Browns in Kruger July 2013 *

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger July 2013

Post by Bushcraft »

8th July Croc Bridge to Satara

I woke to a strange noise and then realized it was the Cow’s phone ringing. The rats squawked “We are on our way with the presents” and hung up. A few seconds later they were bashing on the door, which got the Cow and I moving. Then the Cow blurted out “its 4:45am” which is way too early for her, but too late as the rats were already in.

We finished the present and car packing mission just after 6am, so left for the long trek to Satara shortly thereafter. It was another overcast, windy miserable day, so I again was rather pelican with the conditions.

I had packed the torch away, so we again drove in the dark for half an hour before we could see enough to start looking for wildlife, however a hyena did run down the road in front of us for a few minutes, but we never got close enough for a pic.

The rest of the drive up towards Lower Sabie produced the normal locals, but a few km outside camp we stopped for the first set of pics as 2 lionesses were cooling off next to the river.

We stopped at Nkuhlu for half an hour to stretch the legs and for the Cow to have some coffee, which is always stressful for me as I hate wasting time, but today was the Cow’s day, so I just wobbled around and kept my mouth shut.

Just after Nkuhlu we found another 2 lions relaxing, but we didn’t hang around long as I had promised the Cow a birthday breakfast at Tshokwane.

The rest of the drive to Tshokwane didn’t produce much other than the odd buffalo, ellies and the normal gang.

We finally arrived at Tshokwane just before 11am, so it was already fairly busy, but I again shut my trap and stood in the long queue to order.

The Cow, Hawkeyes and I had chosen toasted chicken mayo, Bushpig and Albert toasted cheese, but when we got to the front of the queue I changed my choice to a bush breakfast, which as you will find out later was probably the best decision I have ever made on a Kruger trip.

After nearly an hour of walking around Tshokwane and looking at the sighting board 5 times, my patience collapsed “Stuff this where’s the chow, I’m going to drive off!!” which got the Cow cruising to the kitchen to see what the delay was and I went on another walk.

When I returned from the walk all were already eating and the Cow explained that after an initial few blank faces, she had found the chow in the kitchen, so she had brought it to the table, but it was already ice cold.

I swallowed my bush breakfast hole as I normally do, waited for the others to finish and stole the odd piece of chow left, but only had 1 taste of Hawkeyes’s toasted chicken and it didn’t taste too cool, so never stole another.

5 minutes later we were back in the car on the way to Satara and the Cow started “That chicken mayo tasted horrible” and Hawkeyes also moaned about it from the back, but we never thought about it again. (That’s until 3am and 4 continual days thereafter)

Our next sighting that we stopped to take pics of was a secretary bird a few km outside Tshokwane.

Mazithi Dam produced the normal locals and an ellie having a dop.

A few km after Mazithi Dam there’s a little dirt loop of around 15m off the road and we found 6 cars jammed into this space, 2 of which were completely off the road, so reversed a few meters up the tar to see what they were looking at and spotted plenty lion.

You could only really get close to them from the little loop, so we drove back down to the loop to wait for a gap, but my ever losing patience battle took over and after 15 minutes I started into the loop, which immediately set the Cow off “What are you doing, you are going to block others, etc, etc”, but the gasket had popped already and I drove past all, stopped next to the front car and said “I know that we are blocking you, but it’s sleeping lion and we will be gone in 10 seconds after a pic”

We had already taken 2 pics and were driving off before they even responded, but they were probably still in shock.

Kumana Dam produced the normal waterbuck gang, warties, impala, wildebeest, etc, so we spent a few minutes checking it out and then continued on to the little Baobab loop, which has produced leopard and cubs for us in the past.

I was super charged entering the loop as we still didn’t have a leopard so when the Cow started shouting “THERE, there!!” I also started “Take a pic, where!!”

The Cow squawked again “In the tree there!!”, but I still couldn’t see a leopard, “Where!!!”

“There’s a gymnogene over there!!”

My leopard had turned into a bird that was highly excited about something in a tree and was attacking the branch.

After a few minutes the gymnogene gave up and parked off on the branch.

