Kgal Dec 2015

Flutterby

Re: Kgal Dec 2015

Post by Flutterby »

Can just imagine the noise at the lion sighting! :shock:
jb72 wrote:Maybe she was a real beauty, and the males were being chivalry, but to klap your wife out the way to protect a hotty? That's just ballsy - they truly are the kings of the jungle.... :twisted: :twisted:
=O: =O:

The loss of your camera gear must have been awful for you!! :-( I've deleted pics by mistake and that was bad enough! 0*\

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

jb72 wrote:The highlight of the trip was one morning when we found the pride of 11 at Kij-Kij. They were quite relaxed, and were scattered all over the area. This was also the first time we saw the mother and cubs with the pride. The next moment another female came strolling over the dunes down to the waterhole. All the females in the pride suddenly jumped up and started stalking the new female. Once she had finished drinking she started walking to the big tree just south of the waterhole. Suddenly all the females in the pride charged her, and started attacking. The sounds were just incredible. The girls in the car, wife included, did not like the show, and were crying and asked me to drive away (yeah right). The next moment the two males came charging over and started sorting out the pride females. The literally placed themselves between the "intruder" and the attackers. Each time one of the pride females would try to attack the single female the males would stop them, and give them a bit of their own medicine. You can imagine the noise levels at this stage!!! This also put a big smile on the ladies in the car's faces, as the handsome princes came to the rescue of the damsel in distress. Eventually the pride females realised they were on a hiding to nothing, and retreated. The males stayed close to the damsel for a while.

This really was an awesome sighting. Any clever people out there that can explain what happened? Why would the males defend a "stranger"? Maybe she was a real beauty, and the males were being chivalry, but to klap your wife out the way to protect a hotty? That's just ballsy - they truly are the kings of the jungle.... :twisted: :twisted:
Howzit jb72 0/*

Jezz, awesome to witness this ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ A once in a lifetime sighting :-0

You must have had a major pelican due to the loss of your camera kit O/

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

jb72 wrote:
My wife kept a journal, so I can probably go look for the exact date, but I would guess it was 19th or 20th of December.
@#$ @#$ :-( This happened just after we left the 16 Dec 0' 0' 0'

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Wow, would love to have witnessed that interaction! O\/ O\/ Scary, but also adrenalin inducing! :yes: O:V

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Dave is one of their insane Botswana buddies...he pitches up here more and more... lol

Dunno about KTP, jb, as maybe more panic about water and territories than Kruger re lionesses, but they will attack unknowns from another pride, even males, no problem.

The males are generally stupid, and easily confused around any potential mates, that is all they live for if they have control of the area? -O-

Can pass this on to experts if you like? X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What a story, jb72! :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm sure it was a totally exciting thing to watch. And I will happily admit that I probably would have shed a tear at the beginning as well. But I love the happy ending (for all we know at least...).

Maybe the males just saw a chance to make their pride even bigger and therefore stronger. -O- But that's just a very uneducated guess. lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”