Daily Visits into Paradise *

Valandrich

Daily Visits into Paradise *

Post by Valandrich »

Daily visits to paradise!!

Well we are now here in Phalaborwa for 9 weeks, so we will be visiting paradise most days, and I will do a short trip report on each visit.
I can’t post myself because my internet signal is too weak to upload photos to Flickr, but a very kind forum friend has offered to post for me!!

Sep. 23rd 2011

We were so excited and couldn’t wait to be in our beloved park.
We got our permit, had a firearms and alcohol check at the gate, and then it was finally here!!
We decided to drive to the Letaba Bridge and back, and at the first waterhole we saw a very thirsty boy, he just about had his whole head in the trough at one point!!

On the way we met a cute little fella, who was crossing the road. I do love these prettily marked slow coaches!!

At Letaba camp we saw some beautiful Impala Lilies, they really are stunning I think.

At the bridge a little chap was trying out his wings ( I think it’s a juvenile bataleur, but someone will no doubt put me right if not!!)

On our way back to the gate we were so lucky to see these lions, they just strolled out of the bush, and then flopped in the road!!

More tomorrow.

Valandrich

Re: Daily Visits into Paradise

Post by Valandrich »

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Oct 11th

Today we decided to drive to Olifants, and saw about 50 elephants altogether........some single some in small groups.
We also saw loads of zebra, and buffalo. Other game seen included impala, steenbok, giraffe, hippo, crocs, warthog, waterbuck...........and my pic of the day is this cute little kudu, who was mucnching happily on the new grass shoots that have appeared after the rains.
Hope you like him!!

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Oct 12th

Today we drove up to the causeway on the H1-4, which is a favourite place of ours.

We often see there, huge herds of elephant, waterbuck, impala, giraffe, hippo, crocs, kudu, saddle-billed stork and a resident giant kingfisher, who dives off the side of the causeway never missing her catch of fish!! She takes it across to her hungry family who make such a noise in eager anticipation.

We sometimes take a picnic lunch and just marvel at this beautiful place called Kruger.

On the way home I was very brave!!

As some of you know I have a bit of a phobia with elephants at close quarters, but I managed to stay calm enough to get a photo of this chap, even though he was heading toward our car!!

More tomorrow........

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Oct 13th.

Today was chores day...........yes they HAVE to be done, so it was just a short drive to Paradise late afternoon!!
We saw loads of ellies, zebra, giraffe, kudu, hyena, impala and the dearest little klippie, who was on such a high rock.
However as we approached, he jumped down, and started munching the new succulent grass that is now growing after the rains (More of him another time!!)

This chappie was sunning himself near the H1-4 / H9 junction.
I believe it is an African Hawk Eagle, but no doubt I will be corrected if I'm wrong!!
Interestingly we saw an Ayres's Hawk Eagle further up the H1-4 a couple of weeks ago. (It was IDd for me by a reliable source!!)

Till tomorrow..............

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Oct 14th

Just thought that this would be amusing!!
We pass this tree every time we go into Paradise, and always think that it looks like a very tall thin Giraffe.
What do you think?!!!!

Till tomorrow................

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Oct 15th.

We set off for Letaba, as we had decided to go and have a Marula breakfast this morning!!
The journey there was mostly uneventful, other than we saw what I am hoping is a tusker (I will email Aat the photo!) and we also saw a red car nearly being trampled by a very angry ellie.

There was a large matriarchal group with the smallest baby that I have ever seen, and several larger babies.They couldn't decide which side of the road was best for tree destroying, and had several times crossed back and forth. We had stopped and had given them a wide berth, and were enjoying their antics, when Mr "I'm an idiot"" drove up and parked in the middle of them!!

Of course Mum was not pleased, but then out of nowhere, Dad appeared, ears flapping and trumpeting for all he was worth!!

He actually made contact with car, and it shot forward and the driver accelerated for all he was worth, and managed to clear the group!!

What an idiot!!

Eventually the ellies moved off and so we continued on to Letaba!!

On the way home, we saw my second Sharpies in 2 weeks, and a huge herd of buffs.

Then near the archeological site, we founf two huge lions sunning themselves near the roadside, and then just a bit further on, our dear little klippie friend from the other day was on his rock, but as soon as we drove up he bounded down and greeted us like long lost friends!!

I was going to post him as my pic of the day until...............just round the corner on a termite mound, was another beautiful leopard!!

He was so relaxed just lying in the shade with his back to us, and seemed to be dozing off, but then he turned towards us and I was able to get some decent photos, before he turned away again!!

We drove home for our sundowners, two very happy people!!!

More tomorrrow...................

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Oct 16th

We decided to drive to the causeway over the Letaba River on the H1- and take a picnic with us.

We saw a few ellies, zebra, warthog and impala on the way there, and finally arrived at the causeway..............as usual to be the only car in sight!!!

We sat surveying the scene, and just marvelled at the beauty and tranquility of this place.

There was our resident giant kingfisher, who was now teaching one of the youngsters to fish!! How amazing is that???
Sadly junior needs a lot more practice!!

There was a huge herd of elephant in the distance, and also a large herd of buffs a bit further on, all scrambling up the bank.

Suddenly a kudu bull walked past us crossing from one side of the causeway to the other...........he was magnificent, and his horns were
He then proceeded to munch on a small bush trhat had sprouted green leaves in the last few days.

(I will mention here that we are witnessing a daily change in the bush. It was very dry and burnt when we arrived, but in three weeks it is starting to change, with more green appearing each day.)

We then spotted a group of waterbuck on the other bank, and they were also contentedly munching away at the grass.

There were two hippos wallowing in the water, and a huge croc who had been lurking in the water, decided to get out and sun himself on the nearby sandbank.

Then a small group of impala arrived, and timidly approached the water's edge, for a welcome drink............... they are so beautiful and I could watch them all day!!

There was a white-fronted bee eater hopping from bush too bush (sadly too quick for a photo!!) but oh what a stunning bird that is!!

All this time we were enjoying our picnic........a "just right to eat" avo, cold chicken, coleslaw and potato salad, followed by fresh fruit salad.......yum, all washed down with ice cold water!!

Just as we were packing up to leave seven giraffe decided to join us. They didn't arrive together, but seemed to appear from different directions, and met in the middle of the dry part of the river bed!!

Then it was time to make the slow drive home, and on the way we saw more ellies, zebra, impala and kudu, as well as several yellow billed hornbills, fork tailed drongos, lilac breated rollers and a few small birds who were too quick to ID!!

We arrived home to the beautiful cottage that we are renting, and just thought "How fortunate are we!!"

Lis,there is an extra photo today, just for you!!!!

More tomorrow.........................

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”