Aat&Elly Nov / Dec Trip 2013 (Last update 8 April)*

aat

Aat&Elly TR Story 11: The Other Side of....

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip from november 11th 2012 till december 9th 2012.

Story 11 – The Other Side of… -

Hello and great to see you again.

Watching television and reading newspapers does not really makes us happy today.
Lot’s of bad news about anything what humans should not. Looks like we do not learn anything from the past. Just referring to all the killings of animals and destryoing of the forest worldwide. I even don’t want to open the latest reports of rhino poaching anymore because it makes me sic and angry…..
Not a nice and warm introduction but it is an expression of a feeling …..

So what is the remedy for now ? Going through my pictures of last trip to find something nice, warm and positive for myself and you.

Then suddenly I found something that makes me smile and saying ohhhhh… how cute and lovely

It’s a story of the other side of Hyena’s , mainly seen as: fast walking away, dirty, aggressive but not seen that many times as friendly and caring… with small puppies so close to you

It happended when we left Shingwedzi towards Mopani. Driving the main road and about halfway I saw something on the left side of the road… just about 10 meters away.
Preparing the pictures my mood changed and gave me a warm and nice feeling… hope it does work for you too….

Think I can say that it is about The Other Side of Hyena’s …

Let’s meet the family… some adults, a younster and yesss 2 pups.

-
-

Mother laying down with one of her pups

-
-

If you see this at short distance you’re quiet and something like ohhhhh is the sound you make.

-
-

The youngster was not really that happy, expressing a jealous look… “mommy does not want me around anymore and the two puppies getting all attention grrrrrrr”

-
-

There is puppy 2 coming into the scene together with another adult checking if everything is allright.

-
-

With some whispering the pup looked at me with these black eyes to find out “what is whispering to me ?”

-
-

Again the youngster expressed clearly how he was thinking about his little brother… look at his eyes…

-
-

Hahahahaha….and what did the pup do….. yes… standing with his feet on his older brother…right thing to do….

-
-

Puppy back to mommy….

-
-

And if one puppy is doing that…it does not take long for the other one to join

-
-

Just that moment two others were almost starting a fight so Big Mommy had to intervene

-
-

All quiet again and time to be mother again…caring for your babies

-
-

And babies are hungry …all the time so why not find a nipple to suck…

-
-

Without words…. Her expression does say enough

-
-

Puppies…. Drink and have a good life ….byeeeeeee

-
-

End of this story

With a smile on my face I like to say : Happy Pentecost, Beaux Pentecôte, Feine Pfingsten en Fyn Pinkster

Next story….? BC Story about a very very special Mother along the S100

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com
Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Aat&Elly BC Diary story 12: Best Mother of KNP

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip from november 11th 2012 till december 9th 2012.

Story 12 – BC Diary – Best Mother of KNP -

Welcome to this story. About one of the most special sightings we ever had

We were staying in Satara camp for several days and like I said in one of the previous stories it’s a gamble every time what route to take.
Early morning, 4:30 and waiting for opening of the gate. Very weird to see just 1 more car that time since we are used to a line up almost every morning.

Where to go ? Olifants…? Orpen..? Tshokwane ..? H6 …? Still not sure I turned right and at the very last moment I decided to go to the S100 …why…? I don’t know…. Maybe sixth sense again.
Well, not talking too much…but join us with this great and special sighting.
It’s going to be a longer story but I don’t want you to miss too much… so have a seat… seatbelts on….. wine , beer and popcorn ready…. Let’s Gooooooooooooo

Driving the S100, still a bit dark and about halfway a big smile on our faces… yesssssssss…. Cheetah !!
Still not too much daylight so ISO value high to capture these beauties.

First we saw was this youngster….
-
-

Just captured this one and Elly said “another 2” ….
-
-

The two went off the road and pffffffff joining two more so now 4 in total
(not the best picture but it’s the sighting as it is)

-
-

Just awake and 4 cheetah in front of your eyes is special but …… surprise was not over yet….there is nr 5 on the road

-
-

-
-

again, not best quality of picture, but this scene was too sweet to keep it away.

