A Short, unexpected KNP visit

BluTuna

Re: A Short, unexpected KNP visit

Post by BluTuna »

Flutterby wrote:Love the kudu and landscape pics! \O Interesting pics of the bugs. ;-)
Thanks Flutts \O the bugs have added a whole new dimension to our park visits - a bit like birding did when we first started.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Richprins wrote:Unique pics!

Doing some research...never seen those cockroaches, but name seems fine? -O-

Regarding the raptor...looks like a photoshopped pigeon, but rare I think! Some sort of harrier! :-?
Complements from RP :shock: what is the world coming to? Much appreciated of course 0/0

I thought the raptor looked a bit unusual too. Still no ID from anyone. I suppose I'd better put it on the bird ID thread if someone can help me to find it.

Richprins wrote:BT...you spend too much time watching TV! =O:
I probably do but I'm quite discerning.
Last edited by BluTuna on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
leachy

Post by leachy »

:-) :-) :-) :-)

just caught up here blutuna...

stunning photography indeed.

love the bathing 'boons and the gregarious 'roaches

\O \O \O \O \O \O

the future is not what it used to be
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Thanks BC, Pumbaa and Hawkeyes & Leachy, your comments are much appreciated \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Monday March 4th. Morning Drive.

Our last drive and we decided to try to get away from the dense bush and head down to Crocodile Bridge for breakfast. This turned out to be a really great decision.

It was overcast at first and when the sun broke through it was reminiscent of the special effects used in Close Encounters. For a moment I thought that RP had actually managed to phone home and his alien friends were coming to take him away.
Image 1/4000 @ f/8, ISO 1600

Somewhere near Skukuza an Impie lamb was getting her breakfast.
Image 1/320 @ f/8, ISO 1600

On the high-level bridge over the Sabie, a lady Giant kingfisher let me get really close.
Image 1/200 @ f/8, ISO 400
Image 1/125 @ f/8, ISO 400

Between Nkuhlu and Lower Sabie a usually dry area had become a large pond and a small group of Whistling Ducks were in residence.
Image 1/250 @ f/8, ISO 400

The Lubyelubye Leopard was not in evidence but a Natal Spurfowl was keeping a lookout for him.
Image 1/200 @ f/8, ISO 400

We took quick loo & view stop at Lower Sabie and I saw one of the most horrible things I've ever seen in the Park - Indian Minahs.

Eventually we were on to the S28 where we saw plenty of game in the distance but the grass was so long that it hid the smaller animals.

What TT is complete without some pictures of Rollers?
Image 1/2000 @ f/8, ISO 400
Image 1/2000 @ f/8, ISO 400

And then we were at Crocodile Bridge where I pulled out my new Tamron 90mm macro lens and looked for some subject matter.

A tree Agama without the blue head - female or non-breeding male.
Image 1/320 @ f/9, ISO 400
Image 1/250 @ f/9, ISO 400

An Orange & Lemon Butterfly that looked to be on its last legs.
Image 1/400 @ f/9, ISO 400

An African Leopard Butterfly.

A Damselfly which is different to the ones I get in my garden.
Image 1/125 @ f/9, ISO 400

And lastly, a juvenile Fork-Tailed Drongo.
Image 1/1000 @ f/9, ISO 400. Some serious contrast adjustment on this one otherwise it was a silhouette.

After a very good breakfast we drove out of the gate, across the Crocodile River and set course for Johannesburg.

Somewhere on the morning drive, we also managed to spot this chap at an undisclosed location.
Image 1/640 @ f/9, ISO 400
Image 1/500 @ f/9, ISO 400

OH, yes, I did say that having breakfast at Crocodile Bridge was a great idea.

The drive this morning turned up an extra special sighting. It was only the second one of these that we've ever seen in the Kruger and the other sighting was a loooooong time ago.

Even more grandiose than a Speke's (Bell's) Hinge-Backed Tortoise, it's our second sighting of this incredibly shy and seldom seen animal.

(Cue the Butt-Trumpets again)

To Be Continued......

(Note to RP : I've purposely chosen NOT to post the picture of the sighting here. It will be posted in the next episode. This is done to heighten the reader's sense of anticipation and to get more angry emoticons posted on this thread).
Last edited by BluTuna on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toko

Post by Toko »

BluTuna wrote: I thought the raptor looked a bit unusual too. Still no ID from anyone. I suppose I'd better put it on the bird ID thread if someone can help me to find it.

:O^ Have a look here: where RP asked for ID and got it

And the RP forced me to add it to the AW Bird Book -O

Toko

Post by Toko »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Stunning close-up of the agama ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ such an elegant dragon! O:V

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Cue lots of angry smileys!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: O/ O/ O/ O/ O/ O/ 0= 0= 0= 0= 0= 0= 0= :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: (0) (0) (0) (0)

But love all the insects and other small thingies!! \O \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Toko wrote:
BluTuna wrote: I thought the raptor looked a bit unusual too. Still no ID from anyone. I suppose I'd better put it on the bird ID thread if someone can help me to find it.

:O^ Have a look here: where RP asked for ID and got it

And the RP forced me to add it to the AW Bird Book -O
Thanks Toko, with a thread name like that, it's not surprising I couldn't find it O/

So it was a Honey Buzzard in moult! Don't think we've ever seen one of those before O\/ O\/ O/\

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Toko wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Stunning close-up of the agama ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ such an elegant dragon! O:V
Thanks again. He didn't run around the tree too much and let me get nice and close :-)

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”