Aat&Elly Nov / Dec Trip 2013 (Last update 8 April)*

aat

Re: Aat&Elly Story 05: BC Diaries -Lion Roadblock -

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip from november 11th 2012 till december 9th 2012.

Story 06 – The Rare ones -

Hi again…. Hope you are all doing well.
This time I will take you with me for a drive through the north trying to find …?

We spent some time in the north and like I always say…. We are on the hunt for Tuskers but always find some nice animals / species on the “side”

When we arrived in the Mopani area and were driving there first time we were a bit shocked about how it looked. Almost black area…all burned down so no grass but blackened.
Getting closer to Tihongonyeni , one of our favorite places it was and looked empty.

In the area we almost did not see animals… no elephants, no buffalo… no…and no…

A bit away from the waterhole we found Tsessebe. One of the species you don’t see at many other places so I am happy I can show them to you

-
-

Great to see young ones , good for the population

-
-

And after a bit of whispering this beauty was posing for a nice close-up

-
-

Along one of the dirtroads further on , heading to the Old Main road we found some more Tsessebe.

-
-

and coming towards us friendly posing

-
-

And a picture of a nice group

-
-

Another day and following same route. Just passed Tihongoyeni and saying to each other something like “this is not our place” all empty…burned… we followed the small road towards the main road (capricorn loop) and suddenly huhhhhhhhhhh…???
Followed by a loud yessssssssssssssss SABLEEEEEEEEEE
Just too late to see them crossing the road but ohhhhh they are so beautiful

-
-

What a luck…. Forgetting all about burned grass etc…. just looking en being happy now.
(Sable are my favorite Antelopes…. )

-
-

At such a moment you only hope they are not running away from you… whisper…whisper…
The male (leader) looked to us…who are you and what are you…?

-
-

and

-
-

Counting the group was difficult because of the high grass / bush here…but we saw about 9 of them

-
-

They decided not to stay too long and starting moving away from us…so a last look before they disappeared in the bush

-
-

You still like the drive ? Hope so….
After a small break let’s continue

Let me first tell you this…. Some months before we started our trip we were reading bad news about the Roan antelope. Most of them died in the Mopani area. It was so sad to read this because the number of Roan is not that big in Kruger and when I am right about 40 of them were found dead.

Another day in Mopani and happy about the sightings on other days with Tuskers and Sable and Cheeatah we were taking the Capricorn Loop again….
Suddenly…. At the right side of the road I saw something moving…. Yes..? No..?…. yess…a Roan antelope…. Couldn’t believe my eyes but true….it was a male Roan
Feeling happy and sad at the same time thinking about what happened to them…and at the same time happy to see at least one.

-
-

and

-
-

He was not really close to the road but could photograph him well.
We were asking ourselves…is he the only one left ? Must be sad for him to see no other ones of the group(s) roaming the Mopani area…
Maybe one of you know if there are more Roan seen over the last few months ?

-
-

We spent quiet some time with him , enjoying every second

-
-

Well …bye Roan…hope times will change and hope you will find at least a female for a better future…
With some difficult to describe emotions we left him

-
-

Another day and going for the Shongololo loop….
I remember we were discussing the choice since we almost never have seen anything on this loop. Just going there for about 5 km suddenly a loud yell of an animal … I saw something coming from the right side running to the road….
This is the result

-
-

The Sable we have seen before (we think)
This time I could just make one more picture before they disappeared

-
-

Not really bad finding Sable , Tsessebe and Roan
But is is not over yet….

One of the days we decided to go north … for a picknick at Pafuri picknick place… so nice, quiet and beautiful up there.
On the way back we were just looking at a car driving with high speed towards Punda-Maria
Almost too late to see this huge Eland bull …. Stopping…reverse… and just being able to make a few photos of him

-
-

I think he was moving away quickly because of the racing car…

-
-
and
-
-

with a last view from behind ….

-
-

Time to leave the car ladies and gentlemen
Different story then the BC diaries but hope you liked this too

More stories to come …so stay tuned

Aat & Elly

Many other pictures of last en other trips:
My Wildlife Photography Site
http://www.awv-photography.com
Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Aat&Elly Story 06: -The Rare Ones -

Post by Richprins »

Nice pics, aat!

Still say the Northern Sable are darker than the south! ;-)

The roan that died were in a breeding camp, so did not affect the surrounding population! \O

Still an unusual area for them, and the sable!

