More Days in Paradise (TT Oct/Nov 2011) *

BluTuna

Re: More Days in Paradise (TT Oct/Nov 2011) *

Post by BluTuna »

Day 9 : November 6.

As always, Pafuri is the most beautiful part of the KNP, the wonderful riverine forest along the Livuvu River has an extra piece of magic over and above the rest of paradise.

The trees are alive with bird calls but only a couple presented themselves for pictures.

A Giant Kingfisher

and a White-Fronted Bee-Eater having a sand bath.

If you want to see nyala, this is the place to go.

There's plenty of other game, Impies, Warthogs, Buffs and a few Eles.

And around the next corner, who knows? You might get really lucky and see one of these...

Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Re: More Days in Paradise (TT Oct/Nov 2011)

Post by BluTuna »

Top Secret - Africa Wild Eyes Only.

Pafuri River Camp is just the other side of the KNP fence at Pafuri Gate. We really enjoyed our stay there in one of their tree houses which overlooks the Livuvu or one of its tributaries.

Although exremely rustic, the service was first class and the food was excellent and not expensive.

Our home for two nights

and the view from the balcony.

The bar area and swimming pool to the right

and the "restaurant".

Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

DAy 10 : November 7.

We decided to have a lie-in today. We were up at about 7:30, had a leisurely breakfast and headed for our next stop at Shingwedzi.

On the river loops in the afternoon, we saw a Grey Heron which had caught a fish and was harassed into dropping it by a Saddlebilled Stork which landed to grab his loot.

Constable Fish Eagle witnessed the event and swooped in to apprehend the villan

but the perp was too quick for him and made off with his prize

leaving a disgruntled looking Fish Eagle behind.

Also around and about were a good sized Crocodile

and a Water Thick-Knee.

At last, a Yellow Ribbon!!! We met up with DaveJenny and spent most of the evening chatting. It turned out that Dave & I had previously met at the South African Air Force 75th anniversary airshow at Waterkloof in 1995. Small world!
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 11 : November 8.

This morning we took the Redrocks road up to Tshange lookout and back. The area was very green and offered up more animals than we usually see on this road. There were some Buffs, an Ele and plenty of Impies.

A tree squirrel posed nicely for me.

Flying lessons - Ground Hornbill style...

1. Grab chick by the throat

2. Make sure you have a good hold and

3. Throw it from the tree, if you can

4. Get a reproachful look from chick

Usually, Emerald-Spotted Doves don't like to pose for pictures but this one did nicely.

At Tshange lookout, there was a Giant Plated Lizard and a Rainbow Skink.

In the afternoon, we visited the river loops again. and there was another tusker in the river bed near the low-level bridge,

and Grey Heron in a ballet pose.

The next sighting came as a total surprise. The last thing I expected to see were these beauties! Once I'd realised what I was seeing, stopped the car and got the camera into action, one of the four had moved into the bush.

A Natal Spurfowl shouting the odds.

A Green Pidgeon,

We discovered that Forumite "Cherries" and her SO were our next door neighbours so we introduced ourselves and chatted for a while before joining DaveJenny for a couple of drinks.
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 12 : November 9.

We left Shingwedzi for Satara as the sun came up and found some Baboons just outside the camp. I don't usually stop for these but they were posing so nicely and the light was great.

At Molopenyana a small herd of Buffs had come to drink.

From the N'wamazi Lookout, about 70 Eles were visible in the Olifants river. (someone else was kind enough to have counted them)

We stopped at Letaba for breakfast and I visited the museum go get a picture my Son asked for the last time we were in the KNP. Mandleve's tusks with SO for scale.

and at Ngotso North an Ele was getting some relief from the heat.

And near Ntomeni, three Lions were doing what Lions do best.

In the afternoon, we drive along the H7 for a while then turned around and came back via Girivana (S12/S40). There was very little to see but this Red-Crested Korhaan gave us the first part of his mating display but he didn't do the "bag of washing thrown in the air" trick.

Just before sunset I managed to get the Maribou Stork in golden light.

More YRs!! We found Forumite Chip & SO on the road and said HI!
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 13 : November 10.

We took a short morning drive along the S126 Sweni Road to Muzandzeni and then back along the S36 and H7. There were very few animals to be seen but I was able to get some portraits of Impies in nice light.

This one objected to having her picture taken.

We did catch a glimpse of an AWC running across the road but it was too fast for photos.

In the afternoon we took the S100 then north on the S41 and down the S90/H1-4 back to Satara.

This young Kudu was really enjoying munching on this bush

And the full moon rose as the sun set.

Near the camp we saw a lone Hyaena and a Lion but by that time there was no light to photograph them.

During the course of the day we saw a few of these magnificent beasts.

I was quite disappointed with the Satara area, nowhere near as much game as Lower Sabie or even Pafuri!
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 14 : November 11

We headed off to Lower Sabie for our last night in the Park :(

On the way, we stopped off at Orpen Dam and I finally managed to get some pictures that I've been attempting at home for months. The ones at home don't hold still for long enough but this one was practising hovering.

Later at Mlondozi, the dam was as overcrowded as the boma.

Also present was a Rough-Scaled Plated Lizard.

Just north of LS there was a traffic jam and everyone was looking at this tree...

There's a leopard in there somewhere :)

This afternoon we drove down the S28 then back to LS vis the Gomondwane loop.

Nice light on this Fish Eagle on the H4-2.

On the S28, a Steenbok was getting amorous with his lady friend

and a Zebra decided to be photogenic.

On the Gomondwane Loop we found a Hyaena den that wasn't there a week ago. Three adults ad 6 cubs were present.

Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 15 : November 12.

Our last morning :-(

We decided to take the Bume Road and visit Afsaal for breakfast which turned out to be a really bad idea as we saw almost nothing except a few Impies, a couple or Warthogs and half a dozen Buffs. There were a couple of other things we found...

An itchy Grey Heron at Sunset dam

I thought I'd include a picture of an Egyptian Goose - we saw them everywhere on the trip

and Flap-Necked Chameleon was in the road.

We met Michel367 on the road and at Afsaal we met up with Bert. Hi guys, pleased to meet you!

After an excellent and very reasonably priced brakfast we headed towards Malelane Gate to exit the park.

Along the way we had a complete surprise, brand new Impies

And with heavy hearts we set course for home.

THE END

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”