-
-

Where did the youngsters going to…. ? Idd… to their mother

-
-

Family complete….. our eyes of unbelieve… saying things like “ohhhhhhh” and “pfffffffffffff” , “huhhhhhhhhhhh” well, you understand

-
-

Mother Cheetha and 5 cubs !! 6 Cheetah together and knowing there about 200 in KNP this was a real wonder. Elly and I looking into each others eyes saying..”what a trip”.

-
-

It still was quiet, just one more car at that moment and some arriving
Enjoy the family together

-
-

Ohhh I was so happy I could capture all 6 together because the younsters did not really sit down longer then a few seconds …busy all the time… not really relaxed and looking to all directions

-
-

Lovely faces

-
-

Mommy….did you hear that sound ? Where..?

-
-

Next few pictures shows relaxing…laying down…looking around…being allert…

-
-

-
-

and

-
-

It felt like being in the middle of a real BC Diary movie…

-
-

-
-

In the mean time it was getting better with the light… sun was rising, 5:00 now so almost half an hour with them…
And here we see a very very special Mother
Raising 5 cubs in the S100 area is tough… so many lions around , hyena’s and some leopards.
Herds of buffalo and elephants around….
As you can see the cubs are almost ready for going to live their own lifes.

What a mother she is !!

-
-

Now with nice light os the rising sun quality will improve for making photos

In the mean time there were about 20 cars in the area but we were happy to have a nice position and the Cheetah younsters honoured us with a personal visit

-
-

This was the moment we recognized another forumite…. OWN (onewithnature) in one of the other cars…
OWN – This is specially for you since you had problems with you camera…

This cheetah was paying some special attention to me… curious about the camara pointing to her

-
-

so close…. just about 5 meters from my window

-
-

and why not sitting down for a nice photo…. Thanks my friend

-
-

just wondering why they just went to our car spoiling us with nice posing

-
-

With a bit of rising sun light…. How cute and beautiful they are

-
-

If it was not good enough these two were acting as professional models…smileeeee

-
-

We really felt almost guilty since they were spending so much time around us and seeing others cars to get into better position… it was getting busy on the S100…

Thanks for posing cuty…

-
-

Funny, the cubs were coming along one by one to say hello or goodbye
Here another sweety

-
-

And what younsters do normally…is playing… running after each other…they made a nice show…
Too difficult to make pics since they were moving to fast…jumping and tackling each other…
A bit tired and ready for some last pics

-
-

and
-
-

and
-
-

With this picture I like to end this story…bye cheetah… have a good life in Kruger and see you next time

-
-

To express again how special and experienced the Cheetah Mother must be…. Following the S100 , after about 5K we found a large pride of lions… 7 visible on picture, many more around in background …. Big pride again..?

-
-

These situations must have happened many times while raising the cubs

That’s why I call her Best Mother of KNP

End of this story

I hope you enjoyed your drive with me today… and see you next time with ..?

Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Aat&Elly BC Diary Story 13:A Real Lion Love Story

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 13 – BC Diary – A Real Love Story -

Hi all,

What story to tell after the Cheetah mother ?

Today it’s father’s day in the netherlands and many other countries. So I found a story about love between father and mother, a story also, about expressions and a story where the pictures tell the story so you don’t need much to read… just watch.
Just one remark to many fathers…. Don’t copy all what you see….

Starting the engine and let’s go right from Satara towards Tshokwane.
Coming close to Tshokwane we saw something on the road… normally Hyena’s or Lion.

Yess Lion and just us…. So taking a good position and watch…
A nice couple just in front of us, just waking up with a lovely sunrise…

We heard something like “good morning my love”
-
-

Mmmmm I like your parfume…

-
-

Good morning too my man … I need a few seconds to open my eyes…

-
-

No problem… by the way… it’s father’s day today

-
-

Let me get up and stretch for a moment….

