A leisurely 13 day train trip behind steam to Kruger Park*

steamtrainfan

Re: A leisurely 13 day train trip behind steam to Kruger Par

Post by steamtrainfan »

16 AUGUST - PART 2 - ROUND AND ABOUT CROCODILE BRIDGE.

We had met Joe and Yvonne at Lower Sabie and after a bit of a chin wag and sightings discussion we were on the H4-2 to Crocodile Bridge. Lets leave the birds for now and focus (excuse the pun) on getting pics of some animals.

Our first sighting was this family of warthogs.

Next was a giraffe stepping over a car.

At last, our first sighting of golden cats. A bit far away though, but you know how it is with your first sighting of cats - click away.
Two lazy ladies in a chilled mood.

One then got up , walked across the river bed to the other bank, to do her toilet.

After the toilet time for some grooming.

After scanning the surrounding area for any males and seeing that the ladies were not intending to go anywhere we trundled on down to the hippo pool.

View down river from the pool view point.

The one and only rock painting left. I believe there used to be quite a few many years ago.

After a midday siesta we found this guy outside our hut.

Our afternoon drive found us doing the circular route H4-2, H5, S108 and S25 back to camp.

Not very much seen on this route, even a shortage of impala and bird life.

We found this lone giraffe.

On the S25 close to the hippo pool turnoff these two guys suddenly stepped out from behind some bushes on either side of the road as if it were a well co=ordinated road block. This brought us to a halt. There they stood, not showing any intention of moving off.

A car pulled up next to us, the driver smiled at us and he drove off slowly towards the elephant. He drove right up behind them very slowly so that he seemed to have come to a standstill. Then he was past them and gone. Joan and I looked at each other, should we or shouldn't we. We decided that we shouldn't. A short while later three cars pulled up and waited. After about 15 minutes all three headed for the elephants also at a very slow pace. Believing there is safety in numbers we joined the queue at the back. Right next to the first elephant the second guy decides to stop. Here we now stand with this humungus second ellie right next to our car. So close I could have put out my hand and stroked his trunk. Could have kicked myself for not taking a photo but I had other things on my mind. With my heart in my mouth and Joan as quiet as the proverbial mouse the queue started moving again and we were past.

Mental note to self - rather pay the late fine.

Just to quieten our jangled nerves we stopped and took a pic of a magpie shrike.

Next: We head for Lower Sabie for the next night.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I'm sure we saw those same two ellies on the Hippo Pools road...they both had very nice tusks. \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I wonder if Daniel still goes to the Hippo pools :-? We went there quite a few times in January, but never saw him -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:I'm sure we saw those same two ellies on the Hippo Pools road...they both had very nice tusks.
Could very well have been Flutterby as they seem to frequent that area.

We did see Daniel and had a nice chat with him.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

17 AUGUST - PART 1 - S28 TO NHLANGANZWANI DAM AND RETURN TO CROCODILE BRIDGE FOR BREAKFAST.

This morning we decided to do a before breakfast drive up the S28 to the above dam and return to have breakfast and pack to leave for Lower Sabie.

Saw a few buffalo on the first few kms of the S28.

Up near Macs waterhole we came across a bull and what looked like his two askaris. Joan only managed to get one of the askaris in the photo.

After watching them for a while we moved on up to the dam. Empty with nothing except a few impala to be seen.

On the return trip we saw the ellies again but this time we witnessed an interaction between two of them that we think must be quite rare or unusual. Not sure what they were doing , maybe just playing but it lasted for about 12 minutes. Very fascinating. We will let the pictures tell the story.

Then as suddenly as it started it stopped.

Having witnessed this incredible behaviour we watched them a while longer and then moved on.

NEXT IN PART 2 : Not 10 minutes later we were to witness yet another wonderful sighting between two birds and get it all on camera.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

steamtrainfan wrote:I wonder if the big bull is passing on information to the smaller bull or am I talking a load of bull.
You could be right. ;-)

Here's one of my pics:

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:Here's one of my pics:
Interesting - identical behaviour.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

17 AUGUST - PART 2/3 - S28 FROM NHLANGANZWANI DAM TO CROCODILE BRIDGE FOR BREAKFAST AND H4-2, h10 AND S29 MLONDOZI DAM.
Not 10 minutes past our ellie sighting we saw these two tawny eagles at the top of a tree.

The following pics need no commentary.

Arrived back at Crocodile Bridge just in time for a quick breakfast, pack and hit the H4-2 to Lower Sabie.

Along the H4-2 Joan got these pics.

Bataleur.

Could this be a steppe eagle - note the leg feathers.

White-backed vulture.

Ellies crossing the Sabie River.

Then meet up with some buffalo on the other side. The buffalo stood their ground so the ellies went around them.

At Mlondozi Dam we again bumped into Joe and Yvonne. Saw these hippo right out of the water and two waterbuck having a jousting session.

Hippo, ellie and waterbuck.

NEXT: S29 south back to Lower Sabie.

Toko

Post by Toko »

steamtrainfan wrote:17 AUGUST - PART 1 - S28 TO NHLANGANZWANI DAM AND RETURN TO CROCODILE BRIDGE FOR BREAKFAST.

After watching them for a while we moved on up to the dam. Empty with nothing except a few impala to be seen.

On the return trip we saw the ellies again but this time we witnessed an interaction between two of them that we think must be quite rare or unusual. Not sure what they were doing , maybe just playing but it lasted for about 12 minutes. Very fascinating. We will let the pictures tell the story.

Then as suddenly as it started it stopped.

Having witnessed this incredible behaviour we watched them a while longer and then moved on.

0/* STF

Great captured sequence of ellie behaviour. Have a look here Elephant Gestures Database
Test-Temporal-Gland

Reaching out with the trunk to smell another elephant's temporal glands. This display is most often observed following meeting of two individuals in association with greeting and is probably related to assessment and/or individual recognition. (100) However, it may also be observed within family groups as a form of Caressing.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

17 AUGUST Part 3/3 MLONDOZI DAM VIA 29 SOUTH TO LOWER SABIE AND AFTERNOON DRIVE H4-1 TO NWATIMHIRI CAUSEWAY AND RETURN TO LOWER SABIE.

Two hippo at Mlondozi Dam were having a bit of a disagreement. There was a lot of noise and splashing of water.

On the S29 this young Bataleur looked very sad indeed.

No more pics until we reached Sunset Dam.

Three-banded plover.

Not sure what this is but it was very pretty. Unfortunately not a very good photo.

Glossy starlings bathing in the bird bath near Lower Sabie reception.

A bum shot of a martial eagle.

A dork failed trongo - sorry - a fork tailed drongo. :o0ps: :o0ps:

A pair of fish eagle in Sabie River bed.

Back at Sunset Dam an Egyptian goose.

A lady waterbuck in the late afternoon sun.

Finally, our guests at our hut number 13.

Next: Lower Sabie to Tamboti. Little did we know what we were to experience during this trip. This trip will be in 3 parts of which part 2 will be 15 photos of what we saw.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”