Punda Maria Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Toko

Punda Maria Rest Camp

Post by Toko »

What is interesting to see in the vicinity of Punda Maria Rest Camp?

This is a short overview of AW Flavours of the Month in the Punda Maria Rest Camp area:

S61 Klopperfontein Dam & Windmill
S56 Mpholongolo Loop & Babalala Picnic Spot
S63 Luvuvhu River Road
S99 Mahonie Loop https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p150163

BunnyHugger

Punda Maria Rest Camp

Post by BunnyHugger »

Originally a ranger outpost, it later became a rest camp.

Situated at 22°41'31.55"S and 31° 1'6.27"E, this charming little camp boasts the true "old style Kruger" accommodation, with Wattle and daub huts and a camping area for the camping and caravanning enthusiasts.

The camp itself is situated on a hill with some awesome drives around it. Inside the camp is the Flycatcher trail which is worth the effort of walking.

It is about a day drive to Crooks corner. (The place where 3 countries borders meet, viz Zimbabwe, Mozambique and RSA.) Past the Levuvhu picnic site are fever tree forests that team with Nyala as well as other antelope.

Thulamela is another ancient ruin and archaeological site well worth visiting.
Last edited by Bushcraft on Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flutterby

Re: Punda Maria Rest Camp

Post by Flutterby »

Last edited by Bushcraft on Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

My favourite camp!!!!!!!

You only need to know driving up to Crooks corner via klopperfontein and Mahonie loop. That will keep you busy for weeks IMNSHO.

Driving up to crooks corner is through thick mopane veld, but once you are next to the Levhuvhu river, all changes, There are so many places where you can just stop and enjoy a cup of coffee with rusk, Pafuri picnic spot is not the only one, but a very worthwhile spot.

The mahonie loop is only 32km from start to finish, but what a awesome 32km. It does on average take me about 4 hours to drive this loop. I have only once driven this route without spotting Sharpe's Grysbok, and usually spot about 3-5 on a drive. Birders - THIS IS A MUST DO ROAD!!!!!!

The camp itself has a very small store and restaurant, all in one. The shop stocks only the very basics, and I mean very. The restaurant and reception's service is quick efficient and friendly.

Tent no4 is the best of the lot, and keep a look-out at night for the genets running all over the area.

The camping area is big and do offer enough shade.There is one problem though - The campsite is run through with a lot of ridges, and if you choose the wrong spot in rainy weather you will be swimming as your site will be on the run-off for the water coming from the top of the site. Honeybadgers, Ciwets, Genets, Hares and Thick tailed bushbabies are all very regularly spotted at night next to the fence as well as buffalo and elephant coming to the waterhole to drink.

The campsite does have a hide overlooking a drinking hole. During the day elephants, buffalo, impala and zebra frequent this spot. Birds also come down and with the right light, the possibility of amazing pictures of Bateleur bathing and Gymnogenes is possible.

I have sat there once in the afternoon just to look up and see an elephant cow not 5m from me enjoying a drink of water, not bothered in the least by my presence. Experiences like that makes a person realise we are only a very small cog in this wheel.

Do a nightdrive from here, what an experience. I did that once and had lion, plenty of plains game , sharpe's grysbok, nightjars to many to count, 3x ciwet, genets and an aardwolf.

There is no better camp and/or road(mahonie) in the park for me, and can easily make that my home!!
Last edited by Bushcraft on Wed May 23, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

p.jpg

Click on image:

punda_maria.jpg

This is an old camp, the northernmost and westernmost big camp in Kruger. (Yes, it is further west than Pretoriuskop!) It is quiet and rustic, with a large fanbase. Also easy to get bookings as it is so remote. It is easily the best camp for birding. It also has the greatest variety of trees and plants in the area, basically all the trees one can find in Kruger.

Mammal life can be sparse, although all predators bar cheetah can be seen if one is very lucky.

What to look for:

Sharpe's grysbok, nyala, crested guineafowl.

Pod Mahogany
Last edited by Richprins on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Toko

Punda Maria Rest Camp - About the Name

Post by Toko »

About the name:

The name 'Punda Maria' dates back to 1919 when Captain JJ Coetser (the first ranger of the post), mistakenly named the site ‘Punda Maria’ assuming it was the Swahili term for zebra, which actually is 'punda miliya'. But when he learned of his error he wanted to keep the original name, because ’Maria’ was his wife.
The Parks Board later renamed the camp, but in 1981 then park warden Dr Tol Pienaar changed it back to the original 'Punda Maria'.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Aha...always wondered about that! \O My dad always calls it Punda Miliya because that's what it was in the'old days'! :O^

leachy

Post by leachy »

:-) :-) :-) :-)

the gardens
the verandah
the use of iron wood in the structure instead of metal
from inside the gates at opening time
the accommodation

the future is not what it used to be
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

The round container is... :-? :-?

-O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
leachy

Post by leachy »

Amoli wrote:The round container is... :-? :-?

-O
a visitor from another galaxy ...........

aka............

R2D2

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

the future is not what it used to be

Return to “Camps of Kruger”