More leopard hunting cars had arrived during this time and where also asking “where”, which caused the gymnogene to get nervous and fly off.

The next stop was for a steenbok very close to the road.

The last thing we stopped to take pics of before Satara was a lone ostrich wobbling around.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

8th July Croc Bridge to Satara continued

We eventually got into our unit just after 2pm and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t in the same condition as our April Satara unit.

It had been a long drive, so immediately a G&T was required for relaxation and the Cow took the rats on an excursion around camp to photograph the locals.

The weather had also improved the more north we had driven and now wasn’t too bad, so I was starting to enjoy things on the veranda, but at around 4pm Hawkeyes said that she wanted to drive some of the S100. I immediately protested as Nsemani Dam sounded good because it was close to camp.

I lost the vote, so it was off to drive a little of the S100.

The normal S100 locals popped up until about halfway down where we found plenty cars on the side of the road and 2 lionesses that we could see, although lions on the S100 could be considered locals also.

I hate driving the S100 too late when the gang is making their way back to camp as it’s just a massive dust storm, so we were about to turn when I spotted a ribbon coming towards us. It was Vinkie and Apex Predator.

They informed us that we had just missed lion cubs crossing the road 200m up and that they had seen a leopard at Nsemani Dam in the morning and that they were on their way there to check things out again, so we turned and also ducked for Nsemani Dam.

Nsemani produced only a few ellies having a bath, but it was almost dark, so I’m surprised Hawkeyes even got this pic, especially since I never stopped.

We stopped once on the way back to camp to snap a buffalo close to the road and I’m again surprised that the pic came out as my flash only goes about 5 meters.

We waited at the gate for Vinkie and AP to invite them around for a dop if they felt like company and then ducked off to start the fire.

Just after supper we were all relaxing on the veranda when an AWC decided to visit, but got a fright when I took a pic and bolted.

About half an hour later the Cow and Hawkeyes started complaining that their bodies were sore and that they didn’t feel so good, so I chased the rats to bed and the Cow took some tabs.

A few minutes later Vinkie and AP pulled in for a dop.

It’s always cool meeting people who love the bush and wildlife, so we chatted about all types of things including other parks until after 10pm and luckily Vinkie called it as I was starting to get in the mood for a few more dops.

We did however bump into each other a few more times over the next few days.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:I don't believe it...lions on the S100!! 0*\ You always see them and we never do!! :O^ Nice sighting of the AWC. \O
The lions are locals on the S100 Flutts :-? Things will fire for you guys in 3 weeks as it's the best time to be in the park \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

9th July Satara

I woke at around 3am with stomach cramps and felt rather out of it, but thought “I didn’t dop that much with Vinkie”, so couldn’t work out what the story was and chose to chow some tabs and go back to bed.

When the alarm went off the Cow and Hawkeyes also didn’t look that good and we all assumed “body flu”, not that I even know what that is, but it was the Cow’s diagnosis, so I went with it.

We eventually got in the car at around 6:30am.

The plan this morning was to shoot down to Nsemani Dam at first light and then do the S100, but due to the late start we decided to just head for the S100.

The first thing we noticed was that it was another misty morning, so pics were going to be a major challenge and we immediately got tested with lion at the H7/H1-3/S100 intersection.

The big male was cruising along the road, but he had a few aunties watching from the bush next to the road and another male was parking off to one side. Please excuse the pics as the mist was hectic.

We spent about 10 minutes with them and then it looked as if they were going to duck through the bush from the H1-3 to the H7 so we switched off 200m down the H7 and waited, but no lions, so we went back to the intersection and no lions. This continued for another 10 minutes and then we gave up.

I was now feeling that familiar issue and announced “who needs the loo”, Hawkeyes and The Cow both nodded, so it was back to Satara.

We eventually got on the S100 at around 7:30am and stopped for a pic of 1 of the locals and then a buff who refused to look at us.

The next few km produced a hyenas butt and a fish eagle warming up in the morning sun, which had made its first appearance in days.

The loo story started to become an issue again, so it was back to Satara again. I’m sure that the chap sitting at the gate thought that we were crazy.

