The Big Cat Diary and a Couple of Lifers

Pumbaa

The Big Cat Diary and a Couple of Lifers

Post by Pumbaa »

Unfortunately already back from another exciting trip to Kruger 0/*

First thing we realized was the extreme drought visible throughout the park which was shockingly to see. The worst areas suffering under that drought were the areas around Satara and Olifants and the Letaba river was also nearly not existing :evil: The Sabie, Olifants and Crocodile river were still flowing and even in some smaller rivers larger and smaller puddles existed. At least it rained one night at Skukuza and one day later you even could watch the grass grow - On our last two days whilst in Shingwedzi it rained the two days nearly completely not that hard to fill dams but the puddles in the Shingwedzi and Mphongolo rivers got huger and the grass and more leaves were also growing extreme fast \O 0/*

You also know that neither Timon nor I only hunt from one cat sighting to another but I simply had to use this title as we had some of our best lion sightings around Satara we ever had in Kruger with lot of studying of typical lion behaviour but also the spotted ones allowed some studies too. Due to the drought I did not expect to see that much birds as during a wet summer but we even got to see some lifers. For sure the European rollers and bee eaters were rare and only after the rain they suddenly occured from everywhere.

Will start with this travel tale as soon as possible but still had to go to a couple of pictures to sort the best ones out which will take a bit of time. Simply wanted to let you know that we are back safe and sound 0/*

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
harrys

Re: The Big Cat Diary and a Couple of Lifers

Post by harrys »

0() 0() 0() This sounds interesting 0()

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

what where the sightings like around shingwedzi, will be there shortly and welcome back 0/* 0/* 0/* 0/*

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

0() 0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Toko

Post by Toko »

0/* Welcome back :-0

Alf

Post by Alf »

O/\ O\/

I'm ready for this drive :-0

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Welcome back. 0/*

Puff Addy

Post by Puff Addy »

Hi Pumbaa,

Looking forward to your lifers, bee-eaters and rollers! :-0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Welcome back, Pumbaaaaa! X#X X#X X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks so much everybody O0 O0 O0

PRWIN

Unfortunately at least for us but a relief for the park we had the two days we stayed at Shingwedzi a lot of rain so the sightings were a bit low but as the Shingwedzi does have a lot of larger and smaller puddles filled with water lots of water birds, elephants and buffaloes are around (I suppose most of the buffalo herds are in the area around Mopani and Shingwedzi) on top lots of antelopes are there as well (never saw that much nyala in that area), Kudus, Impalas, giraffes etc. We travelled this time via the S50 from Mopani and Tihongonyeni is bone dry but the area around the Nshawu waterholes is filled with every kind of game and when the S50 is then joining the Shingwedzi there are in fact a lot of lakes left filled with water birds and bathing elephants - Loved it there.

Heard about a wonderful Leopard sighting near Red Rocks (we missed it) The S52 was quiet (same is always quiet to us) so normal. My favourite in that area is always the S56 - Also in the Mphongolo there is water left even with hippos in and conseqeuntly attracking a lot of animals - There also not only water birds could be admired in a rain break from everywhere birds appeared (nearly all you can think about) and it was lovely to watch them (all in one bush or one tree) and never saw that much fish eagles and nyalas on that road. The grass started to sprout and even the bushes got more leaves when we left that area. Compared to the area around Olifants which is already rough on the ground but there no bush is having any leaves anymore the area around Shingwedzi is lovely especially along the rivers. I am sure you will love it. In case you want to know more just ask. X#X

The more often we stay there the more we love it and also the camp is very well maintained ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”