Historic TEBA Pafuri Camp taken over by Sanparks

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Historic TEBA Pafuri Camp taken over by Sanparks

Post by Richprins »

Fri Jan 27, 2012

Yesterday staff at the historic old Mockford WNLA complex at Pafuri were given two months' notice to leave the premises after an out-of-court settlement was reached between TEBA, the owners, and Sanparks for the sale of the property for an undisclosed amount.

The site was originally developed as long ago as 1919, and upgraded in 1938 to become a world-famous landmark which should currently qualify as a National Historical Heritage Site.

Sanparks has remained mum about this takeover, although a court case to force TEBA to accept their original offer was mooted in 2010 already.

Officially, the site will be used to replace the research station washed away during the 2000 floods.

Unoficially, though, the site is regarded as poorly placed and inadequate. Rumours at Pafuri suggest some sort of tourism development, but it is also poorly positioned for that, overlooking the Border Post itself!

TEBA has been regarded as a symbol of colonial oppression by the "new" Sanparks, as it was a transit camp for Mozambiquan labourers on their way to the Witwatersrand until 1976.

TEBA has been a haven for birdwatchers, eco-tourists, honorary ranger groups and educational groups for many years.

More info later.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Historic TEBA Pafuri Camp taken over by Sanparks

Post by Lisbeth »

norms wrote:Very sad news indeed!!

I was contacted by TEBA management and told that my booking for February 2012 has been cancelled and a full refund would be given.

TEBA Pafuri was an absolutely magic spot perfect for birding. I am sure going to miss this little piece of paradise!
Lisbeth wrote:More info will be very welcome in order to understand, what is really happening at Pafuri \O
Richprins wrote:A major problem is that tourists book a year in advance , obviously, for other camps, with TEBA filling in a gap in their itinerary! Surely a year's notice could have been given?

TEBA's instructions were scant, but included "take bookings while you can, if you want to".... :shock:
norms wrote:RP - Agreed!!

This new development has messed up my Kruger bookings for next month. A notice period should have been given.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Just for posterity, these are the old buildings in their current state:

The big house is around 75 years old AFTER renovation, and in pristine condition...a true piece of Africana! :twisted:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Lisbeth wrote:RP, your above post will be kept with utmost care \O What a lovely place 8-) ( :? )
iNdlovu wrote:Could this be another site for one of Mabunda's guest houses/hotels/recreation resorts.
?
Richprins wrote:A 2008 satelite pic, showing how useless the spot is for anything besides historical value, really!

Big border post with generators running constantly nearby.

Richprins wrote:After the Makuleke concession was settled around 2000, the Pafuri ranger's post was very conveniently relocated to TEBA, using some of the outbuildings and one of the main buildings for the ranger, with the gracious permission of TEBA, at no cost. Small but unauthorised "renovations" were carried out in those quarters, ad hoc, damaging the very old structure there...but very limited. Then there was no problem regarding the "Imperialist" past of TEBA.

Around 2009 the new and rather luxurious IMO, (including chimneys :shock: ), ranger's post was built a little South of TEBA, at a cost of around R5 000 000, including new staff quarters. This remains the ultimate ranger station to date in the entire country, IMO!

But that is besides the point, I suppose, other than to illustrate that money does not seem to be a problem in the area.

My point is that the Historical Monuments Commission should declare TEBA a national heritage site immediately, so that it may be experienced for the next century. The amount of history, which is well-presented to visitors there, and known to many avid conservationists, must not be allowed to disappear!

Here is a link as to why the process has been taking place....but it's a long read! :wink:

http://wiredspace.wits.ac.za/bitstream/ ... sequence=2

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote:It is a bit more tricky to get the "brochures" etc on the internet now, but you can google it and WNLA and get an overview.

In essence, TEBA Pafuri was one of a number of staging posts for the Witwatersrand Native Labour Association, who were contracted to import foreign workeres for the Gold mines, before the existence of Northern Kruger.

After proclamation, TEBA kept the property independently of Sanparks, although nobody now seems to know what the exact agreement was.

Anyway, the historic site has been self-maintaining, and not really profit-oriented, with funds coming from guests who visit the camp (Maximum 14 people)

Advertising is limited and mostly by word of mouth, and you enter the Park with a permission letter, much like with the concessions.

