Gharagab and Surrounds

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
Sharifa

Gharagab and Surrounds

Post by Sharifa »

Deep in the northern dunes lies a camp where time literally stands still. Gharagab is a Wilderness Camps not set on a riverbed. It is about four hours’ drive from Nossob and about 13km, as the crow flies, from Grootkolk. Set deep in the dunes this camp is the most remote and tranquil of all. The camp can be reached by 4x4 vehicles only, on a one-way entrance sand road which starts near Union's End waterhole. Driving to Gharagab you wonder why it is a 4x4 road since the road to Camp is fairly smooth and easy to drive.

I offered to drive; one of my rare offers! It is only when you leave Gharagab and return to Nossob on the exit road that you find the challenge of dune driving.The tallest dune has to be crossed and the Driver got over it at the third attempt 0*\ :O^

We did find some animals on the drive to Gharagab

Gemsbok

Red Haartebesst

Springbok at the Gharagb waterhole, not to be confused with the waterhole at the camp.

Then you get to the camp which has only 4 units. Our car parked next to unit 1

Gharagab has a viewing tower with panaromic views

Me, alongsied unit 3 at Gharagab, the camp wher you can get your toes into that red Kalahari sand. Welcome to Gharagab O/\ O/\ O/\

Last edited by Sharifa on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Flavour of the Month - July 2014 - Gharagab and Surround

Post by Mel »

Distances
Gharagab Dam to Gharagab Camp: 17 km
Gharagab Camp to Dankbaar: 4 km

Gharagab Camp to Nossob: 109 km
Nossob to Gharagab Camp: 156 km

Gharagab Camp to Grootkolk: 56 km
Grootkolk to Gharagab Camp: 61 km

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

We have stayed twice in Gharagab. October 2011 and December 2012. The first time we were in Unit 1 and the second time we had our son and DIL with us and had Units 3 and 4. Below is picture from Unit 3 of Unit 4, as you can see nicely spaced. The control swith for the waterhole light is in Unit 3. The Camp Attendant will request that you swith of the light by 10.00 PM

You can only check in at 2.00PM and there is only one little drive from Gharagab as the road leading in and out are one way. You can drive the 4km to Dankbaar Waterhole and back. Dankbaaar has been closed for the last year and half but this means the animals have to come to Gaharagb.

So when you get to Gharagab you will unpack and just relax waiting for your first sunset at a very special place

On our second visit we had the bonus of a full moon

The driver attending to the fire :-0

Gharagab at Twilight

The sunset

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

It is a smashingly beautiful place - and very peaceful. O:V
We only went there once so far and with Spots back it's unclear if we'll ever be able to go back. 0:
But already the drive in was captivating. :-)

March 2013

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

On our December 2012 trip to Gharagab, we found these colourful flowers and plants after the rains

The Devil's Claw

The Gemsbok Cucumber

Don't know the name of this one -O-

A singing canary

A butterfly

A Crimson Breasted Shrike

a striped mouse feeding on a plant

We saw quite a few of these little fellows running around. I try to stay far away from them but had a episode with one which ended in disaster for the poor chap :-(

One ran into our unit and made himself comfortable in one of our crates, which I left open by mistake 0*\

Not realising he was in the crate I pulled out a roosterkook packet and found a trail of flour on the floor. He had started his meal with roosterkook flour and was sitting under it looking almost cute. I screamed for the Driver to save the day and he did. He took the crate outside and sent the mouse on his way.

Unfortunately his friend was still in the cabin. He took shelter in the bed and nibbled a little nest in the matress and settled down. I, on the other hand, decided to put all the crates on the bed out of harms way. In doing so I mistakenly squashed the poor little guy not knowing he was in the bed, under the duvet.

When the driver decided to have a nap in the afternoon, he moved the crate and then asked what is this lump in the bed :o0ps:

Toko

Post by Toko »

Lovely plants, Sharifa O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

The pink one is a Bushman Poison Bulb Boophone disticha - a new one for the AW books O:V

I have not seen much at Gharagab, but I like it, the setting is peaceful and it's nice to get away from the river beds and see the duneveld vegetation O:V

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Poor little mouse nan :o0ps:

Gharagab Sunrise

On our October 2011 trip we had a herd of springboks at Gharagab for the two days we were there. Little ones, big ones, springboks pronking, adults sparring with one another. It was a magical two days O:V

Greater Kestrel

PCG

Sunset at Gharagab

Duke

Post by Duke »

This was the waterhole at camp nan. The springboks were at Gharagab Camp for 2 days. Nice pronking O\/

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

When the waterhole is filled to the top one can get beautiful reflection photos. The contrast of the red sand with the water is also stunning.

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Thanks Flutterby and nan \O
Mel wrote:I was also amazed at the contrast between the deep blue of the water and the lively orange of the sand.
Mixed with some sheep clouds in another deep blue and some green of the trees and bushes it makes for
a wonderful scenery. :-)

The last one is superb as well. Was it about to thunderstorm or did you have one before? :-?
The last one was taken at sunset Mel

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”