Kgalagadi Cheetah Discussion

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Kgalagadi Cheetah Discussion

Post by Mel »

And so the Elena/Lisette Family saga continues:

I picked up a cheetah sighting on the Namibia forum (it's from Switzerland). It was on the 21 November 2018 near Rooibrak.
A female cheetah (Hanri) had caught a springbok. No sign of her daughter. Hanri was calling for her though but the kid didn't
show up The visitors eventually moved further north and bumped into a young cheetah. Turned out to be Hanri's offspring.
But not long after she had appeared a second female showed up behind her. The other - older - female basically delivered
the younger one to her mother's doorstep. But she was never allowed to share some of the kill. Hanri wouldn't have it. So,
at some point the foreign female left again. Turned out to be Lizzie - Corinne's daughter from the 2016 litter.

Them two - Hanri and Corinne - are really something when it comes to their respective offspring!

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

I need you because I can't even ID Corinne properly :no: - and I should know her well! :yes:

Enjoy your weekend away and I'm sure I'll get caught up on your TT by then. I want to do it justice, not just quickly sift through. :-0

Next up:

Sighting 3 - 9/27 9:38AM ; lone cheetah on dune, 1-2 km E KK turnoff on lower dune rd (this is all I have - too many obstacles in the way)
IMG_8954_chee3.jpg
IMG_8954_chee3.jpg (442.93 KiB) Viewed 556 times
IMG_8956_chee3.jpg
IMG_8956_chee3.jpg (410.8 KiB) Viewed 556 times

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Here are my final 2 sightings of cheetahs - the first is pretty much like the other unidentifiable - on dune, POOR photo :o0ps:

10/1 9:15AM ; lone cheetah on dune top betw. Dalkeith and Vertiende - approx. 1-2 km S of Dalkeith

chee5.jpg
chee5.jpg (294.52 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

UPDATE

On the Aoub Side

Very happy to announce that Hanri's surviving girl from 2017 (now referred to as Hannah) was seen this month.
I find this particular great news because all other offspring have disappeared, so Hannah gives hope to take over her mum's legacy one day.

Hanri's latest offspring (born somewhen between the end of June to early August) are down to two (from four).

Shortly after Hanri lost two of her four cubs, the lost ones ran into Lizzie who wasn't very gentle and slapped one pretty hard. Obviously Lizzie was not prepared to take in her auntie's cubs like the auntie did with Lizzie's mother's (which is Corinne, if you lost track).

Corinne does not have another set of cubs as of yet.

Her 2016 daughter Lizzie has her first offspring. An about 6 to 8 months single cub.

Her 2014 daughter Cora, who had 4 pretty grown cubs (about 16 months old) was kill, probably by lions, at Sitzas waterhole on the 26/10.

On the Nossob Side

Catrin has two cubs again. They must have been born early this year.

Also, there seems to be a new male coalition at Marie's. The two were seen quite regularly lately.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

GavinW wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:40 am
15 June: Our last day in the park. Will the KTP deliver?

Always on top of dunes, or so it seems

We watched the couple as they moved along the dunes in the direction of Kij Kij, and slowly they started making their way closer to the road.

They got to the road, and crossed it behind us

And were quickly over the road and up the dune on the other side.

This is actually a very exciting sighting!

It's a male and a female who are kind of related to each other. The male is Jewel. He's an offspring of Precious and was born in approx. March 2016. The lady is Pearl. She's a daughter of Gift and was born also in approx. March 2016.

As a reminder: Precious and Gift are sisters...

There is one more sighting of Jewel in December 2017 - on his own.

Then he met up with Pearl in June 2018 (Gavin and Debbie's sighting). They seemed to have stayed together for a while because I have another record from July 2018.

In Februar 2019 Jewel was on his own again before meeting up with Pearl once again in October 2019. Plus, they were also seen in 2020, but I don't know which month that was, so no idea if they stayed together or separated and met up for a third time.

Last sighting of Jewel was in July 2021. Pearl unfortunately has ducked after that 2020 sighting.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O Mello!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Interesting!!!

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

^Q^ ^Q^ I'd get lost 0*\ lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

0/* Mel,
What current cheetah mom has 4 cubs please? Will save me a lot of blind searching. O0 O0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I'm not sure, Ex... Auob or Nossob? How big are the cubs?

Maybe just post the photos, because I'm not sure I know of 4 cubs at the moment. :-?

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”