Elephant Management and Poaching in African Countries

Discussion on Elephant Management and poaching topics
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Elephant Poaching in Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, ...)

Post by Mel »

Well, who knows where that ivory really comes from. Might as well be East Africa. :O^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

How right you are, Mel! Did not think of that 0*\ On the other hand they do have lots of the material right there O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Puff Addy

Post by Puff Addy »

British pilot killed by elephant poachers in Tanzania

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... s-tanzania

Foreign Office confirms death of Roger Gower, who was fatally wounded when poachers shot at his aircraft as he helped authorities track them

Press Association

Saturday 30 January 2016 21.38 GMT

A British helicopter pilot has been fatally shot by elephant poachers in Tanzania, a conservation charity has said.

Roger Gower was helping authorities in Tanzania track the criminals when they fired on his aircraft on Friday, the Friedkin Conservation Fund said.

In a message posted on its website, founder Dan Friedkin said the organisation was “profoundly saddened by the loss of our dear friend”.

He said: “Roger was killed while piloting a helicopter during a coordinated effort with the Tanzanian wildlife authorities to track down and arrest active elephant poachers. In the course of this action the poachers fired upon the helicopter and Roger was fatally wounded.

“We are committed to honouring Roger and his work. We are also committed to ensuring that those responsible for this attack are found and brought to justice. We believe that Roger can best be honoured by redoubling our commitment to protect elephants and our priceless wildlife heritage.

“This tragic event again highlights the appalling risk and cost of protecting Tanzania’s wildlife.”

Gower was reported to be a former accountant who qualified as a pilot in 2004.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We can confirm the death of a British national in Tanzania and are providing assistance to the family at this difficult time.”

Tanzanian MP Lazaro Nyalandu, a former minister for natural resources and tourism, said in a tweet that Gower was shot by a poacher on Friday as he helped locate a group who had killed an elephant in Maswa, an area of the Serengeti in the country’s north.

The pilot managed to land but died before he could be rescued, Nyalandu said.

“RIP Capt Roger. You loved our country and I knew you on many flights we took together in defence of our wildlife heritage. Life is precious.

“Those poachers who killed Capt Roger are coward(sic), evil, and sad people. A fine-hearted individual gone too soon, and our hearts are broken.

“Capt Roger’s body was flown into Arusha early today, as those who killed him are still at large. Everything must (be) done to bring them to justice.”

Pratik Patel, a colleague from the Friedkin Conservation Fund, said Gower was shot on Friday afternoon during a patrol as he approached the last carcass of three elephants that had been killed by poachers.

He paid tribute to “a great guy, a great friend, a great pilot” who he said loved working with Tanzania’s wildlife.

He said his main role was flying people between the different camps on the reserve, but he also spent time every day flying patrols to support ground staff in their work against poachers.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Another sad story of somebody being killed while he was doing the right thing :-(

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Really ominous this...RIP! :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Puff Addy

Post by Puff Addy »

An update: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... n-arrested

Three men have been arrested by Tanzanian police. The natural resources and tourism minister, Jumanne Maghembe, said: “The suspects are in the hands of police. They are cooperating, and soon more people making up the poaching gang will be netted and brought to justice.”

Presumably they will naming names in some sort of plea bargain?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Tragic! :-(

Toko

Post by Toko »

Long article about KAZA: National Geopgraphic: Elephants Wiped Out on Alarming Scale in Southern Africa

Southwestern Zambia has turned into a poaching hotspot, with an estimated 95 percent drop in the region's elephant numbers.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

This comment by a person called Connie Harlan describes very well how I feel about reading the article...
After reading this story, I feel physically and mentally ill. My heart is very sad. I understand that a large number of people in Africa live in poverty, and can partly understand a person's need for money. But, at what cost? If this poaching continues, soon there will be no elephants in our world. These beautiful, intelligent majestic animals must some how be saved. Why can't people of Africa see value in the lives of these beautiful animals.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Bad, very bad :evil:

Return to “Elephant Management and Poaching”