Amphibians Identification

Discussions and information on all Southern African Amphibians and Fishes

Moderator: Klipspringer

Moshi Monster

Amphibians Identification

Post by Moshi Monster »

Can anyone help me with the ID of this frog.

ImageImage

Moshi Monster

Re: Animal ID

Post by Moshi Monster »

I finally know the ID of the frog, it's a foam nest frog.
I got the answer out of Get Bushwise (A RIVER SAFARI) by Nadine Clark.

Flutterby

Re: Animal ID

Post by Flutterby »

^Q^ ^Q^ Moshi M

nan

Re: Amphibians Identification

Post by nan »

I've got four O**
No. 1

on the fridge at Lower Sabie NOV 2009

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
nan

Post by nan »

No. 2

Shireni March 2011

nan

Post by nan »

No. 3

Satara April 2011

nan

Post by nan »

No. 4

Lake Panic May 2011

Toko

Post by Toko »

0/* nan

No. 3 is a toad, one of these for KNP

Amietophrynus gutturali / Bufo gutturalis Gutteral Toad
This large toad has a pair of dark patches on the snout and another ... in the middle of the back and a greyish white belly. lt occurs throughout the Park, but is not often seen during the day.
Individual markings can be highly variable. The dorsum is yellow-brown with irregular darker brown blotches, and red patches on the back of the thigh. A light middorsal stripe is often present. Between the eyes, a pale cross is formed by two sets of dark patches. The forearm is edged with a row of conspicuous white tubercles. The parotid glands are large and distinct. Toes are webbed only very slightly at the base. The ventral surface is pale and granular, and the throat of the male is darkly pigmented. Males in breeding condition have distinct dark nuptial pads
SIMILAR SPECIES: A. maculatus can also have a light cross or stripe between the eyes. A. maculatus lacks the red infusions on the thigh that are present in A. gutturalis.
Red patches on hind legs are diagnostic.

O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

Amietophrynus maculatus / Bufo maculatus Flat-Backed Toad
The dorsum is tan with darker blotches and a light patch just below the eye. A light middorsal stripe is usually present and a pale cross is formed on the top of the head between the eyes. The parotid glands are distinct, but are not elevated as in A. gutturalis. Black tipped warts cover the dorsum and the parotid glands. A row of white tubercles is present on the forearm. Toes are webbed only slightly at the base. The ventral surface is granular and light with some gray mottling.
SIMILAR SPECIES: A. maculatus and A. gutturalus are similar in build and dorsal markings, but A. maculatus does not have the distinctly raised parotid glands seen in A. gutturalis, and also lacks the reddish markings on the thigh. A. maculatus is also smaller than A. gutturalis, with females reaching 80 mm rather
than 120 mm.

Bufo garmani Olive Toad
This large, brightly coloured toad is widespread in the Park. Like most toads it is not often seen due to its nocturnal habits. lt varies from dark brown to yellow-brown
A. garmani lacks the light cross on the head or light band between the eyes that is typically seen in A. maculatus. A. garmani also lacks dark markings on the snout in contrast to many other Amietophrynus species.

Amietophrynus rangeri / Bufo rangeri Raucous Toad
The Raucous Toad grows to about 10 to 11.5 cm in length. This large toad is stout with a blunt head and squared appearance. The skin is rough and dry with wart-like glandular elevations on the upper side and includes a pair of large and distinctive parotid glands on the neck. The eye has a horizontally elliptical pupil. The hind legs are longer than the body. There are no hard ridges on the heel of the hind foot nor discs on the toes, but the toes are slightly webbed with a narrow margin of webbing along the edges. The upper body surface is brown with irregular pairs of darker brown patches on the back. These are sometimes fused together across the midline and usually there is a dark bar between the eyes. A pale vertebral line may be present from the shoulders downwards. The underside is a dirty white with a granular texture.

Bufo fenoulheti Northern Pygmy Toad
Maximum size: 43 mm. Body: flattened. Above: grey to brown overall, with dark blotches; pale markings sometimes present; pale scapular patch

Schismaderma carens Red Toad
This large toad is pale brick-red above with two dark spots in the middle of the back and a greyish white belly. lt occurs throughout the Park, but is not often seen during the day. Not this one!

The other ones are all foam nest frogs, I think -O- no 4 is one for sure \O

=O: =O: =O:

nan

Post by nan »

\O thank you
what must I do ?
post your post and my picture in the thread ?

I've got nests too... but from which specie =O:

Image :-?

Toko

Post by Toko »

0/* nan, I am not sure with the toad 0*\ 0*\ 0*\

Anyone here who would know? -O- -O- -O- ExFmem must tell us O0

Return to “Amphibians and Fishes”