KNP - Swazi Cape Town - HELP?

How to get there, road updates
trailrunner

KNP - Swazi Cape Town - HELP?

Post by trailrunner »

Can anyone assist with info regarding driving from Kruger to Cape Town via Swaziland?
We are just considering this as a change of pace, maybe spend one night in Swaziland on the way home and then veer off to Bloem and the N1 or any other recommended route. -O- :ty:

If you know not of your past and know not of your present, you cannot predict your future and will be like a cabbage in a society.
nan

Re: KNP - Swazi Cape Town - HELP?

Post by nan »

it seems not a lot of people saw your question 0*\
and I still can't help :no:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
trailrunner

Post by trailrunner »

Thanks nan

No worries, it probably is quite an obscure request as we are going to Cape Town.
I have noticed on here and the other Forum site, that I wont mention the name of, that Durbanites do use Swazi occasionally and that does make sense.

The thinking was merely to try to change things up a bit as part of the adventure and maybe even spend a night in Swazi as opposed to just hitting the N1. ..0.. ..0..

Oh well maybe I am to be the pioneer we shall see :-? We will take our passports just in case and I will report on the outcomes if that is what we decide. =O:

If you know not of your past and know not of your present, you cannot predict your future and will be like a cabbage in a society.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Bushcraft should have some advice for you...I'm sure he'll pop in here soon. \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Personally I wouldn't change your plans trailrunner unless you particularly want to see Swaziland as the route I take has a 40km stretch which is a mission for a 4x4 even due to a lack of road maintenance

I only travel the Mananga - Golela route and you are probably looking at the Jeppe's Reef route -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, Jeppe's Reef is not all that far from the N4, and you miss the roadworks..but that area of Swaziland is more montane...

You can stay at the Ca$ino! =O:

You can then come out at Oshoek...should be a reasonable road, the N11, I think, and wend your way down to Bethlehem.

Bushveld Jock is a sort of local in southeast Mpumalanga! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
trailrunner

Post by trailrunner »

Thanks Guys \O

Please forgive the lateness in my reply, just been jammed with nasty work stuff. O/ O/ O/

We are in a normal car so 4x4 aint going to work, just really wanted to establish if its worth spending a night in Swazi by way of doing something different on the way home.

The monotony of the N1 after what will be 50 years of traipsing that road is starting to get a bit much and if there is a detour I would happily explore the option. O/\ O/\

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

..0.. 0:

Exit Kruger via Croc Bridge gate
Enter Swaziland at Mananga Border post
Hlane National Park Swaziland -O-
Exit Golela Border post
Nkonkoni Jozini Dam -O-
Mkhuze -O-
Cape Vidal -O-
Imfolozi -O-
Beer in Toti X#X
Oribi gorge -O-
Umgazi Bungalows -O-
Mazeppa Bay O:V
J-Bay O:V
etc --00--

Plenty options along the coast 0()

trailrunner

Post by trailrunner »

Stop it Bushcraft ;-) if I had that much time I would happily spend an extra two weeks to get home sounds like a great itinerary for the rich and famous, retired or folk who just got nothing else to do, =O: =O: =O: sadly work will be beckoning. :-(

Here’s the thing, we do need to get back to Cape Town and I am happy to rejoin the N1 at Bloem but really just wanted look for an alternative and maybe spend one night in Swazi then hit the road in earnest. 0: I just wanted to know if the roads were okay, we are in a normal sedan and can do dirt roads that are like Kruger standard and not much more? -O- Also just wanted to know given the state of the roads how much of a detour VS going back through JHB I could expect -O-

:ty:

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Hi Trailrunner

I have been on business trips to Simunye region and we decided to travel through Swaziland from Croc bridge to Durbs for the first time in April after seeing it recommended on the forums .I was really happy with the route .There is a hectic pothole section on this route as Bushcraft mentioned its passable just slow down and follow the locals lead (often the other side of the road is the best) but the rest of the roads are very good condition . I will definitely do the route again in future . You could travel through Hlane National park http://www.biggameparks.org/hlane/ on the route .You could stay overnight (wild card is accepted). There are other big game parks as well.

Return to “Travelling to and from Kruger”