Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Alf

Re: Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Post by Alf »

Well during our stay at Bergendal in January there was another leopard in camp. A guy showed me a photo on his phone at the shop where he saw the leopard run past a bungalow. I warned my neighbors but they thought i was crazy and i saw them walk to the restaurant area along the trail after sunset 0*\

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
nan

Post by nan »

I retain 2 sentences
shoot... O-/
and walk along the trail after the sunset ... 0-

super nice light for the Rhino ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Alf

Post by Alf »

Well that same afternoon we walked along the trail and actually looked at all the overhanging trees and said this should be easy for a leopard to get into camp... 0*\

Next trip to the bush??

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Maybe it was leopard looking for Peter sleeping in the trees? lol

But seriously, they must be shot, unfortunately, IMO. Not an endangered species, and the consequences regarding someone getting mauled/killed are just not even remotely acceptable, end of story! These leopards are often sick or old, hence their entry into human space. :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:
But seriously, they must be shot, unfortunately, IMO. Not an endangered species, and the consequences regarding someone getting mauled/killed are just not even remotely acceptable, end of story! These leopards are often sick or old, hence their entry into human space. :evil:
I hate to say it but you are probably correct, however I'm not sure if I would volunteer the information if I spotted one in camp knowing it would be shot. Every other means to get it out safely should be explored first 0:

nan

Post by nan »

once, some time ago, was a Leopard in a fenced camp in the Kgalagadi, and we decided to not propage the news everywhere... nothing happend, the Leopard go out "normaly"... end of the story

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Glad it was a happy ending to the story nan. \O

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Richprins wrote:Maybe it was leopard looking for Peter sleeping in the trees? lol

Never!!! Leopards are used to living with humans and no tourist has ever been lost in Kruger..and NEVER report leopards in camp ..That original B N Dal leopard was always in camp because they built the camp IN ITS territory and had nothing to do with it being sick or old. The 2 leopards who were recently reported in camp on separate occasions at Tamboti and shot as a result of misguided tourists reporting them were also young and in the peak condition ..They just waltzed through the open unattended gate as they do most days ..take the fence down it serves no purpose apart from giving a false sense of security to guests..I am always very aware in the unfenced camps in Bots..There is no such thing as human space in a place like Kruger/Hwange/Etosha etc ...it belongs to all who live in it especially the animals

A leopard in camp in Botswana (They are always in camp that's why people love to go ...to COMMUNE with nature ..If people want them shot ...Pretoria zoo is the place to go where you can view them 'in a safe' environment)

Leopards are always in camp in the lowveld ..Here one is making itself at home in the main building at Singita

Mabuasehube the leopards come to camp to drink ..and it is not necessary to shoot them ...Never shoot an apex predator like a leopard ...rather educate the public and sign indemnity forms..but in the case of leopards it is not necessary ...she could have cubs in the bush nearby and by shooting her knee jerk fashion deluxe will certainly sentence the cubs to starve to death...and rule no 1 never report a leopard in camp
Last edited by Polentswa on Wed May 27, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Leopard have killed Kruger staff relatively recently, Peter...a gate guard in the gatehouse at Shingwedzi, a jogger in Skuks village, and a night drive ranger on the H-3...so no taking chances, IMO! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

I see we were reading the same book RP

Leopards are opportunists and they get into a routine, so any human following any routine are in trouble if entering leopard country

Next trip to the bush??

Return to “Camps of Kruger”