Re: Leopard

Post by Flutterby »

They don't even need to leave their bungalows!! :shock: ^Q^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Obviously they shouldn't even leave O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

Satara e.jpg
Orpen b.jpg
Orpen b.jpg (137.76 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Highlights from SANPARK's webcams -

Orpen - Sunday night and Satara from last night :-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

WATCH: Leopard vs leopard in unusual Kruger roadside fight

(Click above to see the video)

Finding one leopard is always a treat when on a safari, but two, that is something else!

In this Latest Sightings video, Ryan Jenkins, a 45-year-old self-employed carpenter shares footage taken on the 8th of August this year, on the road running next to the Sabie River towards Skukuza, just passed the S4.

"We were driving for a while and did not spot too much. We spotted the odd impala, a few hippos here and there, and general game. But, we came to one curve in the road where we saw a Giraffe standing in the middle of the road looking towards the bush closest to the river with his ears pulled down, which is an obvious sign of nervousness. Next thing, we saw this great big ball of dust going over the road and I said ‘OK guys, here we go’ and I drove towards the dust ball.

At first Jenkins thought it was a lion that just took down an impala.

"Getting there, we realized it was a leopard and thought ‘OK, cool! Leopard killing an impala!’ But, to our amazement, it was two leopards, and they were fighting!

When the dust had settled, we saw that one was rather young and small compared to the other, more dominant one, which was attacking the younger one. We actually thought for a moment that they could just be playing, but just a bit rough.

Jenkins says they soon realized this was no play-fight, but a brutal attack on the smaller leopard, possibly about territory.

"Once the little one showed he was submissive, by lying on his back and making himself smaller, the bigger leopard would turn around, walk away and let the little one be on his way."

But the smaller leopard came back again and again, he says.

"The older leopard grabbed the small leopard by the neck and held him down forcefully until you could see the little one suffocate and there was no life left in him.

"The dominant leopard moved his grip from the neck to the mouth. He then bit down so hard, we could hear the skull break. The whole sighting must have taken about 20 to 25 minutes, it was absolutely horrific to see, but at the same time, very interesting and exciting.

"This was not something you are likely to see again in a lifetime, my kids 7 and 5 could not believe what was happening, and the smaller of my two children were very sad and asked if the baby was dead? We just explained to him that yes, it was, but that this is how nature works, only the strong survive. They are wild animals and have to fend for themselves every day in order to survive.

Jenkins says the big leopard sat up, sniffing and licking the little one for at least 10 min, before wandering off into the bush.

"We went back later in the afternoon to see if the little one was still there, and yes, it was, but the next day it was gone.

"The only people that saw this incredible sighting was my family in my vehicle and a small white bakkie coming from the opposite side with three occupants. It was awesome, but we just wished that the little one had been given a chance to live another day, but as we know, that's life in the bush."

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Sad. :-(

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ 100p!

Really unique that video. :-? :-? :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Why on earth couldn't the little one walk away when he still had the chance :-(

Saw that Satara capture - quite lucky to have the camera spot on like that (pun intended lol ). \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Adorably naughty leopard cubs

Written, and photographs, by Dustin Van Helsdingen

This particular sighting was the highlight of our trip to the Kruger National Park in South Africa – one of those once-in-a-lifetime sightings that I will never forget.

We happened to come across a female leopard who was in the process of moving her two cubs to a new den. She was carrying one of her cubs in her mouth, and the other cub was following close behind. She was surprisingly very relaxed with all of us in the cars watching her, even though she had these two small cubs with her.

But these cubs were keeping mom very busy…

Right after she had hidden them in their new home and walked away, the little rascals came crawling out and started climbing a small tree screaming.

The mom returned and settled them down again in the den. After a few minutes, she once again left, but it didn’t take long for the cubs to reappear and proceeded to repeat the same sequence!

After returning and putting them away for the third time, the mom left once again…

That is when the one curious cub peeked through the grass right next to the road. It proceeded to come out completely and gave me this stunning pose before going underneath another car that had joined the sighting. It wasn’t out for too long and soon returned to the safety of the den.

I hope that this was a once-off naughty streak because this kind of behaviour will get this cub killed, as there are many dangers out there in the form of lions, hyenas, and raptors, to mention but a few. Stay safe little one and thanks for the great sighting!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

^Q^ ^Q^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Brilliant! O/\ X#X X#X X#X O\/ O\/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Mammals”