The previous bigwigs at TEBA were much more conservation-oriented, and refused to give the site away.

Apparently the current CEO sees no need for the existence of the place, as it is not a money spinner, so they have decided to sell for a profit. The process has been dragging along for a suspicious length of time, and many questions remain unanswered.

My biggest question is where Sanparks, who are so cash-strapped, have found the resources to fight a legal battle and ultimately pay a sizeable amount for a "worthless" piece of property?
serval wrote:The thread is now locked on SP forum .

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopi ... 73&t=59100

Why would they want proof of the source of the info - it is old news ... What can be the reason for the secrecy concerning this ?
Lisbeth wrote:It does seem that secrecy is the rule and trasparency the exception :evil:
Flutterby wrote:
Richprins wrote:TEBA has been regarded as a symbol of colonial oppression by the "new" Sanparks, as it was a transit camp for Mozambiquan labourers on their way to the Witwatersrand until 1976.
I would think this is why it WOULD be preserved. :?
iNdlovu wrote:I have read the document that RP provided in the link, it makes hugely interesting reading. Herewith my thoughts on the situation, so much depends on what Sanparks' ideas are for the site.

Apparently there was an agreement that once the mine's labour recruitment carried out by TEBA came to an end, the site would revert back to Sanparks, however no written record of the agreement can be found, hence, I assume, the protracted court case.
It looks like SanParks settled out of court by paying some cash for the site which makes TEBA & SanParks happy campers....HOWEVER.......
The company (TEBA) has a soft spot in the hearts of the Maluleke people because of employment opportunities, medical help and social up liftment that TEBA provided in the past and their natural mistrust of SanPark caused by the conditions of their land claim settlement has them feeling very upset now that SanParks is taking over the site for what is supposed to be a Ranger station.
The way I see it is this. If SanParks utilizes the site for a Ranger station they are flying directly against their reported concern for the communities around the parks borders. If they are going to uphold their reported mission of providing economic upliftment to the communities, they have no option but to develope it into a commercial site for the benefit of the Maluleke people.

This will be a real test case as to the integrity of Mabunda's mission statement.
Richprins wrote:Hey, Serval! Can you put up some quotes from the yellow side here?

Not all of us can see there! :twisted:

Tony, it will not be for a ranger's post...the new state-of-the-art ranger's post was built a couple of years ago a little South of TEBA.

I really don't see any use for TEBA by Sanparks...there is not even permanent electricity...a Sanparks/border post generator supplies power for part of the day, while the border post often makes a racket for most of the night party-wise...

The buildings are old, and while ideal for visitors, totally unsuitable for a research station.

The site requires intensive daily maintenance re. watering the stunning vegetation etc., which the private managers and staff have done a stirling job in doing! \O
iNdlovu wrote:I hear what you say RP. By the sounds of it though, the Maluleke people are extremely unhappy that SanParks have taken it over. They really see SP as the bad guys because of the restrictions placed on them in their land claim. So if SanParks takes away that little outpost there is going to be one hell of a row. Under the circumstances I see no option but for SP to do something with it that will benefit the Maluleke people = something commercial.
Obviously this is speculation on my part, but it makes sense. Maybe they'll just upgrade it to be able to hold more people and then use it for the people who need a place to stay inside the park in order to get through the Pafuri border. -O-
Richprins wrote:iNdy, I cannot comment on what the Makulekes think, and I don't know if the site has anything to do with them.

Sprocks, the site is entirely unsuitable as a tourist camp, for reasons mentioned earlier.

The proposed rustic camp site for Sanparks is way west along the Luvhuvhu Gorge, if memory serves!

