Browns in Kruger July 2016

RobertT

Re: Browns in Kruger July 2016

Post by RobertT »

=O: =O: And here my fomo was telling me I should maybe do the H4-1 and will meet up with you on there if I turn on old Shokwane road and cut across to Saletjie road and then over the bridge and back. =O: =O:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What? No leopard yet? lol

I'd have take photos of the nightjar AND the sunrise... how about that, Mrs. Grumpy :O^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Puff Addy wrote:How dare you get in the way of what was probably the most original sunrise photo in the history of humanity! lol
Agreed lol Kruger is full of "different" people in holiday season :O^

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:Rather a sunrise than two night jars 0- 0*\

Such a nice squirrel O/\ O/\ lol
I put the squirrel in for you Lisbeth \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

RobertT wrote:=O: =O: And here my fomo was telling me I should maybe do the H4-1 and will meet up with you on there if I turn on old Shokwane road and cut across to Saletjie road and then over the bridge and back. =O: =O:
So that's where you disappeared :twisted: We ended up arguing about what car you were driving =O: I hope I didn't miss anything =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Mel wrote:What? No leopard yet? lol

I'd have take photos of the nightjar AND the sunrise... how about that, Mrs. Grumpy :O^
Yip, a quiet morning O** Ja, there are some "planks" in Kruger during the holidays :O^ When in April are you visiting KNP O**

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

14th Lower Sabie continued

It was a beautiful morning for a change so we parked off at Orpen Dam for a while watching the odd local coming down for a drink.

We were now all hungry and sick of being in the car, so we ducked back down the H10 as it was the quickest way to Lower Sabie.

The H10 was quiet as per normal but we did stop a few times for some of the usual gang.

As we arrived at the H10/H4-2 intersection I conned for a short trip down the H4-2 as I knew about a leopard which is often spotted in this area around 4km from Lower Sabie.

The H4-2 at midmorning in holiday season is chaotic, so I quickly lost interest once in the leopard area as surely someone would have spotted it if in the open, however the Cow was on the ball and I don’t think she even knows how she managed to spot the leopard as it was only visible through one small gap in the bush.

I was still trying to position the car in front of the gap when the leopard suddenly got up and started cruising which caused a few panicked pics through the twigs.

In seconds the leopard had disappeared into a bush next to the river and nobody else had seen it. I couldn’t believe that it had turned into “Harry Houdini” so we spent 10 minutes reversing and then slowly going forward again, which only resulted in a mini traffic jam of “What do you see’s”, so my irritation was growing, hence decided to cruise back to camp for breakfast.

The rowdy gang next to us were in form again, but fortunately the parents took them on a camp tour, so I could enjoy some peace.

At around lunch time the Cow ducked off somewhere and I was alone and bored, so ducked into the unit to disguise a strong whiskey mix in a bottle of water, but as I took the first sip one of the rats game charging in “Robert is outside the swimming pool area”, so I followed with my jippo water bottle.

Robert was on a camp cruise with his junior while his senior was chasing some Pokémon app thing in another part of camp.

Albert came charging up to us 10 minutes later and informed us that she thought there was a leopard in front of the Lower Sabie deck, but we laughed it off. Later that day Robert advised us that Albert had been correct, so I wasn’t popular with Albert and I’m still getting chirped about it.

For our last afternoon drive we wanted to take it easy, so decided to cruise up to Nkuhlu and back.

The causeway produced a giraffe with a suspect foot and then a few birds popped up for the Cow, but there wasn’t much happening so stopped for a loo break at Nkuhlu and soon were heading back towards Lower Sabie.

Somewhere on the way back we bumped into Robert and informed him that it was quiet, so he turned and we continued in convoy.

A few minutes later a small ellie herd crossed in front of us and Robert tried to get me to pass, but I couldn’t work out if he was setting me up due to the Cow’s fear of ellies or whether he was afraid of the ellies; however I was under instructions from the Cow to remain where we were.

We tried to find the Houdini leopard from the morning, but time had run out, so we cruised back to camp.

We had a chat with Robert in the Lower Sabie car park and decided to link up at Mugg & Bean for a chow later, but first we had to repair the faulty window patch job, “Roberta”, properly as we had a long drive to Imfolozi the next day and I would never handle the Roberta rattle the entire way.

When we arrived at Robert’s spot I wasn’t sure who had the worst neighbours because his were louder than ours, so in minutes we were all on our way to Mugg & Bean.

I have never been to any Mugg & Bean before so this was a first and I don’t want to seem too critical of the chow and service, but for us it wasn’t fantastic for the price, so we won’t be doing it again, however at least Robert was good company.

After saying cheers to Robert we cruised straight to bed as a long day and the Swazi border politics awaited us in the morning.

To be continued

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I love the pic of Orpen Dam ^Q^ ^Q^

You saw another leopard :shock:

You missed a leopard :twisted: lol
The Cow got some nice raptors \O

You and Robert have better only go eating together, because together you do not seem to have much luck when it comes to sightings lol

It ones happened to us having a window that did not work and we had to do a long, long way on the motorway. A doubled black garbage bag and stripes of large tape Criss cross, vertical and oriental close together and tense. At least for us it did the trick. A bit late to tell you =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lucky to see nightjars...what idiots those people were! 0*\

FOMO in the park is terrible! lol If a car behind us disappears I always wonder what we've missed until they catch up with us again!! 0*\

Another awesome leopard find...well done to the Cow! ^Q^ ^Q^

Mugg and Bean used to be really good value for money, but their prices are a bit stupid now! :O^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ahhh, there is the leopard lol And there would have even been another one if you had listened to Albert. I just thought how handy it is to have five people to check out a camp's perimeter, but no use if the chieftain doesn't believe it :twisted: lol

Great raptor shots!!! O/\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”