Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Post by Richprins »

From Pumbaa's recent trip:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8270&start=50

we reached Berg en Dal camp again to finally check in. Whilst I was busy with the formalities Timon found on a tree trunk a lot of butterflies as well as strange looking bugs which had to be captured.

We got bungalow No. 29 which was close to the fence and had a nice view

and after we had been moved in completely and due to the heat and because it was already 15.30 o’clock we decided to stay the rest of the day in camp and instead stroll a bit along the Rhino trail into the direction of the dam in front of the restaurant which we finally did after a short break.

Whilst our walk we already met four rhinos who walked into the direction of the dam

and where about to arrive there at the same time – We were again shocked about the water level as we cannot remember having seen that dam so low ever before but at least the rhinos had fun and soon laid down to take a nap

or to take an extensive mud bath.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From Pumbaa's recent trip:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8270&start=50

One had and enjoyed its private spa

whilst a rubbing stone was open for everyone

and the rhinos waited in line in front of the stone until it was their turn and not even the back or the best part needed a special attention but also the snout.

Others were still busy with that beautiful mud bath

and afterwards the stone had to be used

whilst others were still lying in their puddle.

Also a lot of waterbucks were around especially two moms with their two youngsters and the youngsters

were enjoying life and were running around and jumped a lot. We had already a great fun in watching the rhinos but to observe the vitality of the young waterbucks was stunning and on top we never saw that much young waterbucks in the entire park as this year.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The rhinos were nearly completely covered with mud

and to our joy a group of speckled mousebirds also arrived and we were glad to capture them as well

and after they all flew away we concentrated again onto the rhinos who quenched their thirst

and were rolling in the mud.

We also spotted a black headed oriole,

the speckled mousebirds returned for another photo shooting

and also lifer no. 5 could be ticked in form of a yellow breasted apalis.

Meanwhile the rhinos finished their spa treatments and started to walk along the fence into the direction of our bungalow

joined by some waterbucks

and joined by us as we also walked together with them and it was for sure a more than wonderful decision that we stayed in camp for the rest of the day as it was simply a wonderful show we could watch.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The rhinos walked with us extreme close and only the fence separated us but they were such gentle giants and kept totally calm and stopped from time to time to allow us some extreme close shots.

Back in our bungalow Timon lit the braai and we made ourselves comfortable already around the table with our books and the minute our steaks were ready the incidents precipitated.....

We were still busy with our meat when we heard a rustling in the tree close to our bungalow and when we looked up we saw a genet who jumped from the tree top on to our roof and there started to poo

and because of the roof was steep the droppings started to roll down the roof and landed right on our table but gladly neither on our plates nor in our glasses but in fact we had a good laugh at that incident already. Whilst Timon was busy in pursuing the genet

I was searching for a torch as Timon mentioned something about a loud hissing but we could not believe that such a small cat can hiss that loud and so whilst shining with our torch into the direction we first got an extreme shock as we noticed a large black mamba extreme close to our bungalow

and both the genet and the black mamba obviously hissed at each other

the genet was always approaching the black mamba really close and same was always hissing back.

After quite a while and after lots of pictures later the black mamba got up and slithered into the direction of the neighbouring bungalow and later on down to the fence

and finally disappeared in the darkness – WoW what a more than thrilling first evening in the park – After we then calmed down we continued with our meal although same got meanwhile cold but nevertheless we still talked a bit longer about that exciting adventure but also assured that we will now even more watch our steps especially during darkness.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Pumbaa:

Pumbaa wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:24 pm As it was meanwhile late and we were a bit tired from driving the whole day we again decided to stay for the rest of the day in camp and after a short break we again paid the camp dam a visit as we had such a fun there yesterday.

One single rhino was already there and had already occupied the best place to stay

we also spotted close by a grey heron and a couple of water thick knees

and as a small herd of buffaloes was about to advance the rhino laid down.

All of them were thirsty and quenches their thirst

and then on top a lone elephant bull also appeared on the scene

Image[/URL]

so we had three of the big five on one picture and here we already were happy that we stayed for the rest of the day in camp again instead of driving around as the show of the grey giants was about to start.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Pumbaa wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:25 pm Suddenly the buffaloes started to run

only to calm down seconds later whilst Mr. elephant

was busy in using the best mud wallow in the entire park and only set same free until his whole body was muddy

whilst the buffaloes did not bother the elephants presence

and as same meanwhile disappeared one of the buffaloes took over the world’s best mud wallow

and demonstrated us how good life is – on buffaloish!

and that attracted the next buffalo who wanted to test that wallow as well

gladly it was still a lot of mud left

and meanwhile all of the buffaloes had a fantastic time.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

steamtrainfan in 2014:

While walking back from reception we almost stood on this guy. Big pincers = not too poisonous.

I estimate that he was 8-9 cm long.

:shock:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 9&start=20

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From a 2014 Pumbaa trip:
Pumbaa wrote: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Back in camp it was time to relax a bit and whilst Timon stayed at the bungalow to search for some nicely posing birdies I strolled on the Rhino Trail to the shop with a stop at the dam and on my way back to our bungalow I heard some sort of woodpecker and I was already searching in the close by trees for the troublemaker and I was indeed successful in finding same but it was no woodpecker but one of my most wanted to be photographed bird – a black collared barbet. How I was annoyed that I did not walk with a camera as at least today this bird escaped me once again.

Well at least I thought so – As Timon knows that this bird is highly on my “to be photographed” list he already captured same whilst I was in the shop but he did not want to tell me and only wanted to show me what he caught in the evening when downloading the pictures of the day but he melted away whilst I told him that I just saw another black-collared barbet and had once again no camera with me so finally I could also tick this bird.

But he could not only photograph this bird - close to our bungalow there was a fig tree with some more than ripe fruits and I also hoped that maybe a green pigeon might show up but it appeared instead another bird which so far did not cross our path that often in Kruger – a purple crested turaco

and same was in an extreme good mood to pose and sit still for some shots.

The colourful bird got even more curious in the strange thing with the long lens on which is making so strange noises.

As same sat so still and was permanently offering more and more poses without flying away it took even longer and the already so colourful bird got even colourfullier.

After a satisfying time the show was over and the bird could finally nibble on the delicious smelling figs

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3940

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Return to “Camps of Kruger”