Public Participation Invite on 10 year Kruger Management Plan

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Kruger National Park Management Plan Review Notice

Post by Lisbeth »

I cannot find a date anywhere on when it was published and where 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

lol
Last edited by Richprins on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

When were the dates of the various meetings published?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

I agree that if due process is not followed there could be some interesting moves.

I am currently reading South African Eden The Kruger National Park by James Stevenson-Hamilton and last night these words jumped out at me!

Apart altogether from the vexed question as to just how far comforts and conveniences for visitors may be provided without damaging the character of such an institution as the Kruger National Park – a matter concerning which I have invariably attempted to maintain views as unprejudiced as are possible to a person of my antecedents – it may not be out of place to set forth, even at the risk of being considered by some old-fashioned, what, in my opinion, should be the ideals of a permanent wildlife sanctuary. There exist fundamental distinctions between the great South African national park and those of the United States of America, whose example first inspired in my mind the conception which later matured. In the latter, the attractions are mainly scenic, the animals play a secondary role and the various danger of primitive African bush are absent.

Were we to cover our own sanctuary with a network of roads and allow our rest-camps to become too numerous, the privacy which is so necessary for the wild animals would be seriously threatened, and during the open period they might tend to seek more complete seclusion in Portuguese territory or in other Lowveld land less overrun by visitors. In fact, while the American National Parks are rightly known as ‘playgrounds for the people’, the Kruger National Park may more fitly be designated as ‘a sanctuary for the fauna to which the public is admitted’.

The situation therefore requires careful watching, since there is a natural and perhaps growing tendency to invert the relative importance of visitors and animals, leading ultimately and inevitably to the disappearance of the character of the park and its gradual conversion into a mere glorified zoological garden. So long as this is borne in mind, every possible consideration should be shown to the public, and every reasonable facility provided. This should be done because on the continued popularity of the park depends the whole future of wildlife in South Africa, and to some extent elsewhere, so world-wide has become its frame and so greatly has it stimulated similar effort in many other countries.

HE GOES ON TO SAY:

It should also cultivate a spirit of sympathy with them, to let it be realised the animals are more admirable alive, and in their natural setting - themselves in fact – than converted into the rags and bones of hunters’ trophies, or confined, listless prisoners behind bars. As town populations increase and urban industries develop, life generally grows more and more artificial and it will no doubt become correspondingly more interesting – as well as scientifically valuable – to have retained one spot where nature remains unspoilt, where the public, can form some idea of how the country looked before man intruded. It will be here in the forests and the streams, peopled by their wild denizens – just as they were thousands of years in the past – that a scene from the Pleistocene, within a few hours’ travel of a great modern city will be viewed at minimum expense and with no more hardship than may be involved in sitting quietly in an automobile.

AND LASTLY:

For instance, we may learn how nature, left entirely alone, manages her own affairs in respect of limitation and increase of various species, how, in short, life went on in the world before man became a factor to reckon with!

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I wonder if the management of Sanparks have ever bothered to read anything written by James Stevenson-Hamilton.....or maybe they just don't care -O-

Also Dr.Mabunda compared the US National Parks to the SA ones, without explaining that they are something completely different. If Sanparks go on with their commercialization plans it will soon be the end of the wildlife watching as we know it today. Actually in the south it has already changed 0*\

I have already said elsewhere that I'd rather see the Kruger as a sanctuary closed to the public, than to see it die little by little because of commercialization, which will without doubt happen if Sanparks do not change their politics.

There are so many natural riches in SA that if developed and used in the right way, the government does not need to commercialize Kruger or any of the other Parks.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Public Participation Invite on 10 year Kruger Management Plan

Post by Richprins »

Just found out entirely coincidentally that there will be one of these meetings at Berg en Dal on Thursday 11 May! No notification that I could find at all! @#$

Anybody around?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Here are the links for members to register as stakeholders, I suggest as many of us do so as possible, it seems to be the only way to get meaningful info! 0*\

Notice that one has to work off, SP website, only got the email address from a Lowvelder article by Elize!

https://www.sanparks.org/conservation/p ... g_form.php

https://www.sanparks.org/conservation/park_man/

Alternatively, you can contact the Project Manager by sending an e-mail to knpmanagementplan@sanparks.org, or call Dudu Letswele on: 013 735 4102 between Monday and Friday during office hours (07:30-16:00).

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger wants your help with management plan
Have an opinion about how things should work in the Kruger National Park? Now is your opportunity to voice that opinion.
April 9, 2017

SKUKUZA – From April 18 SANParks is asking your help with the Kruger National Park’s Management Plan.

Interested and affected parties are invited to participate in the review process of the plan.

The Park Management Plan provides the strategic and operational framework for the management of KNP.

READ How the process will work

Stakeholders will have the opportunity to provide inputs through public meetings, written inputs and
interest group meetings.

Public meetings will take place at the following venues:

18 April 2017
Mutale:Tshilamba Community Hall
09:30

19 April 2017
Born Again Church, Maphophe Village

20 April 2017
Malamulele: Worship Tabemacle Christian Church

21 April 2017
Giyani Old Parliament

24 April 2017
Ba-Phalaborwa Municipality Hall

25 April 2017
Hoedspruit – Rhino Convention

26 April 2017
Arcornhoek, Miriam Mokgakane Hall

2 May 2017
Hossana Church Hall, Hazyview-Tshabalala

3 May 2017
Nelspruit/Ka-Bokweni, JV Mdluli Confrerence Centre

4 May 2017
Zoe Faith Temples International, Ka-Mhlushwa

Further meetings will also take place in Gauteng, Western Cape and KZN, and the dates and venues will be confirmed.

There will also be interest group consultation meetings, which are scheduled to take place in April, May and June.

Stakeholders can obtain information about the review process, as well as register on the SANParks Website https://www.sanparks.org/conservation/park_man/.

Alternatively, you can contact the Project Manager by sending an e-mail to knpmanagementplan@sanparks.org, or call Dudu Letswele on: 013 735 4102 between Monday and Friday during office hours (07:30-16:00).

AUTHOR
Elize Parker
Environmental Journalist Lowvelder

http://lowvelder.co.za/382722/kruger-wa ... ment-plan/

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I filled in the form on the Sanpaks site, but being foreigner I do not have an ID, but the space must be used, so I put in my passport number and obviously it was not accepted as the whole thing disappeared 0*\

I'll send an e-mail :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, email is miles better, one has proof! :twisted:

Return to “Public Participation - Kruger Management Plan”