:wink:
iNdlovu wrote:Officially the site has nothing to do with them, but they see it as a part of their heritage before they were forcibly removed by the apartheid government. The labour transfer camp gave quite a few of them employment and they used the doctors there for medical ailments, in fact they see TEBA in general as a great company.
SanParks on the other hand gave them their land back with the many restrictions such as they were not allowed to re-settle the land, nor fish the river, gather herbs and plants etc all under the co-management of SP, so they have an intense disliking of SP.
Richprins wrote:
iNdlovu wrote: SanParks on the other hand gave them their land back with the many restrictions such as they were not allowed to re-settle the land, nor fish the river, gather herbs and plants etc all under the co-management of SP, so they have an intense disliking of SP.
Thank heavens for that! They do get a lot of money in return, though....but how much eventually gets to the lowly tribesmen themselves via the chiefs is another story, and off-topic! :twisted:
Richprins wrote:From the GENERAL PROTECTIONS clause of the South African Heritage Resources Agency, (SAHRA), which replaced the old National Monuments Council (NMC):

In areas where there has not yet been a systematic survey to identify conservation-worthy places, a permit is required to alter or demolish any structure older than 60 years. This will apply until a survey has been done and identified heritage resources are formally protected.

Link: http://www.sahra.org.za/intro.htm
Richprins wrote:The most generally accepted theory re. the proposed use of TEBA, is for it to become a birder-specific Camp, for Frank Mabasa, the internationally famous attendant at Pafuri Picnic Spot to facilitate and reach his true potential, finally!

I think that would be fine! (And he would too :wink: )

But the preservation of the historic buildings and Africana is non-negotiable! :evil:
Lisbeth wrote:Are there any facts behind this "theory"? It would be great \O
Richprins wrote:Well, the people mentioned are understandably reluctant at the moment....so let's see? :cry:

All waiting for a Sanparks media release! \O
Richprins wrote:Email response from sanparks spokesperson today:

A settlement agreement for the takeover of the above mentioned site by SANParks has not yet been reached and it therefore currently remains in a legal process.

Plans for this site have not been finalised and no decision has yet been made on what the site will be utilised for.

This does not make sense, as why would "planning" not be taking place if there was an acquisition process going on?

At least it is admitted acquisition is the goal.

In fact, Graham Herbert, current MD of TEBA after being CEO under James Mohlatsi, ex-owner, has reached an out of court settlement with Dr Mabunda himself. And that is the truth!
Lisbeth wrote:What kind of agreement?

Uptil now it seemed that the pass over had been done. Sanparks had bought it!??? O/ O/
Richprins wrote:Yes, it's nonsense!

The details are all one needs now! :roll:

And it's definitely no longer sub judice, hence the more detailed info! \O
Richprins wrote:Yes, it's nonsense!

The details are all one needs now! :roll:

And it's definitely no longer sub judice, hence the more detailed info! \O
Flutterby wrote:
Sprocky wrote:they just don't want to make it public knowledge yet
Which seems to imply that it's something we're not going to like!! :roll:
iNdlovu wrote:And if settlement has not been reached, why are bookings being cancelled. Your concern over the buildings etc are fully warranted RP. SP management are totally untrustworthy in my opinion.
How many times have they just gone ahead and done things on the quiet, only to be caught out later and often when it's too late to save the destruction..... coal mines, logging, almost hotels, deproclaiming park land etc.
Just a thought....maybe Mabunda doesn't have the parliamentary go ahead to purchase this land yet and the Chapman's Peak debacle has pulled his horns in a bit. In this regard, just maybe he's found out that he is not a law unto himself. It's just very strange that TEBA says the deal's done, but SanParks say it is still in legal process. Liars, and based on passed experience I have no doubt who it is. Of course this is all conjecture and my personal opinion.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Here's a reply given to the SA Heritage Council by Sanparks.

Thank you very much for allowing us the opportunity to look into
allegations reported to SAHRA around the issue of TEBA Pafuri heritage
site.

We hereby confirm that SANParks is in discussions with the current
custodians of the site regarding the future operation and management of
the site.

Accordingly we would like to assure you that SANParks has a strict
policy and guidelines regarding management, maintenance, development
(including change of use) which compels all our officials to comply with
the National Heritage Resources Act (NHRA)when making decisions that
will potentially affect heritage sites.

It is unfortunate that a complaint has been lodged with your office
based on anticipated transgressions on the part of SANParks without any
basis. At this stage there is no work taking place on site and if such a
need arise, SANParks policies (which are based on the NHRA) will be
fully complied with

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Excellent, at least they know they're being watched. However from what I understand they have changed the old house (or at least its contents) when the ranger moved in there.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to Gareth Morgan a member of the parliamentary standing committee:

Hi Gareth,
I thought I'd bring the following to your attention so that you are aware of a few concerns in regards to the above.

