Kalahari Reflections March 2014*

GavinW

Re: Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post by GavinW »

March 19: Our little visitor

One of the highlights of staying in Rooiputs no 5 was the visitor we had each morning and evening at our campsite. A small cape fox. We first saw him the day we were pitching our tent when he ran past and went to sleep under a nearby bush. We didn’t want to disturb it at the time so we never took a photo of it then. Well as hard as I tried each day after that it elluded my lens. Problem being we don’t carry our cameras around with us while in camp, and it would always pitch as we are busy with something else and be gone by the time we got ourselves organised.

This is the best I could get :o0ps:

Seems I got a gecko though 0*\

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

March 19: cont. A day for the small critters of the park

Today we were to relocate our campsite by about 100m to campsite no6. Rooiputs no 6 is set out much better than no 5, with a large tree quite close to the A frame as opposed to the set up at no 5, where we had a 50m walk from our tent to the A frame, so we were quite excited at the prospect of moving
As a result of this we decided to go south first thing in the morning, and return later to move camp.

First up was this juvenile PCG, one of the few we saw this trip. We saw loads of adults, but only a few juveniles.

Inbetween Rooiputs and Leeudril, there is a large sociable weavers nest on the side of the road. We always pause there to see if we can spot a cape cobra.
When we got there this morning, no cobra, instead a family of slender mongooses. Their coats shining in the morning light

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

March 19: cont

We drove down as far as Samevloeiing before returning as planned back to camp to move home

Once settled in we ventured north again up to Kij Kij, over the lower Dune Road and up to Kamqua

Flowers on the dune road:

The usual suspects (and jenand) were around

This sighting of a Pygmy Falcon was probably the highlight of the drive

We returned to Rooiputs to enjoy the first evening in our new campsite, after another quiet, yet enjoyable day in the park

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

And this pic especially for Caracal's SO.

Doug your handywork at work ^Q^

Thanks a million.

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

20 March: Rooiputs day 5, and still waiting!!

Before I say what I have written next, let me explain that NO day in the KTP is a bad or boring day. They are all filled to the brim with different experiences and memories. That being said,

This trip to the Kgalagadi was frustrating in a few ways. We had seen some out of this world sightings, but then we also had quite a few quiet periods where we would go for a few days without seeing anything besides the usual. We know that this happens and accept it as part of the whole KTP experience.

However, when your trip is nearing its end and the road map is pretty empty, it can lead to some frustration.
March 20, 2014 started out as being one of those days. Then it teased us a bit, teased us a bit more, and then went back to being one of those days. :evil:

We decided to head up north towards Melkvlei

All was pretty rustig as we bounced along the by now pretty badly corrugated jeep track between Rooiputs and Kij Kij

This rather bedraggled BBJ broke the monotony.

Just after Kij Kij we heard a lion roaring. Yes Jackpot!! We were about to spot our first lion in a few days.
We spotted him high up on the dune. Shouting his head off. The pics are quite far away- that’s because he was, but he sounded as if he was right next to the car. Goose bump stuff.

The lion wasn’t going anywhere, and after a while plopped down and lay flat on the dune. We decided to carry on north.

Melkvlei was quiet, but about 5kms after Melkvlei we found a whole lot of lion tracks in the road, heading north.

You need to have experienced that sort of “sighting” in order to appreciate the anticipation one gets when you try follow a pride of lions along the road.

You don’t always get lucky, but often you do. Lions are lazy, and will walk along roads because it is easier than walking through the bush, and you often catch up with them.
We went all the way up to Kransbrak, and saw zip.

The frustrating thing was that there were loads of buck around just waiting to be made supper!

As well as few other critters

and our feathered friends

We turned around and set sail back to Rooiputs, where we had a rest before going through to TR to get supplies.
Along the way jenand showed us where to spot some suricates!!

Thanks Jenand

Back at camp, this wasp made quite a hit!

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Our last day in the Kgalagadi has consistently provided us with stunning sightings, as if to tempt us to return the next year

Last year we saw this (Hannes Lochner eat your heart out!!)

What would 2014 bring ?

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

21 March: Our last full day in the park, and we know what that means!!

A word of warning. This day will take a few a few posts to complete, and is conducive to major Kgalagadi withdrawal effects :twisted:

We woke and headed north as soon as the gates would allow.

Our first sighting of the day was these gemsbok and springbok up on the dune silhouetted against the sunrise

Then the predictable tawny

And lanners

Another argy bargy :twisted:

The day was slowly turning into a repeat of the last few days along Tawny ally. Loads of wonderful raptors but a shortage of predators.

Until we saw this amazing jackal family greeting each other in the morning light

We met up with jenand again at Melkvlei, exchanged stories and decided to head back south together

About 2 kms from Melkvlei we stopped to look at two tawnys sitting in a tree..

We wondered why they were so intent on looking down at the ground

Eventually Debbie decided to follow their gaze and saw this!

We quickly waved jenand down and showed her what we both were NOT looking at

Wishing I was in the KTP
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ontlametse (Spelling...) O:V O:V O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Her name is Ontlameste

According to the Kgalagadi Leopard project, she was born to Tswana in May 2012 (When we were last in the park), she was first sighted on 18 June 2013 and the most recent sighting of her was ours which jenand reported in. (Thanks Jen)
Her range is between Tierkop, Kij Kij and Kaspersdraai.

I am amazed at the size of that range. It is awesome!! :shock:

Once we had got over the surprise of spotting a leopard literally meters under our noses, we started to appreciate the sighting.

She sat there looking at us, and us looking at her for quite a while, as if to say “What are you looking at?”

She stuck her tongue out at us,

and decided that things would be more comfortable up the tree.

She did a pretty good job of getting branches inbetween herself and us in the process

Now I need a new page :O^

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Thanks ladies O0

More of Ontlameste

Leopard sightings are always special to me, so I have no problem in posting more pics of the young lady.

She eventually climbed down the tree

And wandered off towards Kij Kij, doing her very best to avoid the paparazzi

She then climbed up another tree, a bit further away this time, looking for breakfast methinks!!

But Gemsbok are a bit optimistic!

Before continuing on her way, along the ridge before disappearing into a thicket.

We were so chuffed with the sighting and when we got back to Melkvlei and met up again with jenand to reflect on the morning so far, there were a whole lot of high fives!

Wishing I was in the KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”