KTP March 2013 - Now I've had the time of my life... *

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: KTP March 2013 - Now I've had the time of my life...

Post by Mel »

And another KTP first O\/

Image Grey headed heron

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We then arrived at the second crime scene. 0' The offender had left and tried to hide out here:

The victim laid dead next to the road. :-(

With no doubt about my intentions, I told Spots that we wouldn’t go anywhere until we had made an arrest here. :twisted: We had actually been on our way to TR to do what we always need to do and things were a bit dicey. But you got to get your priorities right and our help was needed to solve this crime. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

As perpetrators always return to the place where the committed their sin, the murderer of the innocent steenbok made no exception to this rule. This particular one had been flushed out by a jackal detective who came too close for comfort. Thanks, Detective Jackal! 0/0

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We had waited for 30 minutes for the rooikat to show. We had enjoyed watching it feed on the steenbok for 10 minutes. And that was all we got because hell had broke loose in the roads. Cars were piling up. The cat couldn’t handle it and disappeared again. 0*\ We couldn’t afford O/ to wait for another 30 minutes and moved on to TR.

On our way back, just when coming down the dune road that connects the TR side with the Aoub riverbed, some hartebeest had congregated.

At Houmoed a hamerkop was sitting on one of the eland carcasses.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We checked on the caracal. But it was still / again hidden and there were too many cars around for our liking, so we proceed towards Kieliekrankie.
But it didn’t take long to bump into yet another traffic jam caused by this gentleman.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Cars left and came and piled up. :O^ But when he got up it was only another car and us and so we were able to trail him without disturbing the lion too much. We had left the fellow visitors to take the lead as they had been at the sighting before us but at some point they allowed us to go first. Which enabled us to get a bit ahead of the lion and to get some shots of him approaching us.

But the joy didn’t last for long as other cars arrived and some of them made no bones about their intentions to jump the queue to get into the prime position. Spots wanted to follow a bit more but I had borrowed BC’s pelican and couldn’t be bothered anymore. ^0^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

On our way back we bumped into two Cape shovelers in the middle of the road. Another novelty in the KTP. O\/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

At the first crime scene of this morning, the cleaning up team had moved in and had performed a brilliant job. :shock:

Actually, they were still at it - video courtesy by myself -O

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=1z227oo&s=6

Seeing that it had become late and quite hot as well again, we decided to check into KK and relax on the deck. We also decided not to go on a final afternoon drive anymore as we could have only spoilt the fantastic day we had experienced. More often than not – if we had such a successful morning drive we will usually be disappointed with what the afternoon produces. Plus, it gave us time to pack our stuff without a rush as we had to leave at gate opening time sharp the next morning. We only had about 1.5 hour to get to TR to inflate our tyres, get some patrol and for the check out process. 1.5 hours is easily manageable – but if you see something along the way, it’s a tight call. O-/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Anyhoo. In the evening we shared one last dinner with nan who would stay in the park for another three nights. There wasn’t much food anymore, but we put together what we had and I don’t think that anyone left the table hungry (or thirsty…) X#X Once again the rain had moved in just as we were getting our meat ready and it was kitchen time again. The three of us hatched some plans for future visits (nan ;-) ) and all too fast the time had come and we had to say our goodbyes. Actually, I would like to express my gratitude to nan about the fact that she discreetly left after dinner to give Spots and me some time on our own to say goodbye to our beloved Kalahari. 0/0 O0 The rain – or lack thereof – also played along and so the SO and I enjoyed a last drink overlooking the flood-lit waterhole. And what did our eyes see there?! Within a time frame of 15 minutes at least 5 spotted hyenas came to bathe and drink. What a way to end our holidays! :shock:

We crashed at 9 pm as we would be getting up at 4.30 am the next morning.

And if I had thought we had received our farewell gift already, I was wrong again! :shock:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I still haven't got around to do the second video again. :o0ps:
But let's continue anyway - time to round up things. O**

30/03/2013 – Kieliekrankie and out

It was still dark when we rose and for the first time we found it rather chilly as well. The sky was still covered with clouds that looked like soaked sponges… Naturally, the waterhole remained empty and we left KK at 6.30 am sharp without having taken another photo. nan was up and running already as well and came to hug us goodbye.

It was still very very dark and the Kalahari still seemed fast asleep. Not that I would have expected to see anything anyway. But I wasn’t worried. After all the KTP had already given us our farewell gifts the day before.

But 45 minutes after we had left KK, the varied selections or sightings began.

First up a cape fox!

Another treat as I only had seen Charlie Fax and her offspring at Uri this trip.

Spots had hardly moved forward again when I shouted ‘Stop’ again. For the Verreaux eagle owl.

And a minute down the road, Spots had to come to a standstill yet again. Another Verreaux!

We weren’t far from Houmed where we had seen the caracal yesterday and of course I had wanted to check on the rooikat again although I believed it to be long gone. Not at all!

Video by Spots:
http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=xe3brm&s=6

Now it paid off that we had done the first stretch of our way out without disruptions as it allowed us to sit with the caracal for a bit. Still after 20 minutes we had to get going again as the clock was ticking and you never know what might prevent you from getting ahead. 0*\

Well, this chap was…

He called out for his family and was soon on their heels in the dunes.

And that was that… But – WOW – we had gotten an almost one to one copy of the sightings from yesterday! :shock: And we felt blessed. O\/ There is nothing like a caracal as one of your last sightings before you leave the park! O:V

O0 0/0 Thank you, Kalahari – you treated us extremely well again! 0/0 O0

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”