-
-

Pffff father’s day “I know what that means” and trying to walk away…

-
-

“Ohhh he is coming after me, well…it’s a nice day”

-
-

“Mhhh she did not make any breakfast for me so let’s do something else …”

-
-

No much comments needed so have a look at the expressions, specially father’s looks…

-
-

and

-
-

Fathers… this is what you should not do at home… I guess

-
-

Not good for skin ….
-
-

and hairdo….

-
-

No comments on this one

-
-

and this….. well, it did not sound like “roarrrr”

-
-

but…lovely expression

-
-

After ehhhhh …. A good daddy looks around if all is safe….

-
-

What a lovely morning …..

-
-

It’s safe around so a little more sleep…. It’s father’s day isn’t it….

-
-

“thanks for watching Lion father’s day” byeeeeeee

-
-

End of this story

Have a great day if you celebate father’s day….

Next… I don’t known yet, but will find something …….

Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Aat&Elly Story 15: Wings over Kruger

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 15 – Wings over Kruger -

Hellooooooooooooo mites,

I was thinking about next story and going through my pictures the idea was born.
No cats (probably next time) but wings…… with other words… Birds

After many trips I am still a “nono” with birds. I always stop when I see birds sitting on a branch, I like the raptors and the very small ones. But I am not a birder, no stiffneck.

Before I start the story I like to tell you that I updated the Tusker Documents. They are available to download from my Tusker site
(top right side of the main page)
http://www.tuskersofafrica.com

So this story is about birds and I selected next series of photo’s for you. Hope you like it

As introduction to all the birds in this story, this is your guide “Blacky” the Snake Eagle

-
-

Blacky flies from tree to tree and shows you a number of birds… if he knows the name he will mention it…no name then Blacky does not know and asks you to help….

Not far from Blacky’s position another beautiful Eagle showed himself, the Bateleur Eagle

-
-

Flying over one of the rivers this Saddle-billed Stork was waiting for a meal

-
-

Unknown to Blacky…. But worth to share. Almost looks like a bird-painting

-
-

Maybe you recognize… you see a bird , like to capture it and gone, or moving or just flies away. This time lucky with this Giant Kingfisher

-
-

and

-
-

On the list of Sanparks as one of the endangered birds…the Secretary Bird. Saw him a few times and this was the first encounter. “Thanks Blacky” for your help to find him.

-
-

There are several storks in kruger. “Blacky” found this small group of Woolly-necked Storks close to Tshokwane.

-
-

Blacky is flying towards Satara area and found another group of storks, the Yellow-billed Stork

-
-

Allthough vultures are not Blacky’s favorites he likes to show you the Whiteheaded one

-
-

Blacky forgot the name of this raptor, but worth to show him in this series

-
-

And then…. Blacky was a bit afraid of another raptor, the Martial Eagle…
This is a small story within this story about birds. Saw this one late afternoon along the famous S100. Martial Eagle with a kill. Noticed him first in a tree

-
-

Then it was going fast, too fast for me… Martial Eagle left the tree and killed a (I think) duck

-
-

That’s another kill along this S100 then the expected kills by lions

-
-

and

-
-

He was “cleaning” the kill before dinner

-
-

Impressive bird, this Martial Eagle, just at a distance of about 50 meters.

-
-

Blacky is flying again and takes us to one of the many small rivers. Just before landing he noticed this African Spoonbill

-
-

While flying towards the more northern sections of kruger Blacky met his brother “Browny”

-
-

And in one of the many many trees this nice raptor

-
-

Coming closer to the Letaba river this African Fish Eagle, a cute one

-
-

On the bridge this Pied Kingfisher was stealing the show

-
-

Flying towards Mopani this eagle (name?) was posing and asking to be posted here

-
-

Bateleur Eagles are mainly photographed when they are in a tree, this one was on the ground near Tihongonyeni near Mopani

-
-

Flying over kruger Blacky has seen a lot of these Ground Hornbills but posing nicely without moving too fast and without hiding in the high grass… this time more lucky

-
-

Another Bateleur Eagle

-
-

If you fly around you see many birds, this time also many Saddle-billed Storks but this one was posing at just about 10 meters so a portrait was possible. This way you can see the details of colours very well

-
-

This Eagle (?) is the beautiful sunset light

-
-

Blacky just arrived in the northern section of kruger and was about taking a nap near Pafuri picknick place along the river where this Kingfisher was looking out for a catch.

