The Manahvela Ben Lavin Nature Reserve

Richprins
Committee Member

The Manahvela Ben Lavin Nature Reserve

Post by Richprins »

The Manavhela Ben Lavin Nature Reserve lies 12km south of Louis Trichardt (Makhado) and 90km north of Polokwane. The reserve is roughly 2500 ha, with affordable accommodation facilities ranging from luxury tents, to brick chalets and huts.

Game found at Ben Lavin includes giraffe, zebra, tsessebe, kudu, wildebeest, impala, jackals and many more. [/color]

The land was given to the then Wildlife Society (now WESSA) and continues to be run as a Nature reserve!

It is difficult to find pics...anybody got some?

I visited this spot a couple of times as a schoolkid, and it's marvellous!

No big five, but quite well known. Normal bushveld animals, with a hide/trough at the little camp, where I saw my first bushpig! :shock:

You walk about at leisure,and I also saw my first wild python there...having lagged behind the group whilst pottering about the dry riverbed...a monster!

(Which quickly went underground and left no trace once I had called the others...)

(I suppose there were traces...but we were kids! :D
Last edited by Richprins on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: The Manahvela Ben Lavin Nature Reserve

Post by Richprins »

Date: 19 April 2002

LOUIS TRICHARDT –On Saturday, April 13, in what was said to be an historic occasion, one of the region's few private game reserves, the Ben Lavin Nature Reserve, was handed back to the Manavhela Community.
The restoration of land to the Manavhela community follows a landmark settlement agreement between the Manavhela Land Claims Committee and the Wild Life and Environment Society of South Africa (WESSA). The claim was filed on August 29, 1996 with the process culminating in a special handing-over ceremony attended by, amongst others Adv Wallis Mgoqi (Land Claims Commissioner), Mr Aron Motsoaledi (MEC for Agriculture), representatives of the Wild Life Society and members of the Manavhela community.

In his speech Motsoaledi said that being given the land back was just the beginning of the process. He urged the Manavhela community not to follow the same route as other communities who got their land back but later tried to sell it because they could not produce a profit from it. He also warned that although it is their land, the government will not allow anyone to squat on it.

"If you want to live like a king, you must work like as slave," Motsoaledi concluded.

Today known as Ben Lavin, the claimed land used to be known as Ha-Manavhela and consists of the farm Vygeboomspruit 286 LS and remaining extant portions 1, 2, 3 and 4. At the end of the First World War the Manavhela community, who occupied the land even before 1900, saw the arrival of the war veteran Ben Lavin. Shortly after his arrival the then Native Commissioner of Louis Trichardt informed the Manavhela community that Ben Lavin was the new owner of the land on which they were staying. They were subsequently turned into labour tenants and subjected to forced labour for a period of three to nine months a year in exchange for staying on the farm. Community members who did not comply with the conditions for staying on the farm were issued with "trekpasses" and ordered to leave the farm. In total some 600 households representing about 2 000 community members were removed from the land.

Following Ben Lavin's death the land was in 1975 donated to WESSA by Molly Lavin, wife of the late Ben Lavin. She also entrusted the nature reserve to them in her will, following her death in 1993.

From the start WESSA made it clear that they would not contest the claim. It was in this spirit of co-operation from both parties that a settlement agreement was reached and the claim was awarded to the Manavhela community in August last year. Although the land has been handed back to the Manavhela community, the Ben Lavin Nature Reserve will be managed as a going concern by the Ben Lavin Trust and WESSA, in partnership with the Manavhela community.

Saturday's handing-over ceremony also coincided with Ben Lavin's 25th birthday celebrations. The festivities were attended by a number a stakeholders, including the new management committee consisting of Messrs Peter Menné (chairman), Rumani Murwa Manavhela, Vasco Manavhela, Mandiwana Ramovha (Manavhela), Phillemon Manavhela, Gerhard Koch (Nature Reserve Manager), Hendrik Kock, Pieter Uys (WESSA) and dr. Oluf Martiny

Eland

Post by Eland »

Good day,
This topic is meant for those of us who wants to stay over on their way to the North of the KNP or to have a quiet holiday at a small Nature Reserve.

Some of you will know the place (near Louis Trichard in Limpopo Province) - and for a few years it was badly neglected :evil: Since the new manager took over, the place is really a pleasure to visit.
It also has beautifull conferense facilities and a large camping area. We only stayed over one night and left very early the next morning. You can walk around safely in the reserve as there are no "people eating" animals.

Few photos of the Chalets:

I will post some outside pictures in the next episode.

Eland

Post by Eland »

iNdlovu - Thanks for the comment.

Sprocky - I also thought I should talk to the Manager (Lourens) and tell him about this Forum. They need the publicity to get them back on the map after the fiasco with the previous managers. They are after all one of our Provincial Nature reserves.

Few photos of the "outside"
[/b]

Eland

Post by Eland »

Lisbeth, Amoli and iNlovu,
No excuses needed. Just book a holiday in the far North KNP and because it is a long way to go, you sleep over at Ben Lavin.....very easy and "uncomplicated" /angel\ -O

Few pictures of the wild life at the waterhole just outside the chalets
We also saw Waterbuck and Warthogs the following morning at 3.30 when we left for the KNP.

That is all for now. (for birders there are lots of birds such as the Gorgeous Bush Shrike/Konkoit)

norms

Post by norms »

Hi all,

Can anyone provide any recent information on The Manahvela Ben Lavin Nature Reserve - Where does one make enquiries to book accommodation?

Many thanks in advance - \O

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Howzit, norms! X#X

Found this for Limpopo Parks:

Reservations: +27 (0) 293 3611/2/3
E-mail: info@golimpopo.com

http://www.golimpopo.com/parks/nature-r ... re-reserve

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
norms

Post by norms »

X#X Hi there Richprins X#X

Many thanks for your reply and info - \O

Have a great New Year - O/\ O/\

Every time I get the news that another Rhino has died, a piece of me dies too - Edna the Brave

Return to “Limpopo Province Game Parks & Nature Reserves”