Skukuza Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Toko

Skukuza Rest Camp

Post by Toko »

Bushcraft

Skukuza Rest Camp

Post by Bushcraft »

Skukuza is often the place that gets a bad rap from many, because it isn’t the kind of place you go for peace and quiet.

It’s one of the sites for the dreaded hotels, has conference facilities, an internet cafe, doctor, library and museum, 2 restaurants, car wash, etc and is basically a small city, but things aren’t all bad and there are a few secrets in the accommodation area.

A small city

There are 4 x guest houses, 15 x 4 and 6 sleeper cottages, 178 x 2 and 3 sleeper bungalows, 20 x luxury 2 sleeper units, 20 x 2 and 4 sleeper safari tents and 80 camp sites, so massive in my opinion, but something for just about everyone.

Guest Houses

3 of the 4 guest houses sleep 8, 4 bedrooms all en suite and ABSA, the largest sleeps 12 in 6 bedrooms.

All have 2 single beds in each room.

IMO Waterkant 1 is the best of the lot.

Family Cottages (all are the same price for a base rate of 4)

There are 7 x 6 sleeper cottages called GC6D’s (1 of is a GC6DZ for the disabled). They have 3 single beds in 1 room and a single plus a double in the other room, both en suite.

The best of these is definitely 223 or 224 as they are the closest to the river and away from the noisy swimming pool.

Unit 223 has an open peace of grass in front of it and it’s an easy 20m walk to obtain a river view.

Next for the family are the 5 x GC4V’s, 218 to 222. These are 4 sleeper, 2 bedroom en suite, river view units.

GC4V 222 being the best as you don’t have a neighbour on your left.

GC4V Views From the Fence

GV4V View from Veranda

Exactly the same as and next to the GC4V’s is the Elsie Clarke cottage, unit 217. It’s the same price, just a little bigger and has a double bed in the 1 room.

Next there’s a strange unit called a GC6 cottage. This is a single unit which is made up of 2 x 3 bed bungalows that have been joined together, by constructing a kitchen in the middle. This unit is next to Monis guest house which can get a little loud sometimes.

What’s nice about this unit is that it has a little private lapa attached closer to the fence.

Lastly there’s the single GW2 unit, which confuses many as it used to be advertised as a guest house, but is far from it, hence the reason it’s the same price as the other family units. What’s nice about this unit is that it’s in the corner of the camp next to Waterkant 1 guest house, but the river views aren’t as good as the other river view family units, it’s a strange design with a faulty little kitchen and very close to the staff village, so noise pollution is a major hassle.

GW2 Unit

I have stayed in all of the family type cottages and the GC4V’s are definitely the best.

Bungalows 2 and 3 sleepers

These are BE, BG and BD type units. The E’s are enclosed and the G’s aren’t, but both don’t have hot plates. The D’s have hot plates and this is the only major difference.

Unit 191 or 195 are the best of these units, with the latter the superior as it has a large parking, no neighbour on the right and one can almost see the river. It’s situated behind the GC6 unit, but has an open piece of grass down to the fence on the right.

Luxury Bungalows

These are larney 2 sleeper units, with limited DSTV. The units to the west of the restaurant are the best, with 88 or 90 being the best of the lot.

Personally a little of a financial overkill for me, but I have to admit that the view from these units is awesome.

There’s 1 luxury unit called the Lion Cottage, which is basically the same, but a little bigger and the very best of the best.

Safari Tents

These are amongst the camping section, have a fridge, fan, bedding, etc, but one has to utilize the communal kitchens and ablutions.
Units 314, 320, 315, 316, in that order, are the best, as they are along the fence line. There are others on the fence line, but very close to the staff village and again noise pollution is an issue.

Tent 314 which is the most private and on the fence.

Tent 304 You can see the roof of a warehouse in the staff quarters in the background, therefore not the best.

Camping

The camping section can be broken up into 2 different areas, one near the fence and the other near the pool. The stands on the fence are shady, but aren’t all level. The ones near the pool are level, there’s more traffic and less shade.

The ablutions nearer the fence section are also better quality than the pool section ablutions.

Personally, along the fence is best, even if it isn’t level.

General Pic of the camping area

The camp has a fully stocked shop, which is almost like a small super market, but a little more expensive. There’s a Deli, which is ok and is hundreds for a quick breakfast, but does get full during the lunch hours. The main restaurant for me isn’t value for money, with Selati restaurant a better option, but it’s also Russian roulette there at times IMO.

There’s also a lapa for hire with a TV for rugby games, etc.

I unfortunately never take too many pictures in camp, but hopefully others have a few to add.

Poplap

Re: Skukuza Rest Camp

Post by Poplap »

Here also a few pics of chalets from my side:

And then of course there is the Campbell Museum that the LO has an endless fascination for:

Despite it being so busy, we always had and probably always will have a soft spot for Skukz (without a hotel, that is).

I can write a book about our SMTWAS (Seven Man Tent With A Slope) next to the fence. So I'm not too sure about the slope with a view, or the level without the view.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Skukuza has overtaken other camps like Satara regarding sightings over the last 5 years or so...but still not worth it because there is so much traffic, in my opinion.

Click on image:

skukuza.jpg
What to look for:

Hippopotamus, lion, leopard, wild dog

Jackalberry Tree
Last edited by Richprins on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

RP, what you lose on the swings, you win on the roundabout... or something like that. We had an awesome time in Jan. The best sightings in years. (PS. Are you forgetting about the leopards that strolled through the camp at night - not too long ago?) True story. In fact, it checked into one of the guest houses. http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... p-20101001 There are other 'urban legends' about Skukz too.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

I must say that I like the Skukuza area

Game viewing is usually pretty good. And if you avoid the "motorway" towards Lower Sabie, and other tar roads in the area, the same roads can be relatively quiet traffic-wise. Even during busy times.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

We have booked a GC6D cottage from 15 - 17 July. O/\ Reading BC's report it would appear that number 223 is the best one to ask for.

I would guess that phoning the camp to request a certain cottage would be the best way to do it.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

steamtrainfan wrote:We have booked a GC6D cottage from 15 - 17 July. O/\ Reading BC's report it would appear that number 223 is the best one to ask for.

I would guess that phoning the camp to request a certain cottage would be the best way to do it.
I'm staying in 223 on the 12th and 13th of July STF =O: =O: Maybe I will leave you a surprise O** ;-) It is closest to the GC4V’s and the fence and the further from the pool. 224 is ok, but is close to Selati, which can get noisy also, so 223 is the best IMO

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks for that confirmation BC. Knowing you I am not sure quite what to expect as a "surprise" O-/ O-/ O-/ -O- -O- -O-

Lets hope its a couple of wild dog. O/\ O/\ or maybe you will leave Hawkeye to help us in spotting game. =O: =O: =O:

But once again I will expect a fully detailed report on where to find all those "lekker" sightings that you see. \O \O

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, STF! Phone the camp closer to the time, shouldn't be a problem! Even try phoning now! Enjoy! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Camps of Kruger”