Nudist Beach on SANParks Land?

Information & Discussions on Table Mountain National Park
Toko

Nudist Beach on SANParks Land?

Post by Toko »

Sandy Bay’s strong naked appeal
December 21 2014 at 12:23pm
By Kowthar Solomons

Cape Town - A group has launched a petition to have Sandy Bay officially declared a nudist beach, with hopes of ending its dismal reputation as a hot spot for prostitution and peeping toms.

The Western Cape Naturist Association launched the petition last week and has already collected over 300 signatures.

Sandy Bay beach, which is on South African National Parks (SANParks) land, has been well known as Cape Town’s unofficial nudist beach for at least four and a half decades.

But its reputation as a prostitution and sexual harassment hot spot – as well as incidents of pictures of beachgoers being posted online – has led to a drastic decline in its popularity over the past five years, said the association.

The association’s chairman, Serge Pavlovic, said the only way to revive Sandy Bay and keep away negative elements was to officially declare it a nudist beach. This would provide beachgoers with legal protection against antisocial and criminal elements.

“Ten years ago, you would see thousands of people at the beach every weekend, but now you are lucky if there are a few hundred,” said Pavlovic.

“People need to know they are safe.” Pavlovic said there were often misconceptions about nudist beaches.

“People often think it’s about a sexual lifestyle, but they don’t know what naturism is about.

“If they took the time to learn more, I’m sure they would be much more accepting of it.”

Should the petition be successful, Sandy Bay will become South Africa’s second official nudist beach after the Mpenjati Beach in KwaZulu-Natal was declared the country’s first nudist haven in October.

Pavlovic said they would submit the petition to the Western Cape government and SANParks at the end of January and expected a response within three to six months.

Economic Opportunities MEC Alan Winde said he had no objections to a nudist beach if it had backing from the public.

“If there is demand and it adds value to Cape Town’s reputation as a tourist destination, then I see nothing wrong with it.

“Of course, this is dependent on the success of the petition so the necessary policing or security measures can be put in place,” said Winde.

Paddy Gordon, Table Mountain National Park manager, said they were not against the idea of an official nudist beach, but stopped short of endorsing it.

“SANParks has not had any reason to date to object against nudism, and although we can’t declare we will be in favour of it, I cannot find any reason to object against the petition,” said Gordon.

He said even if the petition was successful, SANParks did not foresee additional deployment of rangers.

Despite the negative reputation Sandy Bay has garnered over the years, the beach still has its fair share of regulars.

A Constantia Valley teacher, who wished to be anonymous, said he and his wife have been regulars at the beach for the past six years.

“I’m glad they want to make it an official nude beach. I’ve heard stories of prostitution, but I have never seen it myself,” he said.

“Sometimes couples are a bit too brazen on the shores, but that is the worst I’ve seen.

“If its official, the beach will have the protection it deserves.”

Weekend Argus

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Nudist Beach on SANParks Land?

Post by Richprins »

A teacher?! :shock: :shock: :shock: O-/

:twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

I fail to understand why it should be safer if it was declared an official nudist beach 0-

SANParks and Cape Town must address the crime problems all over Table Mountain NP 0'

okie

Post by okie »

Richprins wrote:A teacher?! :shock: :shock: :shock: O-/

:twisted:
Of course \O They have sex education at schools , don't they O:V

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Read the article, okie...nudism has nothing to do with sex! :X: :no:

Good point, Toko! :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

I was pulling your leg ;-) RP

The " crimes " referred to in the article are not generally described , but entail not only muggings , or robberies , but also sexual offences such as rape , and of course unacceptable behaviour such as open intercourse on a public beach , which in itself could also be the cause/trigger for further sexual offences by perverts hanging around in the bushes .
Certainly I do not see how officially declaring it as a nudist beach alone will alleviate the problem , because those crimes -- muggings , rape , also occur on other beaches where people may sit in secluded spots in such places . On the other hand , by legalising it , may indeed be beneficial in that then the beach can certainly be patrolled officially , etc

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

;-) okie!

No need for eggshells her, was pulling your leg too! ^0^

nan

Post by nan »

I was... nudist... long time ago lol
and nothing to see with sex @#$

but here and now... not sure O**

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

nan wrote:I was... nudist... long time ago lol
:shock: Tell some stories, nana! O\/ ^Q^ 0()

Toko

Post by Toko »

Off topic posts won't last long here O** this is about conservation ^0^

Return to “Table Mountain National Park”