Ownership at the old TEBA camp at Pafuri has reverted to SanParks. TEBA being the company that was involved in labour recruitment for the mines and the site was used to accommodate workers whilst documentation and transport issues were sorted out. It also became much loved by the Maluleke people as a place of employment and medical care. Apparently after a long drawn out court action, SanParks have made an agreement out of court and they now own the site. The Maluleke people are not happy about this as they have a huge mistrust of SanParks due to the conditions of their land claim settlement.
The other major concern is that the site is under review as a National Heritage site and SanParks may very well make some changes to the site 'on the quiet' to suit their commercialization aspirations.
Please could you raise a few questions on what their intentions are for the place and in that way the site can be saved from any alterations or additions.

Regards,

Tony Page
Africa Wild Forum

Here is his reply, received this morning

Dear Tony
Thanks for your mail.
the issue is being published as parliamentary question for written reply by the Minister this Friday
regards
Gareth Morgan

Again we will keep the pressure on.
Make no mistake, I have no objection to SP buying the site, but am concerned that they make changes to it in their rush for commercialization.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote:Ja, they broke a wall/part of a wall down in one of the outbuildings where the current ranger used to stay temporarily after losing her ranger's post once the Makulekes took over North of the river.
Mel wrote:Just a question as I can't find it on the SP forums anymore.
iNdlovu's post there was locked because he didn't give
a link to the source of this issue. Do I remember correctly
that back then, which wasn't too long ago, there was denial
about what has now been confirmed as of RPs post? Or am I
getting something wrong here?

iNdlovu - great stuff! \O Curious to see what is being published!
iNdlovu wrote:Correct Mel the thread was locked and I was banned once again. As far as I know there has been absolutely no response on the issue from SP
Lisbeth wrote:From SPF 21.02.2012:

Joep Stevens wrote:Dear All,

A perspective from my side on the TEBA Pafuri site:

1. After a long and protracted process the TEBA Pafuri site will fall under SANParks management from 1 April 2012.
2. SANParks acknowledges the historic and heritage value and it's related responsibilities relating to the facilities, especially the Mockford residence.
3. SANParks has not decided finally how the facilities will be utilized, but acknowledges that access to the public, in whatever way, is important.
4. The planning of the TEBA Pafuri site will be done within the bigger developmental needs in the area, for example the need to a tourist crossing point or gate at Pafuri.
5. Until the future plan for the TEBA Pafuri site has been completed, no bookings for guests will be taken.

I hope and trust that this clarifies some of the speculation doing the rounds even before the matter was finally settled between SANParks & TEBA.

JOEP STEVENS
General Manager: Tourism Operations (Sanparks)
iNdlovu wrote:No Mr Stevens, not before the matter was finnalised, but certainly before SanParks came clean. I venture to suggest (I may be wrong) that had this issue not been brought out in the public's eye, Sanparks may (true to form) kept it all hush whilst deciding to utilise the place to further their commercialization program. Even Mr Stevens alludes to the fact that it could be used in conjunction with the border crossing at Pafuri.
Could this mean a cheap "Formula 1" type of overnight joint for border crossing people?
Richprins wrote:The one good thing is the mention of "bookings", which would suggest that the site should stay intact, at least?

This most certainly won't end speculation, and you are dead right that public attention has and will now play a role, iNdy! \O

Hopefully the "birding camp" run by Frank Mabasa (No relation to William), will be the end result! :?
Lisbeth wrote:RP, you are such an optimist, that it is a pleasure to believe you.....I wish :wink:
Richprins wrote:Just to confirm, TEBA indeed vacated the premises at the end of March.
iNdlovu wrote:I have an email from Gareth Morgan with the minister of environmental affairs answers to questions we posed on this issue, but it's archived on my work computer so will post tomorrow (I hope). The gist is that she categorically states that the site will remain as is with no future plans for commercialization. Let's wait and see :evil:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Recent information...well from last month...suggests the camp is standing dormant and is definitely earmarked for continued accommodation in the future! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”