Flavour of the Month - September 2014 - S1 Doispane Road (Phabeni - Skukuza) & Nyamundwa Dam

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month - September 2014 - S1 Doispane Road (Phabeni - Skukuza) & Nyamundwa Dam

Post by Richprins »

A trip in the rain (cheetah writes very well!) 2012:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 8&start=10
cheetah wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:38 pm Day 2 Morning!

What would be the first animal??

Anything could happen somewhere over the rainbow right? Well as the car rolled up to the first Phabeni Bridge, there was a shape in the reeds which did not seem to conform with its surroundings . I stared at this shape as the car drifted forwards. All the while trying to decipher this odd mass amongst the reeds. As the angle of the car provided an opening in the reeds, the anomaly was identified:

A Reedbuck Image
Image Image

What else would one find in the reeds? The male was too far away and light was poor. But as luck had it that day, Rachael and Rebecca Reedbuck came to say hello on the left!!

Aren't they just lovely?! Rachael and Rebecca Reedbuck are dainty ladies by nature. Elegance can be seen by every movement of theirs. Thank you for the welcome ladies Image

A few meters down the road it was an odd 'popping' sound that caused me to reverse Image The sound had come from this Black Bellied Korhaan!
He was looking so pretty in the Saturday drizzle! It was only later in the trip that I managed to capture the vocalisation on camera. The Korhaan is so proud of his call that he makes!! He gathers up looooots of air to make that unique sound! It was mightily cute and unique :D We waited for a good number of minutes for the next vocalisation!I think everyone in the car gained a new appreciation for this bird on the trip. I went from a drive past animal, to a stop and listen animal :D He was more unique than we ever gave him credit for.

This is the wonder of having your window open! The sounds and smell of the bush! The sharp fresh fragrance over the rainbow is something remarkable! The pristine, clean, crisp, cleansing air does something for the soul! I was sommer loving this Kruger morning air when my ouma squeeked:
“niks is so onaangenaam soos 'n koue windjie nie” (nothing is as unpleasant as a cold breeze) :roll:

So I had to close my window :roll: I complained bitterly about the lack of vision through my window which now had zillions of raindrops blocking my once perfect view Image
Fortunately, the next Kruger gift was large enough to spot through the droplet fortress!
A Nellypant!!!!! Image I didn't hesitate to open my window and unleash Antarctica upon the car! :twisted: Because here stood the big grey. The oil fountain!
This is Nellypant with a bit more context!

The next sighting was a slightly sad one … this impi warrior had a growth on his throat :(
Could it be caused by Bovine TB?

Soon afterwards we made a miraculous turn onto the N17 to Potch where we found Rhonnies!!!!
Image Image Image
You see they even had a smallyceros with them!!
Too cute!!!

And at klipsringer koppies we found the residents
These are mos the pets of parra Image
The sightings of the 'ordinary' animals were just too lekker

Image Image Image

Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top that's where you'll find me

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month - September 2014 - S1 Doispane Road (Phabeni - Skukuza) & Nyamundwa Dam

Post by Richprins »

cheetah wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 am Now on the S1 the grass was so lovely and green dotted by tall Marula trees. We were just admiring the scenery of the lush Phabeni when I noticed a flash of white through the branches to my left. Perhaps it was merely a figment of my imagination? Still, I slow down to stare through the twigs and inspect the scene of the white flash. When out walks the culprit. A brute of a bachelor flicking his tail in the air!

The mighty Brutus walks out into the open!!

The impala stood as still as sticks when Brutus stared them down!

But Brutus was not interested in munching any impies right now. He just walked off West in to the sunset!

And so did we

What a perfect afternoon over the rainbow!!!!!
Image Image Image

Lazy Horses galore!!
Image Image Image

When we got home we had discovered my ouma was well into the bottle of sherry! And having a great time Image.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

cheetah wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Yet when we came to our famous intersection with the S1/H12, there was a clear traffic hold up. I immediately thought – Leopard!! The honeymooners must be there in the ditch again!! Image Now the problem was the cars in the way of a clear view of the romancers! Image However when I pulled up as the back car in the procession, it turned out that I was in the ideal spot!!!! For on my right hand side, four black broad muzzles accompanied by large rounded ears appeared above the high rise! Their attentive gaze was fixed firmly to the West from whence we came, so I slotted into the reverse gear as the multicoloured coats of the Lycaon pictus began their pacey trot along the ridge!

Translated: “those are wild dogs! Those are wild dogs there!!” my ouma informed us with great excitement!! “can you believe there are wild dogs next to the road!!”. With a jumping jack of an ouma in the back seat, I swung the car around so the dogs would be on my dad's side and he could snap away. Also pointing my car in the direction the canines were heading! There hung a manic excitement in the car waiting to see what would unfold! There was movement to my left and my mom announced: “Here come the young ones!” Yet the smallies just sat there looking confused. Perhaps they had lost sight of their parents in between the sea of cars

We sat with the stranded smallies until one of the adults came over with purpose. The mom selected out one pup to reprimand!

This pup was clearly to blame for the separation, and mom gave puppy a shouting and hiding to match the crime of putting the brothers and sisters in danger!!

my mom spontaneously let out a cry of “hey!!” when the pup let out a squeal! An instinctive reprimand my mom let out as if our domestic cats at home were brawling! I found it hilarious that my mom had put her foot down and told a wild dog enough is enough!

The fullness of this spectacular sighting was now sinking in as I saw painted wolves all over the show!

The full pack in motion now, they took a turn onto the S1!

They looked like they were heading into hunting mode now! Built for the chase with light body and long legs, they looked like greyhounds on a mission! They become to spread out and flank to the left and right!

We could not keep track of their movements, and eventually lost them. Although I suspect the smart hunters probably found themselves some breakfast that morning! What a memorable sighting!!!!!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My ouma turned to my dad and asked: “does that mean we can have coffee now?”

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Nyamundwa dam can get very full!

n.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

When it is horizontal O** lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

=O: =O:

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

I used to enjoy this road, but not anymore.
It is a favourite with the jeep jockies entering from Phabeni and there are just too many of them @#$

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am When it is horizontal O** lol
i.jpg

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:13 am
Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 am When it is horizontal O** lol
i.jpg
And you thought my vertical braai was amusing ^0^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:twisted:

About the jeep jockeys...well, you are right! But sometimes the road can be eerily quiet. Also, theoretically, the jeeps come in 30 mins earlier and leave later sometimes, so one can hit an open space, especially out of season.

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”