We eventually got back on the road just before 10am and chose to drive a few km up the H1-4, but stay fairly close to camp.

A few km up the road we found the ostrich family that we had photographed in April and I was amazed at how large the juniors had grown.

A few km later things weren’t cool in the car, so it was u-turn time and we headed back to camp.

The Cow and Hawkeyes went to lie down and I took enough cement tablets to constipate an elephant.

Bushpig and Albert were bored so went to jol around outside and I took a few pics of the camp locals while watching them.

It was the Cow’s turn to cook supper and the plan was to cook it over lunch and just warm it up later, so she eventually wobbled into the kitchen and started cooking, but looked half dead and unfortunately I don’t even know what the inside of a kitchen looks like, so couldn’t help. Well that’s my story anyway and I when about planning the afternoon drive.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

PRWIN wrote:Great shot of the lion, was this taken in Jpeg or Raw ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ \O
Hey PRWIN 0/*

A point and shoot in Jpeg and taken by the Cow. I would love to take credit for it, but she reads here O-/ =O: \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Amoli wrote:Great Lion sighting... I feel like Flutts - very surprised that the S100 has any lion, in the beginning or the end.. -O -O

What a terrible feeling your family went through 0*\

I love the critters ... super H.eyes, BP and Albert.
There's plenty lion on the S100 Amoli :shock: :shock:

Seriously though, it has very bad and very good days, so luck is still required \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Bushveld Jock wrote:Great pictures and sightings of lions. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ For me the S100 is a lovely drive, but so far had zero luck with lions except a far off sighting of cheetahs across the river. Looks like you are attracting those cats. ;-) Love the early morning pic of the male lion in the mist. \O

Hope the family did not feel the effect of the chick mayo for too long and got well soon. :-(
Thanks BJ \O

I love the S100, but only in the early morning though, as it can be a dust storm in the evenings with the gang :-?

That mayo caused chaos for a few days 0*\

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

9th July Satara continued

We had to plan the afternoon drive carefully because of the stomach cramp issue, so I suggested that we duck up the H1-4 and then down the S127 to Timbavati picnic site, which isn’t a long drive and close enough to make it either way if the loo was required and all agreed.

We stopped once or twice on the way to the picnic spot to check out buffalo, ostrich and a lone ellie, but didn’t take pics.

Timbavati provided a welcome loo for others, although I was now feeling ok, but wondered if I would ever go to the loo again after the overdose of cement tablets.

The Cow eventually made it out the loo and was stopped halfway back to the car by the picnic site attendant (For the life of me, I can’t remember his name) and he said “Have you seen the lion in the riverbed down the road just past the S127 turnoff”, which we hadn’t, so thanked him and ducked off that direction

As we came around the corner a few hundred meters from the S127 turnoff 2 lionesses were cruising across the road, so the stomach issues took a back seat and the cameras went flying.

As we stopped I noticed more in the grass and howled “Cubs!!”

A few seconds later Bushpig shrieked “There’s more crossing the road” which set me off on a flat spin as I didn’t know what to take pictures of.

As I turned back to the cubs a male that we hadn’t even noticed yet stood up, which caused me to flap even more with the camera. Then a greeting procession started.

A few seconds later Bushpig shrieked again “There’s another male crossing the road”, which had me in a massive camera spin, but eventually got a pic of him as he paused behind a bush to mark his patch.

The patch marking dude decided to collapse in the grass, which caused all the juniors to duck that direction, but all we could see was their ears above the grass and I counted 6 cubs, so I started the car and we slowly cruised down to him.

The darn road dips just in the spot where he was, so we couldn’t get a clear view of the juniors, but could see them through the grass jumping all over him, therefore I slowly reversed until we had the best view and managed to get a few pics of one of the juniors while dad or uncle rolled around on his back.

4 lionesses decided to move off into the bush and the juniors all ran after them.

I turned to see what was happening with the other male and spotted him hanging his teeth for one of the aunties, so started the car again and frantically reversed back towards them, but arrived too late to capture anything other than him testing.

