TT!! ^Q^ I'll have to get that red sand between my toes one day! :yes:

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

A last thank you to you all for participating in my report. I hope it brought the feel of the Kgalagadi to those who have never been and I hope it brought back good memories to those who have been,

I also have a confession: I appreciated all the comments - but at the same time feel very guilty 'cause I am shocking at posting comments on TT - I lurk around reading and enjoying all the TT's but very seldom comment - which is not nice. I will try and be more interactive with trip reports in the future - but I won't promise 0/*

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”