Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Flutterby

Re: Shimuwini Bushveld Camp

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely! \O

Dindingwe

Post by Dindingwe »

I was in that camp for the first time last October and I liked it very much. It is a remote and quiet camp, and a very good place for birding. We were there with another couple, friends of us. The only criticism I would do is that in the 2 bed / 2 bathroom cottagesn only one bathroom has a shower (the other one has a bathtub)...

A friend of us birding in the camp (she saw a Orange-breasted Bush-shrike, and not me :evil: )
1O4A8063.jpg

A big Buffalo bull, just on the other side of the electric fence, and that almost charged me when I took this picture
1O4A7980.jpg

And in the middle of the afternoon, I spotted this Hare (I am not sure whether it is a Scrub Hare or a Cape Hare), a rather rare sighting during the day
1O4A8032.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Cute hare \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The hare looks young...very cute! :-0

nan

Post by nan »

I like too very much Shimuwini \O

nice Hare and Buffalo, not so placid lol
^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From a Moggiedog report, 2013:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... =46&t=2321
Moggiedog wrote: Sat May 11, 2013 5:26 pm

We were greeted along the final stretch by ever vigilant eagle eyes.

Arriving at Shimuweni - my first thought -

Would Star still be alive? She and I had become acquainted on our previous visit - and she was long past her sell by date - even then.

The car was a good few tons lighter and it was time to relax and enjoy each others company. One thing about Shimuweni - you don't have to go much further than your porch to see things. Especially when the calm of the evening descends over the river.

Time for an early night. Tomorrow was a new day and only Mother Nature knew what she was going to reveal to the happy band of wanderers.
Moggiedog wrote: Mon May 13, 2013 5:51 pm The may have been a shortage of "hunted" animals but there was no shortage of beautiful sunrises.
Each morning I would go for a drive accompanied by either one or two of my fellow travelers. Most mornings mother and I would do our round trip and meet up with Jill and Allan in camp. There was plenty of general game and birds to keep us occupied. Hippo's wallowed in the river as graceful giraffe skimmed across the landscape.

Star had made her appearance and I was very happy to see her. I certainly did not expect her to still be alive. We quickly renewed our friendship and she was more than willing to come for a head scratch when I called her.

We did not have a parade of elephant walking past - but each day a single visitor made his way down the river bank then headed off into the sunset.

A tree held a fascinating collection of exoskeletons.

There is something to be said for relaxing round camp and not spending the day driving. We were entertained by birds and pervert monkeys.
The hornbill is always ready to bring a smile and a bit of laughter to the day.

ImageImage

On the far bank a saddle bill and his wife spent the day fishing. Every now and again making a mad dash across to the sand islands in search of tastier morsels.

A lone water-buck noticing the male of the herd was not in sight, strutted his stuff, only to be furiously attacked by the man himself. A short sharp battle ensued. It was finally ended when the attacker decided discretion was the better part of valor. With hanging head the game attacker slunk off looking defeated and lonely. At the time it was enjoyable to sit and watch - in retrospect - I regret not having taken any photographs. I was enjoying seeing it with the naked eye rather than through the camera lens. I will have to settle for the pictures framed in my mind.

Days and nights blended into new dawns and sunsets. Each day bringing something unexpected to be admired and appreciated. One evening on an afternoon drive a herd of impala crossed the road in front of us. This was not a normal herd - something was different.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Jillinflorida wrote: Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 am Here's MD saying hello to Star. I think I remember reading that in the wild they live about 10 years and Star was 25....

No idea why all the extra 'stuff' is showing...I'm just impressed I've managed to post a picture!

This spider seemed to hanging in mid air. Is it a Golden Orb? MD would know.

Moggiedog wrote: Wed May 15, 2013 9:27 am Nature is not always kind - even to the most beautiful of birds. We past the effulgent feathers of a LBR brightening the stony ground.
ImageThe grey matter immediately wondered what had plucked the life from this bird. On a turnout to the river a giant tree stood majestically reaching to the sky.

Perched in its mighty branches, brightening the day, were eight of these beautiful birds. I cannot recall ever having seen so many in a single place before.

Sadly it was impossible to capture these decorations as the view through the lens did not have the same capabilities as the naked eye.

A fleeting glimpse of an Nyala as he made a dash for safety - away from the roaring monster that was rumbling down the pathway. A kudu lifted his majestic head and regally walked off into the thick bush. A couple of Giraffe looked disdainfully down their noses before continuing stripping the branches with their long black tongues.

This area was certainly spider paradise. Which ever way you look the strands of silver stretched across the road and between the branches. Suspended against the blue sky, these spiders waited in anticipation for winged creatures to be trapped in their deadly webs.

We had wanted to do a night drive but all the rangers were away on a training course - so this option was denied us. We would have to attempt this escapade at our next camp. Although the days had slipped away we still had a night left before heading off to our next adventure zone. But first the impala - it was a very big herd. Little ones with tiny horns starting to poke through the head. Some lazing under the bushes others keeping a careful watch over their family. A huge male crossed the road - sadly with a broken hind fetlock - as he limped his way under the trees, a few more followed. Towards the back of the group a beautiful female lifted her head. She, like her male companion, had a broken fetlock - but her's was the front leg. Somehow they had survived but both were obviously suffering and probably the kindest thing would have been a quick kill by some predator.

A final sunset over Shimuweni Image and a good nights sleep it was time to fly to our next destination.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Some pics from a 2014 Supernova story:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5606
Supernova wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:48 pm We saw some general game for the first few kilometers then it went quiet until we turned off on the S141 to Shimuwini.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Supernova wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:44 pm

At Shimuwini we booked in and loaded the meat in the freezers at the camp entrance. I warned all that the lights would go out at about 21h00, and only come on again at about 08h00. The chalets are great and all have a view of the dam, I would love this camp if only it were on the bank of the Sabie river :-0

There were Impala, Buffalo and Water Buck along the far bank

Granny and the girls went down to the hide, and to call Bushcraft, while Melly and I unpacked. They found plenty of birds and animals at the fence line, and a hippo hiding behind the reeds.

Before going on the evening drive we took a walk to explore the camp and to find Shine. Shine was looking tired, I am happy to read that she is still doing well. 0/*

Shimuwini is an awesome little bush camp, definitely worth a visit for those who have not been there.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
23h23 hours ago

05:58
Sunrise over the Letaba river
Seen from Shimuwini Camp
Tinged by CdB

Return to “Camps of Kruger”