Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Toko

Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Post by Toko »

What is interesting to see in the vicinity of Lower Sabie Rest Camp?

This is a short overview of AW Flavours of the Month in the Lower Sabie Rest Camp area:
H10 & Nkumbe Lookout https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4399
Lower Sabie Low Level Bridge H10 https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1318
H10 (Lower Sabie to Tshokwane) https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4399
Sunset Dam https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=543
Lake Panic https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1439
H4-1
S25 Crocodile River Road
S28 Nhlowa Road https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4921
Jones' Dam on the S36 https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=5035
S21 Nwatimhiri Road
S130 Gomondwane Loop & S137

Poplap

Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Post by Poplap »

Bushcraft

Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Post by Bushcraft »

Lower Sabie is in the middle of prime game viewing territory and is probably one of the most popular camps in Kruger. The diversity of roads in the area and the abundance of wild life is hard to beat IMO.

The restaurant/deli, although probably not the best restaurant, has a large wooden viewing deck where you can sit and have a chow or just enjoy a dop while watching game.

There’s also a fully stocked shop and swimming pool.

Lower Sabie Camp

Lower Sabie Tents

There is 1 x guest house (there used to be 3, but 2 have closed), 2 x 5 (FU5) and 2 x 4 (FU4V) sleeper cottages, 60 x 2 and 3 sleeper bungalows (BG2, BD2U, BD3, BD3Z and BD3U), 24 x 2 sleeper luxury safari tents, 26 multi bed huts and 33 camp sites, so again this camp offers something for everyone, but IMO they need more 4 and 5 sleeper units.

Guest Houses

The only remaining guest house is Keartland, which has 3 bedrooms, all en suite, 1 with a double bed and the other 2 have 2 single beds in each. There’s also a single “bed” in the lounge, but not really suitable for an adult, so 7 can be accommodated in total. There is also limited DSTV, but it never works when there’s any wind.

Keartland

The View of the Sabie

The Lounge

The Master Bedroom (The view from this room is awesome)

Family Cottages

The 2 x FU5 units have no view and are made up of 3 separate rooms which lead onto an open passage. 1 room has 2 single beds and the other 3. The 3rd room is the kitchen/lounge. These 2 units are amongst the 3 and 5 sleeper huts, but there’s a wooden fence separating you from them.
Personally I found these units more like dormitory type accommodation and definitely completely overpriced.

The 2 x FU4V units are completely different to the FU5 setup. The old BG2 units 93, 94, 95 and 96 have been renovated and joined to create 2 awesome 4 sleeper units, which are next to Keartland guest house, so one has similar views of the Sabie. They are made up of 2 en suite rooms with 2 single beds in each, which feed onto a common lounge/kitchen area.

These really are awesome units and I wish that Lower Sabie had more of them as it’s nearly impossible to get a booking.

Bungalows

The 60 x 2 and 3 sleeper units cause major confusion and if you try and get more information you will understand what I mean.

The old original BG units 3 to 22 have been upgraded to BD3U units. They are bigger and have an enclosed kitchen, hotplate, utensils, fridge, etc. Unit 3 is closest to the restaurant, so not the best and the views tend to improve from unit 9 onwards. Units 18 and 20 are the best IMO.

Units 31 and 32 are also BD3 units, but don’t have a view and 31 is a BD3Z (Z type units are for the disabled). Be warned though that the plumbing from unit 32 runs through 31 and if your neighbour uses the loo often, don’t expect any sleep.

From what I remember and the latest information that I can obtain (which is almost mission impossible 4), the remaining units used to be BG2’s, but most have been upgraded to BD2U’s and as far as I can tell only 10 old style BG2’s remain.

The BD2U’s are basically the same as the BD3U’s, but smaller and many have the fridge locked in a cabinet or in the bedroom, which is a major pain. 81 and 82 are good units according to my source.

I’m not sure if the final plan is to upgrade the remaining BG2 units (They are still available for booking in 2013), but they should be upgraded as they are terrible by comparison to the BD2 units.

Luxury Tents

Only 23 of the tents remain as tent 26 burnt down recently and as far as I can tell hasn’t been rebuilt. They are all 2 sleepers, en suite, with a fridge, kitchenette, utensils, etc.

Tents 20, 21, 27 and 28 have the best view of the Sabie, with 20 and 27 the best IMO.

If you are into privacy with a bit of a view you can’t go wrong with tent 16, which is my personal favourite.

I have called these luxury tents purely because they are en suite, but IMO not in the same league as the ones at Tamboti, etc, but still awesome value for money.

Huts

There are 26 multi bed huts, 4 xEH5 (there used to be 5), 8 x EH3’s, 10 x EH2’s and 4 X EH1’s. These units are basically a brick tent with no view, have a fridge, but no utensils, fan, etc and one has to make use of the communal ablutions and kitchens, but they are very cheap and IMO good value for money, despite the fact that many are falling apart.

When I was last in KNP, many of the EH5 and EH3 units were getting a revamp, so they may be way better now. (leachy, please give us more information on these units.)

Camping

The camp site is a little cramped and IMO one of the worst in KNP. Many of the sites don’t have any shade and the ground is hard, so make sure that you have some decent pegs.

The best site is number 19, its level with plenty of shade.

The best ablution block is the newer one near the old camp entrance.

The Cow normally takes pics in the camp and I delete them :? , so those that have pics, please post.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

View of the chalets on the perimeter of camp:

Plus: Separate main bedroom

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Safari tents Lower/Sabie

Definitely worthwhile IMHO to pay extra for a river view, unfortunately in this instance nothing was available....

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Vleisvreter

Post by Vleisvreter »

Use to love camping at Lower Sabie when the camping grounds was were the pool is today. Camped once in the new camping area after it opened and hated it. Now after many years not camping at LS i am going to give it another chance in October just to feed my Kruger addiction.

16,17,18 September 2012 -Mopani
2,3,4 November 2012- Lower Sabie
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I hope it is a positive experience V V!! ;-)

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Vleisvreter wrote:Use to love camping at Lower Sabie when the camping grounds was were the pool is today. Camped once in the new camping area after it opened and hated it. Now after many years not camping at LS i am going to give it another chance in October just to feed my Kruger addiction.
When in October V V. You may bump into a few others O\/

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

O** O**

Return to “Camps of Kruger”