SANParks vehicle goes off bridge

Discussions on Vehicle Accidents in the Kruger National Park
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: SANParks vehicle goes off bridge

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote:SP responded to media then today, it seems? \O
What did the say?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I just got them onto it, Lis! Should appear soon!

BC, speed limits remain the same, night or day! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

a bit like Monte Carlo :-? :-0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:
BC, speed limits remain the same, night or day! :-0

I know O/

PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

This is the latest posted about the incident. I am not sure I understand why there would be an investigation into possible negligence in the same media release that they swerved to miss a hippo!

http://africageographic.com/blog/sanpar ... ff-bridge/

nan

Post by nan »

it has to be a very tiny, tiny baby hippo O-/

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

On the 23 May 2014, a SANParks staff member in Kruger was taken to the doctor by another staff member. The duty manager on duty authorised the trip. When the staff members called the camp to inform them that they were still at the Maphuta Hospital, a late permit was arranged and authorised by the Section Ranger.

Unfortunately on their way back into the park accident happened at Letaba Bridge at about 19h00. The cause of the accident was a hippo which they swerved to avoid colliding with and then missed the bridge. There is no cellphone reception at the bridge and they could not notify or contact anyone.

VUSWA fleet services did not have the equipment to remove the vehicle from where it was stranded therefore a company from Nelspruit came to remove the vehicle the following day.

An investigation is currently underway and should it be found the driver was negligent the necessary disciplinary process will be followed.

This is quite an old reply, but seeing as the respondent is listed as an SP spokesperson I suppose one can quote it?

Just to clarify, VUSWA is a private BEE contractor that maintains SP vehicles, many years now. :-)

There involvement is another story! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
dup

Post by dup »

=O: All "these" accidents happen at the speed limit and if there is any alcohol involve it happen after 3 beers. NoteI did not say it is the case with this accident,with reference to the alcohol part.:
...but what I know is that if you drive at night ..and you know there are hippo ..and you approach a bridge...and.. and this is not suppose to happen but on the other hand accidents did happen. -O-

Stop buying frackers products,now !!!
Biyamiti camp-Nov 2017- with family and friends
Duke

Post by Duke »

Richprins wrote:
Just to clarify, VUSWA is a private BEE contractor that maintains SP vehicles, many years now. :-)

There involvement is another story! ;-)
Thier involvement 0*\ can be seen here

@dup, if I got permission for a late entry and if I do not rock up by a certain time then......ah well.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I do not want to be naughty, it is not in my character and you can all witness that ;-) O** =O: BUT the hippo would not be walking on the bridge, or would it? Did the car miss the bridge completely and slide, turning etc for quite a few meters? Maybe that's what happened trying to avoid the hippo -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Vehicle Accidents in Kruger”