Six days in heaven

SammyA

Re: Six days in heaven

Post by SammyA »

It’s been 4 long (cold!) years since we were last in SA, and this time we were touching on some parts of the country we have never been to before. We’d planned a road trip starting in Jo’burg and ending in the Kruger, taking in KZN, the battlefields, St Lucia, Swaziland and ending with six glorious days in Kruger.

On our first day in the park we entered at Crocodile bridge gate (after a pleasant drive from Swaziland – very easy border crossing and decent enough roads), we had stopped to pick up some shopping in Komoortipoort so didn’t want to spend too long on the road on the way to our first camp – Lower Sabie. We arrived at the gate, sorted out paperwork and soon we were on our way! We been waiting for this moment for so long and finally we were here, in some ways it was sad –the beginning of the end of our holiday. The grand finale of our South African road trip.

The first animal we saw was a hot looking impala ram standing in the shade of a bush. He watched with a bored expression on his face as we stopped to take his portrait, I wonder how many people have his photo on their computer or tucked away in a photo album? Quite a few I would guess if he’s in the habit of hanging around near the gate.

We continued on our way and as we approached the turn off for the S28 debated whether we should just carry on up the tar or should we take the dirt road, we decided on the dirt (I had read it was meant to be one of the best roads in Kruger, so we figured it would be a pity to miss it!)

Soon we spotted another handsome man resting in the shade, this one had chosen a bigger tree that cast a better patch of shade than our impala friend had chosen.

More impala were nearby, this time a herd of females with their young, this youngster had a hitchhiker, looking for parasites but it didn’t seem too annoyed by its guest. It did look a little ‘ribby’ though, not quite worryingly thin yet but certainly not as well fed and fit as I’d expect. Unfortunately this was just the first of many animas we saw that looked on the thin side.

Another handsome gentleman was going for a stroll but he wasn’t in the mood to stop and pose.

Away in the distance, we though this beauty was just going to give us a back view....

... but as we sat and watched we were graced with a front view as well.

Not far away a striped one was wondering through the bush, but, like the handsome gentleman earlier, was in no mood for posing for photos.

Up ahead we saw a car parked at the roadside so we slowed incase they were watching something – the last thing we wanted was to scare whatever it was away. As we approached the car did a U turn so it was now facing the same way as us and parked on the roadside, watching something to the left of the road. We slowed even more, certain now that they were watching something, as we got closer we looked, in the grass, in the trees, but we couldn’t see anything. We paused behind, but still couldn’t see what they were looking at.

We were about to learn two important lessons 1) don’t drive past a parked car without asking what they are looking at, 2) people in Kruger can be awesome when it comes to sharing their sightings!

Not seeing anything we decided to keep going, slowly in case they were watching a bird or something. As we drew parallel with the drivers window, a man put his arm out and in a thick Afrikaans accent said ‘ STOP, STOP, there is a cheetah there!’. We stopped. And thanked him profusely!

The man explained where it was, and then continued on his way leaving us to pull into the space he had been parked in. It wasn’t an amazing sight, barely more than a cat head shape through the long grass, but none of us had ever seen wild cheetah and it was the animal The Husband had said he most wanted to see. Not bad, not in the part for more than an hour or so an already one ticked off the ‘would like to see’ list.

See what I mean about proof I saw it photos, the grass confused the camera so much that I couldn’t even get the AF to work, I had to use manual focus just to get this.

We stayed for a while, but the spotted one was seemingly happily snoozing and in no mood to get up and offer us a better view, and by now we were getting worried about the food we had bought and decided to leave him in peace.

Getting closer to Lower Sabie, this young man decided to pose nicely for his portrait.

Our last sight before getting to camp was quite sad though, this buffalo was standing in the shade. He looked very thin, worryingly thin, and generally miserable. He didn’t move at all in the time we watched him, not even to look at us as we pulled up or when we moved away. It was heartbreaking.

Alf

Post by Alf »

Sad to see the animals so thin......

Lucky to see cheetah just a few hours after entering the gate. \O

Now I want more please :-0 0()

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great storytelling SammyA, and a very nice start to the end of your trip. \O

Not nice to see the animals battling to find food. :no:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

0/* Sammy!

I love the pics of the impala with passenger, such a sweet face ^Q^ ^Q^

No raffes on the S28 :-? lol

So sad to see sick animals without being able to them :-(

0() 0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Excellent narration, Sammy! :ty:

A nice break from the cold! lol

Ja, buffalo are some of the first to chop off, unfortunately...they need to drink twice a day too...so more difficult to get to grazing and back to water... :-(

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote:I love the pics of the impala with passenger, such a sweet face ^Q^ ^Q^
That's my favourite as well! :-0

Entertaining read \O

And btw, we would happily follow the rest of your roadtrip as well around here. O** :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

Thanks for reading guys 0/*

I love impala, they are so photogenic (and you never have to wait in a traffic jam to watch them =O: )

Not a single raffe on the S28 that morning...... -O-

It was certainly a shock getting back to the UK, from mid 30's to just above freezing is too much of a change for me!

Really not nice to see the place so dry and so little food, we've only been once before and that was further north (Roodewal in 2008) but there was a real difference.
Mel wrote:And btw, we would happily follow the rest of your roadtrip as well around here. O** :-0
In that case I'll write that up once I've finished this one \O

SammyA

Post by SammyA »

Once in camp we checked in, had a look at the sightings boards and found our hut, number 54, one of the basic huts with 5 beds. There were some building works going on along the road from our parking spot as far as the swimming pool, but there was very little noise and we weren’t disrupted at all, the men working were quite polite, greeted us as we passed and waved a greeting to Monster when he was watching them on the roof (we don’t get thatch roofs in our part of the world!). For some reason they didn’t have any milk in Spar when we got our shopping so Monster and I set off to find the shop, we found the fence overlooking the river and I learnt another rule – always have your camera with you!

There were elephants, hippos and impala on the river bank and we could just make out a croc in the river. Then I spotted movement in the grass, and a huge lizard ran in front of us and ran up a tree, he sat on the trunk about 1 metre up and look at us before disappearing up the truck and into the branches. I couldn’t work out from my book what he was and I was gutted I didn’t get a picture of him – but luckily I would run into his cousins further on in our journey.

We found the shops (although the grass along the fence ran to a fence and what looked like a bit that was just for the bungalows and I wasn’t sure if we were meant to be there or not so we slip between two bungalows that looked to have no one home). We found the shop and I thought I’d have a look for some bite cream for Ratbag, we had had a night in Swazi on our way from St Lucia and he had been eaten alive by mozzies , but I couldn’t find any antihistamine cream and when I asked the person in the shop she just looked confused? Seems like it would be a sensible thing to buy, I can pick it up in my local village shop – a long way away from man eating mozzies!

Getting back to the hut I was greeted by The Husband and the first thing he asked? ‘Where’s the milk’, I’d bought maps, peaceful sleep and ice lollies but forgotten the milk, so Ratbag was dispatched. A quick swim (Lower Sabie pool is very nice, the water was lovely and it wasn’t too busy) and a look at the map and we headed out for an afternoon drive. There had been two leopard sightings along the H4-1 on the board so we headed up that way...........

Just need the page to turn, don't want to put too many photos on a page..... O**

Alf

Post by Alf »

Let's try to turn it O**

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lots of mozzies in Swazi?

Malaria quite low with the drought, but you must check, Sammy, just in case, even many weeks after a trip! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”