Eland are always on the move, and skittish, so the best chance to photograph them is at a waterhole.

I think rare antelope numbers are stable if not increasing up North! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
aat

Re: Aat&Elly Story 06: -The Rare Ones -

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***
Like my previous TR’s, this is not going to be a day to day TR, but a series of stories about animals and special situations based on our last trip from november 11th 2012 till december 9th 2012.

Story 07 – BC Diaries – Mothers & Cubs -

Hi again and happy to see you for a new story. I better can say it’s about two stories.
One story about a Leopard mother and her cub and second one about a Cheetah mother with two little cubs.
I think I said something in my first story of this trip about having seen animals we have never seen before. As you know we have seen cheetah before but never little cheetah cubs, so a first time for them.

If you like… welcome on board and please join us with these great sightings.

Let’s start in Mopani. One of the few times we followed the Shongololo loop all the way.
It was late afternoon when we arrived near the “hide” close to Mopani when suddenly something came from the side of the road … crossing the road in front of me and walked away to the hill , opposite of the “hide”. Cheetah ? no… Leopard ? yessss
Stop…camera and action …

-
-

It’s a female Leopard. What a day… earlier that day we saw Cheetah and how the two Cheetah friends or brothers were re-united and now a Leopard. The Leopard did not stop but continued climbing the hill.

-
-

Was she going out for hunting ? They never tell you anything so it’s guessing. Following her all the way and hoping for a few nice shots

-
-

Come on my dear….please stop for a few seconds…. But no chance… climbing higher and higher

-
-

Last shot before she was hiding behind rocks and bush

-
-

So, time for a little break in this story… this day , 29th of november was a very very nice day.
We spent a few more nights in Mopani with other great sightings and on our last day (december 2nd ) before we took off for Satara we went to this place again early in the morning.
Why going there … Just by 6th sense I think.
At exactly same place we looked around and could not believe our eyes…. There high on the hill our Leopard again and something with her… a kill or …?

-
-

No !! She has a cub. Ahhhhh so that’s was the reason a few days ago she went up there.
We never have been spoiled with many leopard cubs so trying to capture them. Not easy with the distance.

-
-

Like us you have to look well but so nice to see a small leopard cub

-
-

Mother was getting up and the little one was looking… mom…are you going ?

-
-

Mother left the youngster alone and I guess the cub did not like this at all

-
-

Last thing we could see that the cub tried to follow moms… so small and gone in the bush up there

-
-

End of first story
Time for a coffee ? Or shall I continue with second story ?
Second story – Mother Cheetah and cubs

It’s late afternoon in Satara. It’s hot… and doubting about a late afternoon drive after a very nice day so far. Doubting mainly means …yess , let’s go for a drive. Driving around we finally decided to take the S40 (behind Satara camp) and not the main road. I remember we were talking about maybe seeing a rhino in that area.
Coming from Timbavati picknick spot side we were driving just a few minutes and with a lot of luck I just looked to the left and ……… huhhhhhhhhhh ????

-
-

Pounding heart… and quiet…. Unbelieve but true… a cheetah cub and mother behind a little bush. I think moms did not like it at all and started to move

-
-

Thenk everything went fast… mother crossed the road and expected her babies following her but they did not.
So moms was looking to the other side of the road and tried to call her cubs

-
-

Looking at her… she was looking like… Mhhh where are my children?

-
-

Cubs did not show and were not visible so a try to call louder ?

-
-

Still no sign … mother did not understand this and was looking a bit confused

-
-

Well… what can you do as mother if your cubs don’t react … yes, you go to them and get them

-
-

She was just at the other side , called and returned quickly to the other side of the road again.
And finally…. Yesssssssssssssssss there they are…. The Cubs…..
Nr 1

-
-

And a few seconds later Nr 2

-
-

and a last look before all 3 disappeared in the high grass

-
-

What a day …. What a time in kruger …what …. No words…just happy , very very happy with this sighting…. So great to see cheetah cubs in the wild….

Writing this story I almost feel the emotion again. Many trips to kruger, spent many many days there and seeing this first time …it’s a miracle and a privilage.

