Three New Lodges in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park Announced

Information and Discussion on Development Plans for Kgalagadi
Toko

Re: EIA for the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Post by Toko »

These lodge concessions are from 2007 :shock: : Tender awards Botswana
Ministry of Environment Wildlife and Tourism

Tender No: PR 18/4/1/7-1
Tender Title: Department of Wildlife and National Parks recommendation to open financial proposals for the Construction and management of tourism consession areas in the Kgalagadi Transfontier Park in favour of the following;

1. Tashebube (Pty) Ltd for Rooiputs, Marie se Draai, Polentswa and Union�s End Lodge Concession

2. Hollyhock (Pty) Ltd for Mabuasehube and Marie se Draai.

Board Decision: Approved
Submission Date: 26.10.2007

EIA's have been conducted by SGI

Environmental Impact Assessment, Lodge Construction, Marie se Draai, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Holly Hock Pty. Ltd (2009)
Environmental Impact Assessment, Lodge Construction, Nossob, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Holly Hock Pty. Ltd. (2008)
Environmental Impact Assessment, Lodge construction, Mabuasehube, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Holly Hock Pty. Ltd.(2008)

Toko

Three New Lodges in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park Announced

Post by Toko »

Ta Shebube will be opening its three desert camps
During the course of 2013 Ta Shebube will be opening its three desert camps - Rooiputs, Polentswa and Union’s End, all strategically situated along the predator-rich Nossob River Valley on the Botswana side of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Rooiputs, located 25 km north of Twee Rivieren, will comprise of 11 luxury thatched chalets constructed out of a clever mix of wood, canvas and glass with furnishings reflecting the rich ethnic textures of Africa and the desert. Whereas Polentswa and Union’s End, located 190 km north, will be classic tented camps capturing the romance of this nostalgic bygone era (9 and 6 tents respectively). Honeymoon and family units, bush spa, lapa, boma, library, swimming pool and bird hide will be additional features at selected camps.

All camps can be accessed by road and there are daily flights from Cape Town and Johannesburg into Upington. The Twee Rivieren airstrip is a 50 minute charter from Upington.

Construction started on 10 September with the first camp, Rooiputs, scheduled to open in early 2013.

The Kgalagadi is characterised by the red rolling sand dunes, dune bushveld, the fossil river environment of the Nossob and Auob River valleys and vast open Acacia savannas. Predators are the area’s big attraction and include the black maned Kgalagadi lion, leopard, brown and spotted hyena, jackal and wildcat and is one of Africa’s best parks for the cheetah, which thrive by hunting in its fossil river valleys and the surrounding dunes. The dry river beds show predators and antelopes off at a premium and provide excellent photographic opportunities. Eighty well established water holes along the Auob and Nossob Rivers attract large numbers of desert plains game and predators and their proximity to the game drive roads make them an ideal close-up vantage point for photographers.

For further information please either contact Ta Shebube on info@tashebube.com or their marketing representative Martina Warwick on info@safari-agency.com .
:evil: Now it's official: Not only at Rooiputs, three lodges are built

Peter Betts

Re: Three New Lodges in KTP Announced

Post by Peter Betts »

Are these to replace the campsites at Rooiputs and Polentswa...??Where it is great to camp in the wild??

Toko

Post by Toko »

No it's additional.

Toko

Post by Toko »

O\/ O\/ O\/ Hey Greenies, let's book now and expierience the beauty of the remote Kgalagadi O/\ O/\ O/\

Rooiputs Lodge
Opening April 2013
May - Aug 2013: 465 US$ pppn sharing, 560 US$ single
Sept - Dec 2013: 355 US$ pppn sharing, 450 US$ single
Jan - Apr 2014: 300 US$ pppn sharing, 395 US$ single
Honeymoon chalet: supplement of 50 US$

Polentswa Lodge
Opening Mai 2013 (Airstrip is planned)
May - Aug 2013: 465 US$ pppn sharing, 560 US$ single
Sept - Dec 2013: 355 US$ pppn sharing, 450 US$ single
Jan - Apr 2014: 300 US$ pppn sharing, 395 US$ single
Honeymoon chalet: supplement of 50 US$

Union's End Lodge
Opening September 2013.
Sept - Dec 2013: 280 US$ pppn sharing, 375 US$ single
Jan - Apr 2014: 250 US$ pppn sharing, 345 US$ single

Night drives: 30 US$ pp, Morning drives & Evening drives 60 US$ pp, Morning walks 25 US$ pp.

Who is in? -O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Eish! Can't help but worry about the water should there even be a small dry season!

Once again, massive infrastructure expenditure and capital outlay without being sure if it will pay for itself... 0-

Wonder if Botswana can claim the profits? -O-

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I wonder if Union's End will still go ahead... It's old news from last year,
but in November 2012 Ta Shebube amended the openings for Rooiputs and
Polentswa and the opening for UE is now TBA. :-?

Those lodges are on the Bots side, so I assume they get the profit (if any :twisted: ), RP -O-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Toko wrote:
Rooiputs Lodge
Opening April 2013

Polentswa Lodge
Opening May 2013 (Airstrip is planned)

Union's End Lodge
Opening September 2013.
If the opening was/is this year, then Mel and Nan might have seen the construction when they were here earlier?
What did it look like - acceptable for park standards? ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Haven't seen anything of Polentswa and never drove that stretch of road
where you can see Rooiputs from. But nan did. And I think she got photos
of it as well. From what I saw - I will have to admit that it looks acceptable
for the surrounding. But I still don't appreciate the lodge. :twisted:

As for Union's End - I have no idea if you could see something or not as
I don't know if the constructions as already started or not.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

Yes, I saw a little bit at Rooiputs... but from the road, and I got a picture (did I already put in my TT ?)
The way leading to the camp is "only for residents" , so, I stayed on the road ;-)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Proposed Developments, KTP”