Snares in Kruger

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: A Collective Effort Against Snares in Kruger

Post by Lisbeth »

O-/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Post on FB Enough is Enough :a Group that centralizes snare reports and forwards them to the Majoc official channel :

Lize Roos Bester
Admin · 3 hrs
I'm going to give a summary of snares reported to me during this past week. Seeing that I'm a tad frustrated, I acted on it, but didn't share the details here. Frustrated, because most of them are the same animals with snares reported for the umpteenth time. I've sent the information, new photos, coordinates, everything through to the MAJOC who confirmed that it were all directed to the different Rangers. Here goes and it's not a pretty picture:

03/10/2018 - Hyena with snare around the neck, on the S28 (again)
03/10/2018 - Young elephant bull with snare left hind leg close to Kruger Gate.
04/10/2018 - Again the young elephant bull, now on the S3, near Skukuza
04/10/2018 - Later the same day, same ellie. He was stationary and the person who reported again stayed with him for hours, waiting for help. They left when the ellie moved into the bushes and they couldn't see him any longer, help never arrived.
05/10/2018 - The Charleston male lion with snare around his neck was spotted in the same place as usual on the S3. They never moved off because their are small cubs in the pride. The precise coordinates were sent to the MAJOC again.
05/10/2018 - Elephant calf with snare left hind leg was spotted again at the Punda Maria waterhole. His leg is already very swollen, looks bad.
06/10/2018 - Young elephant bull with snare left hind leg was spotted and reported gain, this time they mentioned the cable trailing behind him. Still on the S3, heading towards Kruger gate.
08/10/2018 - Hyena with snare around neck on the S28 near Croc Bridge, located and reported....again. Direct coordinates supplied to the MAJOC.
09/10/2018 - Same hyena with snare around neck, spotted and reported again, basically the same location as the previous times on the S28.
11/10/2018 - Another hyena with snare around the neck just outside Pretoriuskop on the Voortrekker road (probably and hopefully the same one reported last week, no photo, no idea if it's a new one or recurrent)
11/10/2018 - Zebra with snare around neck, 3,1km from Phabeni gate
11/10/2018 - Elephant with snare around trunk (no photo, but pretty sure it's the bad one reported last week, almost exact location).

Someone told me last night that the lion was rescued, he heard a rumor. Unfortunately I couldn't get confirmation out of anyone.

And one more comment that makes one relies the scale of the problem :
Lize Roos Bester Lize and 1 other manage the membership, moderators, settings, and posts for Enough is Enough. To be honest, I don't know. Maybe some of the willing and able personnel are on leave, I don't know. I think the personnel at MAJOC are just as frustrated, I bothered them a lot lately. Attitude? You have me there. What I do know and 2 different people told me the same- they removed more than 330 snares in an area on a Saturday not long ago and those snares were all back in all their glory the Sunday morning...then you realise you are farting against thunder as someone said. It's hopeless. If something is not done and seriously done asap, I don't know. Someone said that the KNP is the pantry for the surrounding communities- that was a spot on conclusion

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

This is INCREDIBLE!! I bet that he is frustrated and also furious. You try to help and all that you get back are lies or no answers O/ O/

Other than collective effort against snares 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I'm afraid the last sentence sums it up. 0*\

Well done, Lize! 0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So frustrating!! O/ O/

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
3h3 hours ago

06:30
Snared hyena
H1-1, 1km E of the Pretoriuskop turnoff
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Bethany
(This has been reported)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

If something is not done and seriously done asap, I don't know. Someone said that the KNP is the pantry for the surrounding communities- that was a spot on conclusion
Correct and our economy is stuffed now, so more people are battling so this is going to exponentially increase unless something is done and the more we can keep it in the spotlight the more chance something will be done.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Hwange in certain areas is all but shot out ..Feed the army and rampant hunting ..No money in Economy ..I weep for Africa

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
51m51 minutes ago

07:00
1 Buffalo stationary
"With a snare around the leg"
S3, 12.5km W of S4
Near Paul Kruger gate
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Desmo620m

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
11m11 minutes ago

Alert:
09:10
Giraffe with a snare on the front right leg
H1-1, between the S3 and S7
Near Pretoriuskop
"Will report it to Numbi gate"
Tinged by Cal

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”