Post by nan »

O-/

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Illegal night time kudu hunt

Post by Lisbeth »

Bloemfontein – An allegedly illegal night-time kudu hunt almost ended in disaster when one of the hunters fell off the back of a bakkie after having a heart attack.He was holding his rifle at the time and shot was discharged after Kobus Willemse, 64, an assistant director in the department of environmental affairs, hit the ground.

The bullet flew right between the two people sitting in front of the vehicle, hitting the dashboard of the Land Cruiser, Netwerk24 reported.

One of them, Tshepo Moremi, is deputy director general of the Free State department of environmental affairs and the other, the head of the department's legal section, TJ Phalo.

They had apparently signed out the vehicle and the driver for the hunting expedition.

Shrapnel, which had bounced off the bakkie, is believed to have hit Willemse in the leg.

Friends of Willemse said the fact that he fell off the bakkie probably saved his life, because his heart started beating again after going into cardiac arrest.

Legality of hunt questioned

Willemse declined to comment.

"I am still at home after being discharged from hospital and will only be back at work next week. As soon as my superior at work gives the okay for me to talk to you, I will do so."

An informed source has said the big question is whether or not the hunt was legal.

According to the hunting season proclamation, kudu may not be hunted at night. Additionally, kudu can only be hunted in areas where fencing certificates have been issued.

Soetdoring doesn't have a valid fencing certificate.

Another question was whether the MEC for economic and small business development, tourism and environmental affairs, Benny Malakoane, had approved the hunt.

Asked for comment, Malakoane said he had just returned from China on Wednesday and had no knowledge of the incident.

"I am also off sick and at home. I will only be able to investigate on Monday."

Sources have suggested it was impossible for Malakoane to know nothing about an incident which took place more than a week ago.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Illegal night time kudu hunt

Post by Lisbeth »

Setting a good example 0*\ :evil:

All sick and at home O** :O^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Hunting”