Do people really want 'upmarket accommodation' - Sat Aug 27,

General Information & Discussion on Hotels in Kruger
iNdlovu

Do people really want 'upmarket accommodation' - Sat Aug 27,

Post by iNdlovu »

One of Sanparks' argument in favour of building hotels/lodges, whatever they want to call it, in the park is that there is a call for upmarket accommodation to suit the 'Black Diamond' market. (I really don't know why Dr M had to point out a section of the population defined by race.)
Aikona has always argued that we already have these facilities in the form of the private concessions. I saw this post on the other forum, which tells me that there is no truth in SanParks' statement that there is a demand, if the rumour is true.

" There seem to be rumours flying around that Nkambeni Tented Lodge close to Pretoriuskop in the KNP has been liquidated. Does anyone know if this is so and does anyone know who will be taking this lodge over or if it will be closing? Also will they still have safari vehicles driving in the park?"

A mods reply...in part was.....

"If I look at availability page I get a "Invalid Property" error, so it is far from unlikely that they are indeed gone."

Can anyone confirm this, it could strengthen our argument.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Do people realy want 'upmarket accommodation'?

Post by Lisbeth »

harrys wrote:Why would you want lux accomodation when you go to Kruger(or any park) -O- , you go to Kruger to see the animals and to take in nature, when we go to Kruger we want to get away from all technoligy and lux things, we dont even take a tv with \O . People who want all these lux accomodation and spa's and and.... can't really be nature lovers, or can they -O-
Lisbeth wrote:The story of the Black Diamonds is partly an invention of Dr. Mabunda, because he wants to be seen as one who has made a difference for the black.

In my opinion it is to cater for a certain part of the overseas tourists, who wants an all included package. The Rezidor Group would certainly not go into this deal with closed eyes, they must have done their homework and must know that their is a clientele for those lodges. They will probably be less expensive than the private lodges and will be able to cater for big groups at reasonable prices.

The Rezidor could easyly have built them just outside the Park and not pay a cent to Sanparks, but then.............. O**

And probably as a marketing tool, to be "inside" is quite important.
serval wrote:I hear Nkambeni's website is still live .

I wish I could find the link to a survey done by a British (?) tourism authority which indicates that tourists polled by them are increasingly seeking a more basic holiday experience in Africa ...

I think a certain Sanparks forum member may have sent it to me ...
Lisbeth wrote:I think there is a tendency all over in the capitalistic communities to go "back to nature" when on holiday. Also because it is all alike all over. When you have seen one hotel or lodge, you have seen them all.

A Radisson in Marakesh or even Sardinia (island in Italy) and one in Kruger are exactly the same, only outside it is different. Even the food is the same :roll:
and this goes for all the big hotel chains.
joekin wrote:
harrys wrote:Why would you want lux accomodation when you go to Kruger(or any park) -O- , you go to Kruger to see the animals and to take in nature, when we go to Kruger we want to get away from all technoligy and lux things, we dont even take a tv with \O . People who want all these lux accomodation and spa's and and.... can't really be nature lovers, or can they -O-
we have singita for that.

I can't seem to classify diamonds as middle class.
Diamonds are precious stone, and to me it actually seems to be aiming for the upper middle class and above.
I have personally noticed that the black diamonds prefer the sea.
If they don’t want to visit our national parks, then they don’t want to, but don’t blame this on it being because of post 1994 events, and that game parks are seem as “white”.

In all my trips to knp and pilanesburg, you see whites, a lot of muslims and Indians, and hardly any coloureds.
I have spoken to my black friends and coloured friends and they say they just don’t have any interest in Nature.
Its still sad that in our 17 years after our first democratic elections people still want to play the race card, and then call us the racists for answering back because of statements made
serval wrote:
serval wrote:I wish I could find the link to a survey done by a British (?) tourism authority which indicates that tourists polled by them are increasingly seeking a more basic holiday experience in Africa ...
Found it ...

http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsDeta ... wsId=60223
Lisbeth wrote:This is also my impression, but for different reasons. Even people who can afford it are fed up with the same kind of luxury all over. There is a tendency of back to nature and I am not talking about camping and back packing, because they still want the comfort in the sense of a decent kitchen and bathroom, but in contact with nature and no staff around when you are there. At the luxury lodges there is too much eating and drinking too and it does not suit everybody.

The prices of hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs, especially in places like Cape Town and other principal tourist destinations have levitated above reasonable limits. It seems that a 10/15% per year is the rule and it is far too much and far above the inflation rate and in the long run the tourist industry will pay for their avidity.

If South Africa do not keep their prices lower than their direct competitors, they will loose a lot of visitors who will go to Botwana, Namibia and Tanzania. I will be one of those, because if I cannot trust the state of the accomodations in Sanparks, I will rather go somewhere else. Last time the level of some were below decency.
Richprins wrote:Thanks for the link, Serval! Very interesting!

As said on the other side, I did a survey of black kids (upper middle class) and they MOSTLY said their families simply were not interested in overnighting in Kruger, unless with family over there or simply for practical distance/time reasons.

They all LOVED kruger, though, and many actually chose the Kruger topic provided for this week's speeches in class! \O

Fancy accommodation seemed to be for another type of holiday elsewhere, rather understandably!

Ironically, many were very tickled with camping in the bush...something for the future? :shock:

Re. the "black diamond" reason for hotels, it's sort of a race card in advance, and the main reason for especially the Skukuza hotel is to provide easy accommodation for political meets at the conference centre so the Province can brag a bit.

The Malelane hotel was stated by Sanparks as targeting local officials (ie Nelspruit government types) for weekend getaways in style...all very vogueish! :roll:

Still see a white elephant there! O/
iNdlovu wrote:So I wonder if, when it proves to be a white elephant and a total loss, will they tear it down or just let it become a delerict edifice. Another expensive mistake -O-
Lisbeth wrote:I presume they will wait building more hotels, until they have seen how the Malelane one works out.
iNdlovu wrote:No, no,no. The Malelane or any other hotel is not going to happen, we have to see to it
Richprins wrote:Lis, in 2009/2010 I would have agreed, but now things seem to be happening!

If they do go through, it will be through sheer bloody-mindedness, and because money has already been paid! :(
Lisbeth wrote:Lately I tend to be terribly cynical, but I hope that you are right \O

I wish I could do more, but it is not easy from far away. Apart from sending e-mails to the right and to the left, that might non even be read, there is only to hope.

Today I thought about the hotel business while I was driving. If they should decide to built hotels along the border of Kruger, remove all the camps and permit only group drives with the rangers? Wouldn't it be better for the park and the animals? I would hate it and never put my feet there anymore, but honestly........ :?
Richprins wrote:That's a different subject, and won't happen in or lifetimes, I think! :wink:

The logistics are just too massive, and those workers already there will kick up a huge fuss!

Their is no commercial or environmental justification for it....perhaps political...

What's built is built, just no more! :cry:
Lisbeth wrote:Then I'll delete my post :wink: it is too theorical. Sometimes I forget how things work or don't work in South Africa :wink:
Richprins wrote:No, don't delete!

Nobody knows how things work here! :cry:
Lisbeth wrote:Often when you are not directly involved the picture stands out very clearly, mostly without the details, but I have started getting and idea and what I see is not at all pleasant.
Richprins wrote:Well, in my experience the current crop of "powers that be" in this country have little drive and short memories, except as far as their personal wallets are concerned, so let's see! \O

Return to “General Hotel Discussions, KNP”