Rhino Hunting

Information and Discussions on Hunting
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Timbavati Rhino Challenge

Post by Lisbeth »

Image Tim Jackson

Over the past couple of weeks the 57-year-old Timbavati Private Nature Reserve has fuelled the always volatile ‘hunting debate’ by deciding to conduct rhino hunts on its property. Africa Geographic founder Peter Borchert throws out a challenge.

Timbavati is part of the Associated Private Nature Reserves (APNR) that include concessions offering clients both wildlife viewing/photographic safaris and hunting safaris. The fences that once separated the properties on the APNR reserves and from the western boundary of the Kruger National Park have been long gone, allowing game including lions, cheetahs, rhinos and elephants to move without hinder through the greater region. I guess this raises the question of who actually owns the game, but that is another question.

Quickly, as things do, the Timbavati situation has once again brought the highly polarised rights and wrongs of trophy hunting to the fore. And, as such things also tend to foster, there is a great deal of self-righteous huffing and puffing from both sides.

The ‘pro’ faction claims the voice of reason, the high ground of ‘economic sustainability’, the ‘scientific proof’ that the selective hunting of a few carefully targeted individuals presents no threat to the species, the return on investment of hunting safaris versus photographic safaris, and the ‘inescapable fact’ that it is only through trade and the commoditisation of wildlife that conservation can be suitably funded and vulnerable species properly protected.

Aside from the ‘moral reprehensibility’ of trophy hunting, many in the ‘anti’ camp would argue with reasonable justification that the hunting fraternity and conservation officialdom in South Africa is rife with corruption and alive with opportunities for laundering trophies into the global illegal trade for products such and horn and ivory. There are more than enough specifics to bear this out and to support a contention that within an industry so infected with nefarious practice, the hunting of species such as rhino is just not on.

And so views, and often insults as well, are traded back and forth, sometimes with some good thoughts around compromise, but not very often.

Where do I stand? Well I do not like trophy hunting. In fact I believe that it is a wholly inappropriate activity for our time. And I just don’t get the psyche of people who regard it as ‘sport’ to kill a beautiful wild animal in order to display its horns, tusks or other attributes of size or rarity on a wall. But with that out of the way, I do recognise that hunting is big business with a very powerful lobby and that, in some extensive areas where land may be marginal in respect of operating photographic safaris, hunting – even trophy hunting – may well be the only reasonable revenue-earning opportunity for the landowner.

The chairperson of Timbavati, Tom Hancock, has set out in an open letter the view of the game reserve’s board and its justification for allowing hunting. I suggest that you read it.

Timbavati is a designated buffer zone of the Kruger National Park and as such trophy hunting is one of the activities permitted. But is legal entitlement always morally right? Instead of going down that rabbit hole I would like to offer a simple challenge based on economics and the management of business risk.

Some of South Africa’s best known safari lodges lie within Timbavati , all of which with great justification claim unbeatable close-up wildlife experiences in an area that opens uninterrupted into the vastness of the Kruger Park. How would the thousands of people who come from all over the world for these experiences react to the knowledge that hunting is also permitted in their piece of paradise?

Are these top lodges, indeed the whole APNR, up to the transparency of stating upfront and clearly on their websites, brochures and other marketing material, as well as explaining to guests, that they are part of an organisation that supports trophy hunting? Are they prepared for any backlash that might ensue? Are they sanguine about possibly compromising the millions of dollars of photographic-safari revenue derived from their very fine lodges for the several hundred thousands of revenue from a couple of trophy hunts?

And how would the million or so annual visitors to the Kruger Park react if they knew that the rhinos and other animals they have seen could theoretically move a few kilometres and end up in the sights of a hunter. After all the APNR and Kruger are all elements of the same uninterrupted ecosystem. Same rhinos, same ellies, same everything…

http://blog.africageographic.com/africa ... challenge/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Duke

Re: Timbavati Rhino Challenge

Post by Duke »

And how would the million or so annual visitors to the Kruger Park react if they knew that the rhinos and other animals they have seen could theoretically move a few kilometres and end up in the sights of a hunter. After all the APNR and Kruger are all elements of the same uninterrupted ecosystem. Same rhinos, same ellies, same everything…
Cannot talk for the million but this is one reason I stopped donating to SANP

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

How does SANp connect with hunting, Duke? :-? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

This has been a beeg debatte in Feb 2013 with petition and all

Private game reserve under fire

Thomas Hancock,TPNR Chairman Statement

Duke

Post by Duke »

See this document RP

I askes many questions on SP Forum and was requested to put my questions formally and explain what I would do with information. Below my formal request. To date have not had an answer
29 April 2013
Dear Mr. Thakhuli,
As per your request I hereby write to you officially. Kindly pass this on to the SANParks Members of the Executive Committee to apply to the Board for permission. Please note:
1. My reasons for asking the questions are because I am a concerned South African and fear that our rhinos are in danger of heading for extinction.
2. The information will go a long way in stopping speculation. I would suggest SANParks post the information on the forum and there will therefore be no need for me to do anything further with the information.