Thanks for joining us hope you liked it.
Many more BC diary stories to come

Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Re: Aat&Elly Story 07: -BC Diaries Mothers & Cubs -

Post by aat »

Hiiiiiiiiiii RP,
We are very much aware of the luck we had with the sightings and there is a nice number of stories to come :o0ps: :o0ps:
Think the reason is we are both sunday kids ... -O -O
Whatever the story is about the cheetah cubs.... for us it was first time we saw them... so tiny and even with "normal" grass the mother will hide them all the time.
I just think we were lucky because the mother was about crossing the road with the cubs and so we were able to see them.... I have said many words of thanks to the cheetah mother ...believe me... :-) :-)
Richprins wrote:You are extremely lucky! \O

Never seen either cubs either! :twisted:

Great pics, aat.

The theory is the cheetah cubs have that "mane" to resemble honey badgers hence surprising potential predators...and lion and leopard and try will kill them!

Dunno if that is true? Often reports of abovementioned killing adult cheetah. -O-

aat

Aat&Elly Story 08: - Romeo and Juliet -

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 08 – Romeo and Juliet -

After the Big Cat and special antelopes stories it’s time for something different. Sometimes you get the opportunity to witness a real love story.
It happened same day we saw the Cheetah cubs … and it happened along the same road behind Satara camp (S40)

I think this story does not need any comments or other narration by me…. The pictures tell the whole story, so nothing to read but enjoy this love story.

Still a bit speachless about the Cheetah cubs… about 5 KM ahead and here the Love Story starts

-
-

romeo and juliet ….samson and …..

-
-

mmmm love to love you baby…..

-
-

You are so beautiful….. to me…..

-
-

Hold me now….. hold me forever…..

-
-

You make me feel like crazy….

-
-

You’re my angel….

-
-

Hold me…. Hold me forever…..

-
-

I’m in love…. I’am in love …. I’am in love…

-
-

So nice to together….

-
-

Head’s in the air….

-
-

What…? What did you say….. ?

-
-

You asked me to merry you Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

-
-

A special day for these two lovers…. Kruger is not just crual, or kills or hunting / chasing and eating but also …love

Thanks for joining us again hope you liked this different story.
New BC story on the roll…. So keep tuned

Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aat

Post by aat »

Thanks, yes the were very gentle with each other , really a couple in love....
The fights with the necks is done by the males , we have seen that too at a bigger distance... those fights can result in the last thing for one of them...
Flutterby wrote:Lovely pics Aat!! \O

Were they very gentle with each other?

aat

Aat&Elly Story 09: BC Diary -The Kings-

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 09 – BC Diary - The Kings -

Time to get back to the Big Cat Diary and this time it’s about two kings of Kruger NP.
I think I told you in my wrap-up at the beginning of the stories that we have seen a very nice number of Big Cats.
In the Netherlands there is a lot to do about our new king Willem-Alexander April 30th. He will take over from his mother Queen Beatrix.
That’s a bit the background of this story…about Kings.
Many of you have seen the Kings in Kruger during trips, but meeting them at short distance, posing nicely, good light and no or just a few cars (in the south) doesn’t happen every day.

So jump in the car and join me during this great sighting.
Where..? Well just about 5 KM away from Afsaal picknick spot and around 8 o’clock in the morning. We were on our way to Afsaal for breakfast. Sometimes there are very good reasons to postpone a breakfast and this was one of them….

Camara’s ready ? Let’s gooooooo
Driving the H3… just talking about all the sand on the road, almost no animals to see, saying “it’s quiet this morning” and approaching Afsaal… “what are we going to eat ?” … and suddenly, coming just around a corner…. Yessssssssss….. wowwwww… tssssssssssss there they are.

-
-

Two beautiful male lions, just one car approaching from the other side.
Let’s have a look at them , first King Willem

-
-

and the other one… let’s say King Alexander

-
-

Hi… it’s just us, Aat and Elly..please to meet you
And..ehhhh King Willem …. don’t look at me this way …

-
-

King Alexander was posing nicely too

-
-

Laying down relaxed

-
-

Great light with the sun still rising… and I think the Kings just arrived and still waking up

-
-

That’s going along with some yawning

-
-

From a great distance (I guess) we heard another roaring lion.
King Alexander heard it too and yess… he started to roar too as a response like …. Take care we are here….

-
-

I was just thinking…. Did I ever see a male lion on his feet and roar at such a short distance ?
(they were about 10 to 20 meters away from us)

-
-

After making first series of photos I was looking at them , what a pleasure and how impressive and imposing they are….

-
-

Looking at their feet, the manes … the eyes….