-
-

Talking about Kingfishers. Another one “Woodland Kingfisher” appeared in the bush in same area

-
-

A young Martial Eagle was not far away , waiting for the spots on his body

-
-

Allthough Blacky could not really focus well on this small group of Bee-eaters because of the distance they are worth to be shown, covering the differences between large raptors and small bee-eaters.

-
-

Flying back towards Mopani, Blacky was saying hello to this Bateleur Eagle and another Eagle (?)

-
-

and

-
-

Almost action with this Giant Heron

-
-

And finally…. Coming to the end of this story one of my favorite birds. I must say I have seen them several times this trip but almost never posing this way. Most sightings were from bigger distance or I was no table to capture him well because they walk / run most of the time. A bit of whispering helped me out again …smileeeeeeee

-
-

End of this story and I really hope you liked this too. If not and more interested in Cats…then welcome next time with a special one about forming a coalition of Lions

Regards
Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toko

Re: Aat&Elly Story 15: Wings over Kruger

Post by Toko »

0/* Aat

Great bird captures O:V O:V O:V with some impressive eagle shots and the Martial with kill is O:V O:V O:V

African Hawk-eagle

Black-chested Snake-eagle

Tawny Eagles

aat

Post by aat »

Toko wrote: 0/* Aat

Great bird captures O:V O:V O:V with some impressive eagle shots and the Martial with kill is O:V O:V O:V

Thanks a lot Toko. Learning ID'ing the birds this way \O \O

aat

Aat&Elly Story 16: BC Diary -Forming a Coalition-

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 16: BC Diary -Forming a Coalition-

Welcome to the Big Cat Diary stories,

Time again to focus on the Big Cats. Your “reporters” are inviting to you to be witness of the forming of a Lion Coalition.

But……. The ones who know me a bit will not be surprised that I want to inform you about the updated Tusker documents. Available on my Tuskers of Africa site. Link given at the end of this story.
And next to this I like to ask you to post possible (big) tusker sightings on the Mammals >> Big Tusker thread and / or let me know you have seen (big) tuskers to keep the tusker site updated. Thanks !!

Getting back to the subject of this story. Another morning in Satara, ready to go for a early morning trip and like all other times, decision made where to go just by 6th sense. This time following the main road towards Tshokwane.

Introducing Big Dad and one of his ladies

-
-

Maybe you recognize this picture from a previous story about –Love- on fathers day.
This was the beginning of a wonderful story, well that was our opinion.

-
-

and love making results in sleeping….dreaming….snoozing….

-
-

and

-
-

Here the other story really begins…
Un-aware of what was going to happen Big Dad was still snoozing

-
-

Getting up and next to his lady they were just about walking away into the field.

-
-

One of his other girls was just coming to the road. She looks a bit irritated or jealous ?

-
-

While this other girl was just going off the road , knowing she was not welcome at that moment to chill with Big Dad.

-
-

Then…….. and it went very fast.
The love couple including the other girls start running away into the field. Why…?
Well, coming from Tshokwane another pride or group of Lions were running towards the others ones… roaring …

-
-

The first 4 lions, young males were running fast following / chasing Big Dad and his ladies.
But members of the other pride were still coming…. Here another 6

-
-

Pfffffffffttttttt… Elly and I almost could not follow what was going on… looking back we saw Big Dad and his ladies running away… quit far already…. We saw about 4 chasing them and in front of us more and more lions coming down from Tshokwane…
I show and share it exactly as we saw the whole thing. These were following the chase with their eyes and stayed on the road… I said “thank you” to them.

-
-

Added this photo because it shows how curious these lions were following their “family” chasing the other lions.

-
-

Less then 10 meters away… young male lion roaring… just in front of us. How great can it be in kruger….smileeeeeeeeee

-
-

All looking at what happens in the field ….hundreds of meters away in the mean time

-
-

Looking….smelling…roaring….all in one picture… lions can be soooo nice.