Question 1
Claims were made about the scientific basis of removal of rhinos from Kruger and at the moment the information I have is conflicting between what Dr. Mabunda said and what Dr. Magome said. I am therefore seeking clarification on this. I quote, “, Dr Hector Magome, admitted during an interview on radio station SAFM that there was no scientific justification for their removal.” I quote again, “Dr Mabunda said that the decisions on off-take quotas of wildlife are scientifically determined, based on population growth, sex and age structure, spatial use, natural dispersal, resource distribution and population dynamics. He added that the present removal rate has no detectable consequences on population growth. Both these quotes taken from the Animal Rights Africa document –
http://www.oscap.co.za/wpcontent/upload ... a2009_.pdf

• what criteria are used to select the number, age, sex and location of white rhino for management removals in KNP?
• why are management removals still taking place when according to their own ecologists, poaching losses have already overtaken the number of animals required to be removed by management? See link below
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0045989

Question 2
We are told that money generated from sale of rhino is used for conservation so I think it is a fair question to ask how much of this money went into anti-rhino poaching activities. We hear General Jooste saying he does not have enough men to reduce poaching and we don’t seem to be making any headway on the problem. Why are these issues not addressed? Dr. Mabunda himself is on record with:
• Mr Mabunda said that there were internal threats as well. They were not all with SANParks. There were wolves dressed in sheepskin. Some game rangers and other officials were involved in illegal activities. This was widespread. Conditions of service had been changed despite resistance from the unions. Integrity tests had been conducted. One area on the Mozambique border had experienced losses of over thirty rhino annually. After changing management, this had stopped altogether.

There were a limited number of South African Police Service (SAPS) and South African National Defence Force (SANDF) personnel to police the border. When there had been an onslaught on elephants in the 1992, there had been six companies of SANDF troops deployed, but now there was less than half a company. DEA deployed 450 game rangers, and outnumbered SAPS and SANDF members. More people were needed to monitor the boundary.

The Chairperson asked about the fence. Quotes taken from meeting held on 20 march 2013 by Parliamentary Monitoring group, see link below

http://www.pmg.org.za/report/20130320-u ... endangered

• The fence is also recommended by the board and yet no progress on this but we keep losing 1.6 rhinos everyday in Kruger

Question 3
A claim was made that the death of ten rhinos sold to John Hume would be investigated so again I do not see why the investigation report cannot be made public. It is also my understanding that black rhino were hunted on the farm owned by John Hume so I would like to know how many black rhino were sold to John Hume. This is again taken from the ARA document linked in question 1.

Question 4
It is important to know what the rhino population of Kruger is. Claims are made about 8000 to 10000. Is it true that the census was not completed last year due to mechanical problems with the helicopter? A correct figure will go a long way in determining how serious the poaching problem is.

Yours sincerely
Mohammed Jinnah

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks for all that, Duke! Very interesting!

They are still selling rhino from Skukuza Bomas, but I don't think black rhino.

White rhinoceros (rhinos) is a keystone conservation species and also provides revenue for protection agencies. Restoring or mimicking the outcomes of impeded ecological processes allows reconciliation of biodiversity and financial objectives. We evaluate the consequences of white rhino management removal, and in recent times, poaching, on population persistence, regional conservation outcomes and opportunities for revenue generation. In Kruger National Park, white rhinos increased from 1998 to 2008. Since then the population may vary non-directionally. In 2010, we estimated 10,621 (95% CI: 8,767–12,682) white rhinos using three different population estimation methods. The desired management effect of a varying population was detectable after 2008. Age and sex structures in sink areas (focal rhino capture areas) were different from elsewhere. This comes from relatively more sub-adults being removed by managers than what the standing age distribution defined. Poachers in turn focused on more adults in 2011. Although the effect of poaching was not detectable at the population level given the confidence intervals of estimates, managers accommodated expected poaching annually and adapted management removals. The present poaching trend predicts that 432 white rhinos may be poached in Kruger during 2012. The white rhino management model mimicking outcomes of impeded ecological processes predicts 397 rhino management removals are required. At present poachers may be doing “management removals,” but conservationists have no opportunity left to contribute to regional rhino conservation strategies or generate revenue through white rhino sales. In addition, continued trends in poaching predict detectable white rhino declines in Kruger National Park by 2016. Our results suggest that conservationists need innovative approaches that reduce financial incentives to curb the threats that poaching poses to several conservation values of natural resources such as white rhinos.

The above from Dr Ferreira is an absolute load of bull, IMO, as one cannot say poachers are "doing management removals"! 0-

But that aside, I think under this topic you indicate the the problem of Kruger rhino wandering off into Western farms and getting hunted, and Kruger rhino getting sold to unscrupulous farmers?

I disagree!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Toko wrote:This has been a beeg debatte in Feb 2013 with petition and all

Private game reserve under fire

Thomas Hancock,TPNR Chairman Statement
Sorry, I was away in February, so I have not seen it :o0ps: and it was dated today 0-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Toko

Post by Toko »

Still an issue, Lis O-/

Duke

Post by Duke »

Richprins wrote:T
The above from Dr Ferreira is an absolute load of bull, IMO, as one cannot say poachers are "doing management removals"! 0-
But we agree on this :-)

nan

Post by nan »

I can't read all that... sorry :o0ps:

but, I'm sure I can't support the second photo O/ O/ O/

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Hunting”