-
-

and thanks King Willem…. Take your time for good yawning

-
-

Not enough ? Open your “mouth” a bit wider…no problem…

-
-

and thanks you again majesty to turn your head a bit more towards me…

-
-

(in the mean time some tourist vehicles arrived coming from Afsaal…so time for the two kings to stand up)

-
-

King Alexander was also about to leave, but as a good king he showed me his teeth too

-
-

Just after this he stood up and joined the other King to disappear into the bush… I guess to find a nice place to sleep ….

Thanks for joining us and good chance I will invite you next time for another BC Diary story… maybe about another cat starting with a L

Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Aat&Elly Story 09: BC Diary -The Kings-

Post by Richprins »

Hey, aat!

Brilliant pics! You could have been a dentist! =O:

The two giraffes are males, looks like to me! O-/

Keep it coming! 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

aat wrote:Mel,
Banging the necks is mainly done by males to find out who is the one to mate... this is a couple and just enjoying life ;-)
Mel wrote:Giraffes are wonderful animals! O:V

I'm particularly fond of those pics where the two of them intertwine their necks.
I've watched them banging their necks, but never something like that. ^Q^
But yours two do look like two males with the hair gone from the top their ossicones :-?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
aat

Aat&Elly Story 10: BC Diary -Leopard south & north-

Post by aat »

*** NEW Stories ***

Story 10 – BC Diary - Leopard North & South -

Welcome on board again !

But…. First I like to say thanks to all for paying attention to the stories.
So I take advantage of the number of people reading this (I hope). For the ones who don’t know my special interest is (Big) Tuskers…. Yes, these giants with thick and long tusks
If you found or will find these tuskers please post something on the Big Tusker thread (section Mammals) , or if you like some help with ID’ing the name or any other question please contact me by PM. I can only update my Tusker site http://www.tuskersofafrica.com by getting photos made by you.

Your trip-reporter will take you from south to north in our beloved krugerpark.
Leopards mainly appear sleeping in trees or quickly cross the road or show their tail to you… just sometimes you are lucky to look at them in a different way.

I don’t deny we have had some luck during this trip but as a Big Cat Diary reporter (smileeeee) I asked the cats to show themselves as good as possible.
I think I am right that IF you see a leopard it’s by surprise and Elly and I love surprizes very very much.

So let’s start in the south. Coming from Crocodile Bridge towards Lower Sabie on the main road, first 30 to 40 minutes nothing on or near the road…then approaching the turnoff to the S28.
Just at the other side (right) of the turnoff coming out of some small bush… yesssss

-
-

Leopard…. A male leopard…. Believe me sometimes one can be quick with stopping car, window down and camera ready to shoot….

-
-

Wowwwww what a beauty !! In the mean time realizing we have seen Leopard before near this area, a female with cub, a few years ago. So a very quick conclusion…this male was here to ….?
Idd , trying to find and date a nice girl.

-
-

Typical face of a any cat smelling something….. so no exeption with this beautiful leopard.

-
-

and a close up of him. Looking at the pictures, impressed again by him

-
-

The small bush near the road was very attractive …I think he smelled something he liked to smell…

-
-

It was really great to watch him…then he decided to cross the road

-
-

The colours… so special… with the sun rising…. 6:30 in the morning and looking at this king of beauty

-
-

A last view… he was walking away into the bush….

-
-

End of this small story

After a small break and then…. Your reporter takes you to the north.
Ok, we just arrived in Shingwedzi. Great area for tuskers, one of the reasons for us to go to Shingwedzi.
Late afternoon, one hour for closing time and and I decided to have one more drive to Kanniedood-dam… don’t kow why…but my “feelings” told me to go there. I hoped to see a tusker in that area or in the riverbed.

Well, NO tusker appeared and looking at my watch I said to myself…till the “corner” and then back. Just a few hundred meters before the “corner” to the right I saw something moving in the smaller bush near the road.
Yeppppp…… Leopard !

-
-

Quickly turned my car for better view

-
-

He was about crossing the road in front of me…so it was not going to be a long sighting.

-
-

What beauties are they. It’s great to see him so close-by. Realizing this does not happen so many times.

-
-

I tried to convince him to stay a bit longer, but no… leopard did not listen at all

-
-

And like in first story here… a last look at his tail before he disappeared into the bush.

-
-

Thanks for being aboard again and hope you liked the Kings of Beauty
Next story….? I really don’t know yet about what…

Aat & Elly

Last edited by aat on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”