Where to stay on the way to KTP?

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
ExFmem

Re: Where to stay on the way to KTP?

Post by ExFmem »

I hope someone can answer my question even tho' it is quite vague...Last year on our way to the KTP we saw there was construction of some sort of (chalets?) accom. very near to the park entrance, up on the left side dune area. Anyone have info. about these, as it would certainly be an option if all of the accom. in KTP were booked? Thanks!

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, I saw them as well and have some obscure pieces of info about running around
my mind. But too unsure to post any of this here. Will try to find out in less than two
weeks time and share the info at the end of the month / start of April. I'm interested in
those myself - for the same reason as you. But also to find a budget alternative. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Actually, I finally found what I was googling for:

http://kgalagadi-lodge.co.za/

That's the one, ExFmem. \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And as we are at it - there are two more close to the Mata-Mata gate:

http://www.safarinow.com/go/Sitzas/

http://www.safarinow.com/go/TorgosSafariLodge/

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Wow, Mel, thanks for all the great info. I'm sure it will come in handy for lots of us. Much appreciated!

harrys

Post by harrys »

Hi there 0/*

Is it possible to drive from Boksburg to Twee Rivieren in 1 day -O-

I might be planning a trip for August -O-

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Its possible.

We did it towing at 100 km/h from Secunda leaving very early at 3 am arriving at TR at 4:30. That included two border crossings into Botswana and back out again via Van Zylsrus. The Upington route is only 100 km further excluding 50 km of gravel road from VanZylrsrus to the border post at Gemsbok. Normally the same time to travel either route.

The total distance from Secunda to TR via Upington is 1170 km and at avg. of 100 km/h it will take ~ 12 hours. Gate closure is 18:30 and in your case you can leave one hour later than us and arrive earlier if not towing.

The fastest time is early morning avoiding Joburg to Potch traffic and taking N17, then N12 to Potch and Klerksdorp. Continue to Wolmaransstad, Schweizer-Reneke, Vryburg and continue on N14 to Kuruman, Olifantshoek Upington.

Yesterday we travelled a bit slow taking the N14 and travel through Krugerdorp Roodepoort to connect to the N1 and then N17 taking 12 hours on 1000 km from Upington. We got to Krugersdorp at 3:30 and peak traffic along the highway. Best to avoid that route although it can also be very busy from Potch to Boksburg. Worse case I think will be 14 hours.

Where did you get bookings?

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
harrys

Post by harrys »

Thanks for the info PRWIN \O

I don't have bookings yet just busy planning and getting some info, I think if I can get bookings at Twee Rivieren it will be ok, we will be camping but with a tent :-) I don't want to pull the caravan that far with my car, will do that route when I get a bakkie :-0

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”