Preparing For Your African Safari

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Flutterby

Preparing For Your African Safari

Post by Flutterby »

Jul 22, 2015

Seasoned field guide and author Peter Allison delineates the ultimate safari check list…

Packing lists are all fine and well, but after many years of leading safaris there are certain things I see people bringing or forgetting on a regular basis. When planning a trip there are times you should have your wallet at the ready and other times it should be well tucked away (and not in a fanny pack – there is never a reason for one of those and anyway, it promptly tells everyone you are from far away). Below is a list that I hope is helpful in telling you when to splurge and when to hold back.

Splurge – Binoculars, a pair each. Imagine how frustrating it would be travelling with only one set of eyes between you? While most animals will be breath-holdingly close to you, sometimes they are high in a tree, across a body of water, or one of those things with feathers that flies off. Having your own binos leads to better sightings and longer marriages.

Don’t splurge – fancy safari clothes. Animals are colour blind so you could technically wear a shirt that Liberace would find over the top and not attract undue attention (from the wildlife), but do be aware that flies are attracted to dark blues and black, and so are Goths. Most important about what you wear is how little it matters to animals. If you’re coming on safari to impress people you meet along the way by all means stock up on every desert coloured item that Ralph Lauren (a regular safari-goer himself) has, but I promise you that the lions won’t pose more nicely for you than the guy wearing a comfy TJ Max t-shirt.

Splurge – a decent camera with a good zoom (at least 300mm). Yes, phones these days are taking better pictures than ever before, but nothing comes close to a proper SLR camera. Don’t be intimidated, even the heaviest models have some simple automatic settings if you aren’t already a pro.

Don’t splurge – on a place that brags about its furnishings, food and finery but never mentions its guides. No matter where you are in the world a great guide takes your trip to a different level.

Splurge – on a bit of education. Yes, you will learn a lot from your guides but can get even more if you’ve taken the time to learn something about their country. The history of Africa is as complex as any other continent, and you might just be surprised at how many success stories there are.

Most important of all is nothing you can buy. And that is simply enjoying what you get to see – who knows how many more generations will have the opportunity to observe so many animals in the wild? Have a wishlist by all means, but don’t let it get in the way of enjoying simpler sights like a baboon troop going about their daily doings or smaller creatures like mongoose, who are far more active than most lions you will ever see.

Splurge away, you’ll never regret it if you do it well.

Source: http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/blog/ ... can-safari

Amoli

Re: Preparing For Your African Safari

Post by Amoli »

Great reading and tips, Flutts \O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

nan

Post by nan »

so right \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Well-written!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I like that author a lot - and this is another infotaining piece by him. :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”