The main dude then took off after his aunty into the bush and the others followed, so we cruised back to the unlucky male who eventually got up, gave us the hairy eyeball and moved off after the rest.

I was stoked as it was an adrenalin charged sighting, but when I looked at the Cow and Hawkeyes I could see that they were stuffed so we ducked back to camp without stopping for anything further.

The Cow and Hawkeyes collapsed when we got to our unit; Bushpig and Albert were playing some strange game in the lounge, so I was left alone outside with my G&T.

At around 7pm a lion started roaring on one side of the camp and a few seconds later another on the other side of camp. This roaring got more intense and it sounded like they were along the fence, so I made the announcement that I was going on a cruise to see what was happening. Bushpig immediately said that she was coming with, but Albert said “No way!!”

Bushpig and I walked about 10 meters and I heard a noise in the bush, so shone the torch in that direction and found 2 honey badgers. Bushpig immediately got a fright and started to climb up my leg and when the 1 badger started with his noise she wailed “I want to go home”, which I ignored as there was a photo opportunity and I managed to capture the 1 brave badger, but the other took off.

The lions were still going crazy and Bushpig was still wailing, so I took her home and made tracks for the fence line next to Stanley as that’s where the main roaring was happening.

As I got to the Stanley area I noticed that a large number of people had the same idea and there was a gang already there with high powered torches.

The one chap had a machine light and as he switched it on we spotted 2 large male lions and a few females walking past Stanley but heading towards the camping section where the other roaring was happening. These were the same guys that we had seen in the morning at the H7/S100/H1-3 intersection.

The lion fever seemed to hit everyone at once and I found myself charging through bushes and camp sites along with everyone else.

I arrived huffing and puffing to see that some were faster and they already had their torches aimed at 4 large males who were heading towards the other group. A few scallywags that hang around the camping section were also charging around and cackling their heads off.

Suddenly the 4 males charged the other group who had come around the corner and a full on scrap started.

It was over as quickly as it started, the lionesses had run off along with the 1 male, the other male looked badly hurt and the 4 males stood their ground roaring. My adrenalin was pumping as it had been an amazing thing to watch.

I parked off watching the 4 males for 10 minutes, along with what seemed to be most of the camp and then charged off home with my teeth hanging out to tell all the news.

The roaring continued all night, so I don’t know if anyone in the camping section got any sleep.

(I’m not sure who checks out “latestsightings, OD’s site, but the entire story was posted there the next day by a few people from the camping section)

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

pooky wrote:Wow what an awesome day - even with having to stay close to the loo \O

There were lions and cubs around Timbavati in March when we were there. \O
Super sighting.

Great honey badger pic ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ at least you didn't have to chase after it in the rain this time =O: =O:

Wow the lion fight must have been something else - pity you couldn't get pics.

Great day ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Hey pooky 0/*

That darn loo story only get worse O/

Yip, I think it’s the same lions with cubs that we found in April in that area \O

No chasing the badger this time =O: =O:

That lion scrap was awesome, but around 50m from the camping section fence line, so impossible to get pics O/

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

steamtrainfan wrote:Wowee - The Browns certainly get to see all the action. Fantastic sightings and the pics are sheer magic. ^Q^ ^Q^

Very frustrating when there is something jaw dropping happening near the fence and you can't get any photos. O/ O/ O/
Hearing and seeing the lion battle must have been stupendous.

So sorry to hear that Cow and Hawkeyes are still not well. :-( :-(

You are so right that when you have a sighting like you had of the lions one does not know in which direction to point the camera and the adrenalin is flowing so fast it is difficult to keep the camera steady.
Things felt a little flat this trip STF, but improved during the last few days. Maybe it’s this leopard obsession that I have and I stress until we have a decent sighting of one. Unfortunately the food poisoning gets worse. Hawkeyes and the Cow both lost 3kgs on this trip

Those adrenalin charged sightings are the ones that I live for, which is a little strange I suppose as the search for it can take over a trip and actually ruin the trip. I have tried to force myself to slow down, breathe in the air and appreciate just being in Kruger, but haven’t mastered it yet. 0*\

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”