-
-

Now the ones on the road were calming down so let’s have a look at some members of the pride.
Have to add here that the sunrise (backlight) did not make it that easy but will show you some to get familiar with this pride…

-
-

Two of them walking towards me… with very friendly looks

-
-

More friendly and posing well. He came towards me…looked at me and decided to lay down

-
-

I was looking at some of the lions on the road and they made it easy for me to make some portraits …. I loved the expressions on their faces.

-
-

and this one…

-
-

and this cute looking guy….

-
-

And finally this beauty…. His eyes…the golden sunlight…what else do you wish on an early morning in kruger.
Spending a bit more time with them before they decided to follow the one who were chasing Big Dad…..

So far breathtaking for us… getting hungry so moving on to Tshokwane for having some breakfast… and still 6 o’clock in the morning so glad we had our breakfast with us…

To all of you…. It’s time for a break before Part II begins…see you back after the break

Part II…
We spent lovely days in kruger…going north Shingwedzi…Mopani and after 13 days we were back in Satara. Early morning again…. Decision that day… main road to Tshokwane, coming to the junction

-
-

And what did we see near this junction…?????????
Yessssssssssssss Big Dad and ….. his ladies and….. yesss… the chasing pride , now all together… a new coalition. We looked at each other and saying something like huhhhhhhhhhh …. Nooo…yessss…. It’s them

Big Dad with all the others…. With a look like “business as usual” and winking to me like saying…. “that chasing group did not have a chance”

-
-

As you can see Big Dad is still in love with his lady… 13 days later and seeing them again… weird but fantastic

-
-

Overview on this new pride… We counted about 17 lions in total.. on and near the road

-
-

All flat…. Well… 5:30 in the morning… we were having some milk and a sandwich… early breakfast with the lions… kruger is not that bad….smileeeeeeeeeee

-
-

If you have to…. Yes, NEAR the road

-
-

Sleeping and socializing…

-
-

Mhhhhhhhh….that feels good

-
-

Isn’t it great to have a Lion roadblock in front of you….

-
-

Big Dad is checking his new formed pride….

-
-

And checking his lady if she is still…..ehhhh

-
-

Some ladies together and some gossip… ohhh, is Big Dad that good… ohh tell us…

-
-

another look into the pride… cats are cats…

-
-

Thanks Big Dad… it was wonderful and impressing to meet you twice and to meet the whole pride, the new pride.

-
-

Thanks all for joining Elly and me with this special story about a new coalition or whatever you call it…. Big Dad making love…. On the run with his ladies …. Probably a fight about who is the strongest and then …. 13 days later back on the road to show us his new big pride…. A Big Dad to be proud of. Kruger can be generous !

End of this story and I really hope you liked it.
Next…? Maybe another Big Cat Diary story….

Regards
Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Post by aat »

RP,
I do ...nothing wrong with sleeping, dreaming and snoozing a Lot.... that means.... well you can guess -O -O

Big Dad was together with 3 lionesses , all together on and along the road. He started to run with the 3 ladies when the other group was about to arrive... 4 young males went after them , the others were "following" them by looking from the road. later on they also went same direction till we could not see them anymore. 13 days later they were all together , maybe word coalition is not right but I am not a specialis or scientist with lions... just a dutchman in kruger and enyoing wildlife.... and, it's just a travel tale.... :-) :-)
For teachers many thing are confusing and I have a lot of understanding for that ... ^0^ ^0^
Richprins wrote:and love making results in sleeping….dreaming….snoozing….

Speak for yourself, aat! =O:

Great pics! X#X X#X X#X

It's a confusing story..."coalitions" are normally groups of brothers kicked out of the pride when they approach adulthood, by the alpha male/s.

The initial attack could have been aimed at the lionesses, with "Big Daddy" following them when they ran away? Mating males are extremely single-minded, and the initial females could have been strangers from another group, an unexpected "bonus' for him? -O-

Who knows! -O

aat

Aat&Elly Story 17: -Spotting Spots-

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip.

