Kruger National Park Leopards

Information and Discussion on the Fauna and Flora of the Kruger Park
JoeKing

Northern Part Leopards

Post by JoeKing »

Any idea of leopard population densities towards the middle and north of the park?

I know that the sabie river holds the highest density of leopards in the world.
But have also heard that the populations around the letaba river are very high.
But don’t see nearly as many leopard pics from up north.

Everyone that loves the north what are your hit rates compared to the south with regards to leopards.

I’m busy planning a march trip now and really want to do punda and crooks, but my SO has never seen Leopard in the wild before and would love to show her one.

Flutterby

Re: Northern Part Leopards

Post by Flutterby »

Our hit rate in the north on our trip at the beginning of October = 0. Our hit rate in the south = 0.

Just the luck of the draw!

Valandrich

Post by Valandrich »

Joekin.....we have seen two leopards in 6 days near the H1-4 / H9 junction (2 different locations) and the Sable Loop has also been very lucky for leopard!!
Check them out on my TR "Daily Visits to Paradise"

harrys

Post by harrys »

We had 3 Leopards in 5 days near Kanniedood dam and 1 near Redrocks in 2009 and in Sept 2010 we had none in 6 days.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hey, Krusty!

Shingwedzi is ironically possibly even better for leopard than the South, and far more private!

I've seen at least ten there over the years along the river East and West, no jokes, and haven't even stayed there the last 6 years or so!

But further North, highly unlikely! (3 in maybe 20 attempts!)

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Have seen at Punda 3 times and also other campers saw leopard.

Joe if SO has never seen leopard and you are generally down South when you have gone, it means you have to change something to get a different result. Either change SO's or go North.

General Gump

Post by General Gump »

Shingwedzi is great for leopards, have seen several in a few days on the Red Rocks route, many on night drives from Shingwedzi, and also on the Kanniedood dam road.
Punda is very reluctant to give regular leopard sightings, as is Pafuri. They are there but I do not see them often north of the Shingwedzi river.

Letaba has also yielded leopard for me , from Shimuwini to Letaba camp, especially early morning and late afternoon on the s69 and river loops around Letaba camp.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Best leopard areas in the North...
1. S56 from Shingwedzi to Babalala along the river especially the middle section
2. Pioneer dam..we have often seen them from the dam hide opposite the mopani camp
3. S142 Shongololo road southern section
4. Tzendze camp area at least 5 individuals along the loops around Mooiplaas picnic spot
5. Mahonie loop
6. Out the back gate at Shingwedzi camp..most nights calling out the back can hear them from campsite but in 60 yrs have never SEEN one yet sighting boards are a daily occurnce..= Right place right time!!
Never seen them on Redrocks but have seen a couple further on on the No Entry Shangoni rangers Road
7. Shipandane Hide = regularly!!

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Shipandane hide we always spenda few hours looking at the ONLY tourist visible nest of the White Backed Night Heron right in front...There are some rocks far to the left wher a female leopard has raised about 3 known to me sets of cubs over the years..She often comes out in the late afternoon to catch the setting sun very often with her brood

leachy

Post by leachy »

have encountered leopard once last year on the river road at Pafuri and there was a kill in a tree next to the levhuvhu river bridge in July this year.

as RP says.... have seen a few in the Shingwedzi area over the years

the biggest ..... and I mean the biggest problem in the south at a leopard sighting is the traffic

this chap was spotted just outside shingwedzi camp in jan this year

Return to “Fauna and Flora of Kruger Park”