SANParks'new head Planning & Environmental Coordination

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Toko

SANParks'new head Planning & Environmental Coordination

Post by Toko »

SANParks man promoted

KNYSNA NEWS - Well-known SANParks Knysna area manager Andre Riley has been appointed as SANParks head of Planning and Environmental Coordination as from April 1.

He will still be situated in Knysna, but he will now also manage the environmental plans of all other parks stretching over six regions which include the Kruger National Park, the Frontier region, the Northern region, the Cape cluster, the arid region and the Garden Route National Park. This is a mammoth task ensuring all objectives of SANParks' management plans are met.

As he said his goodbyes to the team in the Knysna section of the Garden Route National Park (GRNP), general manager Jill Bunding-Venter, who was Riley's direct supervisor, thanked him for his professional conduct and dedication. She wished him well for his future. "We wish him all the best and know he will do well and do us proud."

Before joining the GRNP as Knysna’s area manager, Riley was a senior section ranger in the Tsitsikamma section. He had worked in Tsitsikamma for 18 years.

He joined Knysna when the former DWAF (Department of Water Affairs and Forestry) had amalgamated the forestry section of Knysna (Harkerville and Gouna areas) to form part of the Knysna Protected Area, along with South Africa’s number 1 estuary. His role was to sort out technical aspects and to ensure the legal and contractual frameworks for Knysna were ironed out. Added to this was the transfer of forestry staff which made him accountable for 64 team members.

Now his position will be linked to SANParks' national structure. Riley is armed with a diploma in Conservation, a degree in Anthropology and Geography as well as an advanced professional training qualification in Integrated Coastal Management from a German institution.
Riley says SANParks' vision to connect all members of society, whether poor or rich, is something he is passionate about. "All stakeholders deserve our respect," he says.

"I will still enjoy starting my day at 05:45, serving my beautiful wife coffee in bed and having fun with my 11- and 13-year-old sons. They keep me young at heart."

Riley is replaced by Johan du Klerk who has extensive experience in training. Du Klerk started his career at the old Zuurberg National Park, now part of Addo Elephant National Park. He then moved to Mountain Zebra Park as a section ranger. He later moved to the Karoo National Park, also within the Frontier region, as a senior section ranger, primarily managing biodiversity and conservation.
Du Klerk was raised in Alberton and studied in Pretoria, towards a National Diploma in Nature Conservation, and a degree in Nature Conservation.

He says he is looking forward to working and living in Knysna. "I look forward to be part of the Garden Route management team and maintaining existing good relations with all stakeholders and the broader community of Knysna."

08:30 (GMT+2), Sat, 12 April 2014

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”