Staff Villages

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Bushcraft

Staff Villages

Post by Bushcraft »

There have been many reports of noise, parties, etc in the staff villages in Kruger over the years and I have had to phone the duty manager at Skukuza, Satara and Lower Sabie a few times over the last few years. Once while staying at Keartland guest house the noise was hectic, hence I phoned the duty manager and to my surprise I could hear when the phone was answered that the duty manager was attending the same “party”

The situation seems to be getting worse though.
Posted by Bundi

I have stayed at Skukuza on three seperate occasions the past month and must unfortunately say that this will be my last ever. No matter how good the game viewing properties in this area is, I can no longer book to stay in this camp.

The noise coming from the staff village has become unbearable. As I am typing this topic the blaring music and screaming is just too much to stomach. The noise started around 17h00 this afternoon already and I know from experience this will last to at least 03h00 tomorrow morning, because that was the case three weeks ago. In fact during my last visit the noise was overwhelming driving to camp and could be heard from the approach road already and cars revving and screaming went on until about 03h00 in the morning.

I can just imagine what overseas tourists must be thinking and that they have travelled all that way to come and experience this.

I am disappointed to say the least and will not be told that management does not know about this. In my opinion I don't think they have an answer for the problem and has therefore lost control of the situation.
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtop ... 41&t=96464

And we all know what happens to the above type compliant and the below is an example of how most people feel about it

Posted by Koen

Im only two days away from arriving in the Kruger and I suddenly read some very disturbing reports of management failure in the Park. Extreme noise and disrespect for the the ethics of the park from Staff, plus dirty uncleaned rooms and problems with facilities.

Why do these threads get locked!!! This is completely insane like some kind of wacky censorship. Visitors need to hear about these problems and other people need to discuss the issues from first hand experience. Locking a thread is counter productive and ridiculous, surely?

Does anyone know if the staff noise partying and vehicle traffic all night situation in Skakusa has been resolved??! It sounds deplorable to say the least. I find it worrying enough that you see strange cars coming and going after dark, cars with no indication they belong to Sanpark staff or not, but this sounds truly disturbing! Like things are completely unraveling!!!?

I would've expected an update at the very least....from anyone but primarily from Sanparks themselves. Keeping up the ethics and conservation spirit of the Kruger national park for visitors but primarily for the wildlife is vitaly important. This kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated, anytime
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtop ... 41&t=96475

I believe from my limited time of around 30 days in Kruger per year, that there's a lack of control and have numerous examples, but what's the general opinion -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Staff Villages

Post by Richprins »

This is disturbing, BC! Not just the instances and lawlessness, but the response on those links. SANParks have issued strict instructions not to allow negative comments on their mouthpiece forum, as it is a massive PR and advertising tool. I pity the good mods there, but in some instances in the past their forum promised to get responses?! :-(

The emperor's new clothes are going to have to show soon, as lawlessness is being reflected in the brazen poaching by authorities in the Park, speeding official vehicles, rude staff sometimes, and this nonsense, which is going to increase over the festive season! :evil:

There is also a political element creeping into staff attitudes in places, IMO. Kruger is not magically isolated from the rest of the country in this regard.

Once again, SP must be careful of a tourist backlash at some stage. O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Have forwarded! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Cultural differences? or the usual lack of control and respect for the rules and other people O/

Deplorable!!!!!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”