Karoo - Some Impressions

Information & Discussions on Karoo National Park
Mel
Global Moderator

Karoo - Some Impressions

Post by Mel »

Karoo
01/04/2012

For some reason we didn’t click with the Karoo. :O^ Admittedly, it is a beautiful park with gorgeous scenery and vast landscapes intermitted with stunning mountains. But SO and I are game hunters and the park doesn’t fit that bill really. Plus, all the 4x4s were closed due to heavy rain during the week before and my only chance to ever get to see Nossob and Bitterbal vanished in the hay. They and the rest of the pride were firmly stationary on the Nuweveld Loop at that time…

Before checking into our bungalow we decided to take a tour of the Lammertjiesleegte which is close to the entrance gate. It was there where we got our first impression that the critters roam the vast open area very far off from the roads. Fair enough and understandably so, but disappointing when you are trying to get some pictures… A little steenbok was the closest and SO managed to get a halfway decent shot of it between all the shrubs:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo and the Frontier Parks - Two-timing the KTP

Post by Mel »

Anyhoo. We unloaded the car and sat on the patio enjoy the vista:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Some birdies paid us a visit as well:

Cape Sparrow

Cape bunting (Tick!)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We didn’t rest for long though as we were curious to see the rest of the park. Well, the rest of what was available to see at that time. And apart from the Lammertjiesleegte it was only the Klipspringerpass, Dornhoek and the Potiekkertjie Loop. Like I said before, the scenery was stunning:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Especially with the moon showing above the mountain ridge. Shame it was such a harsh light still though:

And the moon:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The critters however kept running off even further into the field when we approached and there are only a very few photos to show:

However, we were able to tick of another antelope that we hadn’t seen before – grey rhebok

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And also a new korhan species – which I think is a Karoo korhan:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Then a couple of the usual suspects:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Back in the camp we settled down to watch the light fading over the mountains that could be viewed from the verandah.

SO would light a last braai fire on this trip.

Tomorrow we would be driving to Cape Town and leave the park time behind us.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Karoo
02/04/2012

For the next morning we had decided to have a bit of a lie-in as we wouldn’t go out on a drive anymore before leaving. But early nights make early mornings and so I awoke well ahead of the time we had wanted to get up. Which was not a bad thing as I could watch the daybreak with its beautiful rose colours:

We left the park around 9 am and were actually rather anxious about having to go back to civilization after having spent 9 nights in various parks. But October isn’t that far away anymore and then we’ll return ‘home’ to the Kalahari once again. Maybe I’ll see you on that trip again, but for now I say thanks for following our two-timing tour through the Frontier parks. 0/0

Return to “Karoo National Park”