Elephant attack on vehicle

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
PRWIN

Re: alleged elephant attack on vehicle

Post by PRWIN »

I wasn’t used to the car. The gears were on a different side. We kept trickling forwards. Jans said: “What are you doing?”
Don't they drive the same side as us, or are the gears on the side of the door in Britain :shock: ^0^ ^0^ O/ 0- 0- Volkswagens are made in SA so I doubt it was imported from Germany.

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
mikef

Post by mikef »

PRWIN wrote:
I wasn’t used to the car. The gears were on a different side. We kept trickling forwards. Jans said: “What are you doing?”
Don't they drive the same side as us, or are the gears on the side of the door in Britain :shock: ^0^ ^0^ O/ 0- 0- Volkswagens are made in SA so I doubt it was imported from Germany.
I doubt she was referring to which side of the steering wheel the gears are placed - more likely the position of reverse on the shifting pattern.

Also although in the video it does appear that she was following the elephant too closely this could be very misleading - depending on the camera setting as longer focal lengths bring the background much closer to the subject than in reality.

All I can say I am glad it was not me in their position. 0- -O-

nan

Post by nan »

mikef wrote: I doubt she was referring to which side of the steering wheel the gears are placed - more likely the position of reverse on the shifting pattern.
yes, could be -O-

welcome to the forum mikef O0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
mikef

Post by mikef »

nan wrote:
mikef wrote: I doubt she was referring to which side of the steering wheel the gears are placed - more likely the position of reverse on the shifting pattern.
yes, could be -O-

welcome to the forum mikef O0
Thanks - time has really flown - I can't believe it has been nearly a year since I last posted 0/*

okie

Post by okie »

The cars in England are exactly the same as in South Africa , and the gears are therefore also exactly the same O/ .

This little lady was totally confused and now trying to make herself coming out as being a heroine .
And according to her the ellie had 6ft long tusks :shock:

Hmmmmmmm 0- Doesn't say much for her qualities as a science teacher 0*\

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

Image Image

maybe he thinks of these 2 sorts :-?

okie

Post by okie »

That could be so , yes . Differs from model to model \O

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The vehicle had lots of time to reverse, no matter, especially as she says there was more time before the video begins. Whatever...if they had found "reverse" between them, the reverse light would go on at the back of the vehicle.... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

right... only red lamps

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

I have sympathy with them and just glad I haven't experienced such a terrible accident, but the story around not be able to move either away forward or backwards seems strange.

It took a few minutes to decide to move off, but on the last second Jans got the car in reverse. Under normal circumstances its very difficult to get a Volkswagen in reverse from the passenger side as you need to push slightly pass the 1st gear while pushing in the button. A bit of a nick to get it in although reverse easier than 1st gear. I am starting to think this was an automatic car and in panic moved the gears slightly too far up or down. Can't proof any thing, but either way auto/manual why didn't he get it into reverse the 1ste time when she struggled.

During my last Kruger visit I thought we were going to experience the same fate as them, but the actions I took was totally different. About 50 - 80 m from an elie in the road I stopped to see if it is relax and if we can pass. The next moment it came storming towards us with the head moving form side to side. Their elie was actually peaceful compare to the one I had to negotiate with. My first thought was not a 2/3 point turn. That would have taken way too much time and only option was reverse flat out with my eyes on the mirror and SO watching the elie. Only when we started getting more speed than the elephant and distance could I attempt a safe 2 point turn. (this was my best performance ever in reverse :-0 :-0 :-0 )

Not sure how she thought that she could do that turn in less time when the elephant was right next to their car. :-? :-?

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”