CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Post by Richprins »

There is a bit of a fractured relationship between the cycling community and all other road users at times... ;-)

But anyway! 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It has happened here too over weekends, but now there are cycling lanes in most roads \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

*Ref: 9/2/2–19–GKL
Date, Saturday, December 28, 2019

MEDIA RELEASE (CYCLISTUPDATE) 1 of 1

For Immediate Release

SANParks To Engage An Independent Investigator Following A Cyclist Incident at Table Mountain National Park (TMNP)
4:29 AM - 28 Dec 2019

24 Retweets
17 Likes
Tshepo Hlomo
🎱
Erna Moller
Arne
sifumene.
Velvet Hydrangea
Ted Broering
Marenique
ᘔᗩIᗪ Oᗰᗩᖇ ✨

33 replies 24 retweets 17 likes

New conversation
SANParks
‏ @SANParks
17h17 hours ago

SANParks announced in a statement this morning that it is in the process of appointing an independent service provider to conduct a preliminary investigation following an unfortunate incident where a cyclist suffered a broken arm during an arrest by SANParks Rangers on 27 Dec 19.
3 replies 1 retweet 4 likes
SANParks
‏ @SANParks
17h17 hours ago

According to Lize McCourt, Acting CEO of SANParks, management has this morning met with the five Rangers involved in the incident to place them on precautionary suspension pending the finalisation of the investigation.
6 replies 2 retweets 5 likes
SANParks
‏ @SANParks
17h17 hours ago

McCourt expressed regret at the turn of events and assured the public that the organisation is taking the matter seriously… “and will afford Mr Dlamini and his family all the necessary support at this stage.”
4 replies 0 retweets 2 likes
SANParks
‏ @SANParks
17h17 hours ago

The incident took place at the Silvermine Section of TMNP on Friday, 27 Dec 2019 & has since attracted a lot attention on social media platforms with the Minister of Environment, Forest & Fisheries, Barbara Creecy calling for SANParks to ensure that the matter is given priority.
3 replies 0 retweets 4 likes
SANParks
‏ @SANParks
17h17 hours ago

McCourt said SANParks continues to request all eyewitnesses to be in contact with Mr Koketso Kotsoe on 072 333 1990 or email koketso.kotsoe@sanparks.org

Issued by: South African National Parks (SANParks)
Corporate Communications:Tel: 012 426 5170
5 replies 2 retweets 4 likes
SANParks
‏ @SANParks
17h17 hours ago

Media Enquiries: Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli: SANParks Acting Head of Communications. Tel: 012 426 5203; Cell: 073 373 4999; Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Unless Dlamini posed a danger to the park officials (which he didn't) there's absolutely no justification for the way they treated him!! Disgusting abuse of power, which is all too common in this country!! :evil: :evil:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Give a uniform and a badge to a person who is not psychologically prepared or trained sufficiently .......... O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

They say he resisted arrest? -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Not to be excluded, but there were three of them and break an arm... -O- Maybe he should start getting some calcium supplements O**

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

https://www.sport24.co.za/othersport/cy ... obile=true
Writing on his Facebook page, Dlamini issued the following statement:

Many thanks for the huge number of kind messages following recent events. I am overwhelmed by the support offered by everyone at home and around the world, especially from the world of cycling. This has been an extremely upsetting experience and your support means a lot to me.

My first step was to undergo surgery and I am told that this went well, but the surgeon is unable to make a prognosis at this early stage. So, for the moment, I am unable to say when I’ll be back on a bike. My surgeon and the care team will be liaising with the NTT team doctor to establish this. For now, I need to receive expert care and physio at hospital or rest at home until I’m well enough to leave and make a statement to the police. I am not sure yet when this will be, but for now things are a little uncomfortable and I am still coming to terms with what happened.

I will be represented by the international law firm Norton Rose Fulbright following this terrible incident. Norton Rose Fulbright have enormous experience in dealing with contentious issues such as this and are currently dealing with Caster Semenya’s case against the IAAF. Our thanks for the many numerous offers for legal representation from concerned people willing to help me.

Lastly, with the help from my fantastic support team, my manager and the guys at NTT, I will be taking legal advice on net steps from Norton Rose Fulbright, and for this reason I hope you can understand why I cannot give any more detail to anyone at this stage. I look forward to giving you more detail as soon as I can.

Nic

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Easy to imagine that this would be an excellent occasion to try and get some money from someone. There is no unbiased witness, so may the better lawyer win O**

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”