Story 17: BC Diary - Spotting Spots -

Welcome back to the Big Cat Diary stories,

After all the Lions it’s time again for your “reporter” to focus on the Spotted ones.
Like in the real Big Cats Diary series I will take you to some different locations following some of the Spotted Cats.

But before we start: It has been a bit quiet with the Big Tuskers on the forum - section Mammals >> Big Tuskers . If you have seen (Big) Tuskers during your trip please let me know. Maybe I can help with ID’ing the ones you have seen and possibly you can help me and many other tuskermites with updates of the named or or to be named tuskers. You can be a great help to keep the tusker site up-to-date…. Thanks !!

Getting back to this story. The day we left Crocodile Bridge heading for Satara we found a nice male leopard (I showed him in story 10) near Lower Sabie. After Tshokwane I was just joking with Elly saying, we will see the leopard again we saw last year along the S86. So driving on and not thinking about it anymore we saw this junction to the S86. Giving a wink to Elly and saying…”here we go” with a big smile. Driving a few K’s on this loop I suddenly saw something in a tree, just near the road. Both looking and saying something like “Ohhhh My…..”

This is what we saw

-
-

What a beauty

-
-

Backlight was difficult and moving the car was no option with a leopard just above you. This one was looking out for “supper” so how much time do you get ?

-
-

Next picture shows our right choice… the leopard was down in a few seconds. But we were lucky

-
-

The leopard started to cross the road just in front of us and this time not running but walked slowly giving me a chance to make some pictures.

-
-

and

-
-

So pretty to see the beautiful colours and spots just in front of your eyes, just for ourselves.

-
-

The leopard disappeared in the high grass. We could follow the cat for some time but the pictures just show the head and back, not really worth to show here.

End of part I of this story.
As said your reporter will take you to some more locations with “Spots”

Part II
Closer to Satara (near junction with S126) we found this leopard.

-
-

and

-
-

First moving from right to left. We thought he was going away but I think had forgot something and suddenly the leopard went back again so we could enjoy a bit longer of this beautiful cat. (First trips we did not see many of them, but during this trip I started to like them more and more….)

So moving back to place he came from

-
-

And a last shot for this one

-
-

End of part II of this story.
Part III: Now it’s time for another spotted cat. Your reporter moves quickly to another location , the S37 (Satara area turning right from the H6 a few K’s after Sweni Hide)

Imagine some unbelieve by us. After the sighting with the mother and 5 cubs along the S100 now another 3 cubs. We could just see the mother moving away at a distance, I guess she was going for catching “dinner” for her kids. The kids were hiding a bit but good enough to watch them for some time.

-
-

Absolutely beautiful they are… and again a private sighting. S37 is not that busy (smileeee)

-
-

The 3 cubs were moving all the time, unsure and looking all directions. It was really great to watch them.

-
-

A cheetah mother says “stay here” to 3 kids and they stay …. Is this possible with 3 (human) kids ??

-
-

A last picture of them before we move back to ….

End of part III and for this story.
Your reporter moves quickly to another place. Big Cats, many times you don’t see them and sometimes you’re lucky….

Part IV
Another location, a tree and a leopard sleeping but this leopard is not alone !

I think most sightings with a leopard are like this… on a branch and sleeping…

-
-

But this time it’s different….
Mother is sleeping but alert

-
-

Any idea ? She is looking down to see what happens

-
-

This is the reason she looks down…. It’s her cub trying to climb the tree !

-
-

Wowwwww…. What a chance… Not really a daily thing to see a leopard cub and then this one giving a nice show. Not hiding in the grass or behind mother but playing and posing. Elly and I looking at each other and without words something like “what a luck again” was to to be seen in our eyes.
What a view , leopard cub in the tree this way with a nice background…
-
-

and

-
-

Climbing was not really going well so the cub went down again and after a last view the cub was not visible anymore, hiding in the grass between some branches.

-
-

Mother was looking at her cub with a look like “what a lovely kid I have and it’s ok”

-
-

Missing one thing ? Leopard in tree is 1, leopard with cub is 2 and leopard with cub and kill is 3 !

