It's so dusty, the animals can't see...*

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: It's so dusty, the animals can't see...

Post by Mel »

On our way back, we then found lappet-faced vultures at Kamfersboom. :-)

And mum hyena who had just returned from a bath in the waterhole at Kamqua lol

What a perfect day with some perfect farewell gifts we had had! O:V And after days like that we never go out in the evening anymore. It can't possibly get any better than this and we were more than happy with what we had been given. X#X

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

31 October - Urikaruus and Out

This morning we had to leave at gate opening time since our flight left Upington at 12.50 pm and it takes about 3 hours to get there from the park. So we planned to leave Twee Rivieren by 8.30 am the latest which gave us 2.5 hours to drive the approximately 70 kays from Uri - not that much, really. :O^

We were well on time, car packed and ready to go when the spotted hyenas showed up in the parking area and the slip road. Our car doors were wide open and basically an invitation for the hyenas to explore what was in it. O-/ Of course we didn't dare to leave the safety of the gangway between the units but Eric told us it would be alright. So Spots darted to the car which set the hyenas in motion too. Luckily, not in our direction. lol

Once I was able to gather my camera - which had already been in the car - I was finally able to take some photos.

The hyenas made it to the waterhole for another drink and since the sun finally came up and the light got better, I had to take some more photos.

They then wandered off in direction of their den at Kamqua.

It was actually five of them but I didn't managed to get them all in one frame...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

It was now 6.20 am and we really needed to get going. Hopefully there wouldn't be anything too interesting along the route. lol

We still made time for the owl at Montrose though. \O

An excellent idea! It turned out that there were two chicks in the nest. O/\

The second one is hidden by mum, though.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Arriving at Batulama we stopped to check for the leopard. It's Miera's territory and we hoped to see her and Masego again. But there was nothing around the waterhole or in the ridge behind it. However, about 400 metres or so down the road there was dust flying in the riverbed and the very distinctive shape of a large spotted predator to be seen through the binocs. 400 metres can be a very long distance when you hope to see cheetah or leopard! 0*\ Well, we arrived at the scene a tad late and all we got was a leopard scampering off into the dunes, accompanied by a very agitated Cape fox...

There was just one other car at this sighting and they had watched the leopard trying to steal one of the Cape fox's offspring. 0' Not sure, if it was successful but from what we could see of the leopard, I'd think it was not.

Even if it was a fleeting sighting, I was lucky enough to get an angle that allowed me to compare that leopard to my own Miera and Masego photos from March this year and was able to ID the leopard as Masego. O\/

We later heard that there had been two leopards to start with, so I reckon Miera was nearby as well but didn't show. :twisted:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

About just five minutes later, we found some meerkats in the riverbed. :-0

I guess, they were playing hide and seek and it was the right one's meerkat turn to count and seek the others. lol

Also, some preening :-)

Unfortunately, we had to leave the little ones quickly again, but were really delighted with the luck of our sightings! O\/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Final stop was at the owl tree close to Twee Rivieren, but them two were rather sleepy that morning:

Image Image

The End

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”