Never say never....

Guinea Pig

Re: Never say never....

Post by Guinea Pig »

Well, of course, RP. =O:

I hoped the wording would be a bit more legible, but yes, it's legal according to the sign. It did cross my mind as I was photographing that, how much time you have to get back to your vehicle if a cat or such suddenly makes an appearance...

We always love having lunch at Mopani but I'm not sure we will stay there. Cees also told us that the accommodation wasn't really up to par when they stayed there last year some time. Not very clean and in need of repairs.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Most is not very clean and in need of repairs! -O-

But what can one do? -O-

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Guinea Pig

Post by Guinea Pig »

Day 3 saw us entering at Phalaborwa Gate and traveling back to Orpen but staying at Tamboti Tented Camp in budget tents. At the gate there were a couple of cars waiting already, which I did find a bit odd for it being in the middle of the week. Barely inside, there was a traffic jam. What it was, we don't know, it was already off the road. We assume leopard, could've been the cheetah that are around as well. Nobody bothered to tell us what it was, and in that situation, I simply leave. I refuse to become part of a traffic jam in the HOPE of seeing something in the veld. :lol: Because of this, we were at the right place at the right time on the S47 Mingerhout Loop later that morning. Something red flashed across the road. It was a "What the HELL was that moment??" Inched closer and on our right, looked right into the face of a Caracal... We were in shock, so much so that none of us managed to get a photo. It sat looking at the road for a few seconds and leapt off like only a cat does. One of the most magical sightings I've ever had in KNP. 18 years of waiting finally over.

Now for the rest. 8) This elephant was our first photographic model of the morning:

Black-chested Snake Eagle in flight:

At Olifants the rain caught up with us again. The idea was to have luch there as the restaurant was supposed to be open still - I printed the list of dates provided by Sanparks! - but they were closed. I know they reopened a day later but they were definitely closed a day earlier than planned when we were there. We moved on to Timbavati Picnic Spot for a skottelbrekkie. 8)

On the S44:

Last edited by Guinea Pig on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toko

Post by Toko »

O/\ O/\ O/\ catching up again here, GP O:V

And more great bird photos ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

You found a Temminck's Courser O\/ O\/ O\/ (and a Black-chested Snake Eagle)

Guinea Pig

Post by Guinea Pig »

0*\ ^0^ Thanks Toko! =O:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Caracal! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Great birdies too! O\/

Agree about those traffic jams! 0:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

wow superbe the Snake-Eagle... the eye just in the sun \O ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
of course the Temminck's Courser O/\ ^Q^

and the non-photo of the Caracal O/\ O\/ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

A caracal?!! ^Q^ ^Q^ That's our mission on our next trip!! ;-) Nice sighting of the courser! \O

Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

WOW! So lucky to have seen a caracal! Would give anything to find it...it is actually our mission on our next trip! ^0^ 0()

0() 0()

Guinea Pig

Post by Guinea Pig »

The caracal was pure luck. I simply happened to look its way as it pounced/jumped across the road. It was a movement totally unlike any animal I'd ever seen, especially for an animal of that coloring and size. That was enough to move closer VERY slowly. We were extremely lucky to have it sitting still for a few seconds. I did get whacked across the head with Duco's lens as he tried to get a photo in time. =O:

After finding Olifant's Restaurant closed we moved onto Timbavati. Sightings were near to impossible in the area because of very tall grass and we were in an Avanza...

Waterbuck bumshot:

Ostriches trying to impress a female:

The Timbavati Scops Owl:

It was great talking to Noel Ngwenya again. O/\ He's been at Timbavati for so long! We managed to arrive as people were leaving so had the place almost to ourselves. As we were leaving a tour group arrived.

Stopped at Bobbejaankrans to stretch legs and for the first time I can remember, actually saw baboons there. ^0^

Checked in at Orpen for Tamboti and were greeted by the only sign of lions we had on this trip:

Tamboti sunset:

After dinner our guest arrived. O/\ These monsters are WAY to clever. Duco actually slammed down the lid of the rubbish bin. It was certainly closed. This honeybadger simply got onto his back paws and nudged it open. 3 times in a row. He/she wasn't aggressive at all, although we did keep our distance.

When everybody had gone to sleep we walked around the camp with a LED flashlight and did manage to see nightjars sitting on the road. We heard 2 different kinds calling but which we saw? Your guess is as good as mine. ^0^ It was just fun walking around after dark.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”