-
-

In the mean time mother changed position and saying goodbye to her and the cub..

-
-

Thanks for joining us again. “Playing reporter” for these BC Diary stories has become a big pleasure so it’s not the last one I think…..

Next…? Not a clue yet….

Regards
Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Aat&Elly Story 18: -The Dear and Friendly Ones-

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip.

Story 18: BC Diary - The Dear Ones -

It took some time but back with a new story about the beautiful, wonderful, amazing and magnificent Kruger

After several stories about lion and our spotted cats it’s time to go along the friendly ones.

Before we start: I like to make you aware of the Big Tuskers again. If you have seen (Big) Tuskers during your trip please let me know. Maybe I can help with ID’ing the ones you have seen and possibly you can help me and many other tuskermites with updates of the named or or to be named tuskers. You can be a great help to keep the tusker site up-to-date…. Thanks !!
Sorry to mention this again, but the Tuskers is a passion of me and a “few” more forumites.

For the Friendly Ones, let’s start the engines and roll……….

I think we see this Steenbuck often but not always posing nicely. This one was curious enough to have look at us and did not move when I took some pictures.

-
-

Not always friendly, but these two were very friendly with each other. It’s just one of these moments we all can enjoy

-
-

I liked this Kudu, a beautiful antelope with lovely kruger background

-
-

Friendly, lovely and …… what do you think…?
Moms with 2 babies…cute ?

-
-

Normally this one should be in the water but was crossing the road and could not resist to capture him (or her). This he or she was curious too, looking at the eye.

-
-

Friendly in another perspective. Just enjoying dinner in Satara and this AWC visited us and stayed for some time. Finally we could have a good look at this beauty. There two of them but the other one did not really like to be photographed.

-
-

Going through my pictures I found many Kudu pictures. To capture a male posing like this did not happen many times. This one was close and did not turn away like most of them do. Thanks my friendly friend

-
-

Getting in the northern section of kruger. Nyala is one of my favorite antelopes. I did not crop this photo, just because the combination of the Nyala and the beautiful environment in the north makes it so lovely.

-
-

Another female Nyala was posing at short distance too. I remember from other trips they mainly were hiding in the thicker and difficult to capture. Kruger can be so friendly with these moments.

-
-

And what to think of this male Nyala’s. Seeing them makes me happy, personally this is one of the most beautiful animals in kruger. He was together with his brother or friend and lucky enough they crossed the road just in front of us.

-
-

Here the second one. Wonder if you can find the few differences… ?

-
-

Going back south we stayed some time in Mopani and to our surprise we met some Reedbuck close to the Nshawu area. We have never seen them there and thinking about it, we have seen them before in kruger but not that often. Very nice antelopes and this one was showing his friendly way of posing.

-
-

A bit later we saw more members of the Reedbuck family. The male showed another possibility of being friendly to us.

-
-

The females of the family were posing more as ladies !!

-
-

and

-
-

Close your eyes for a moment and think about Pafuri picknick place. Open your eyes again, it’s early in the morning and breakfast time. Busy with eggs and bacon and then have a look at the other side of the river. It’s quiet, peaceful and you see 3 species together, all busy with their own things.

-
-

Some time later… leaving Pafuri picknick place and the male Nyala we saw earlier crossed the road.

-
-

More Nyala on the road when we went to Crooks Corner. Since you don’t see them often in the south a few more to show the beauty of the north.

-
-

And

-
-

Late afternoon this Kudu was slowly walking towards us and without bush and high grass disturbing the scene I could not resist to capture him.

-
-

Same with this male, just near the road. Wildlife can be so friendly

-
-

Enjoying kruger is more then looking at cheetah, leopard and lion… it’s enjoying every minute and all species in their environment. Just sitting somewhere and having breakfast and looking around does offer special moments too. Kruger can be crual but there are lots of friendly and peaceful moments. Watching animals is relaxing and the more you look at them the more beauty you see.

Thanks for joining us again.

Next…?

Regards
Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”